IGNORED

Gen 2 coil frustration

I ordered two new coils a week ago for #1 and #3. I just now got word that the #1 is on national back order until the 27th. Yamaha shows two different part numbers but both coils have the same Mitsubishi part number on them and the wires are the same length. Anyone know why I can use two of the same part that is NOT on national back order?

I've already checked the coil by itself and it is the coil, not the wire so this won't help me but I used this method when I had my XS1100 to replace all of the plug wires. I've tried searching old posts but could not find where anyone said that you can replace the wires on a Gen2. Sorry if I just missed it. Here's a link to the XS1100 site tech article. I've already cut my bad coil to see if it is set up the same an it is. I thought this might help someone else if they wanted to try it.

http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=137

Modified Gen2 Coil (640x480).jpg

Edited by Spyder
Added picture

Sorry, I just saw your reply. I spent a LOT of time trying to find posts on the correct way to check the coil. I did see the ones saying the manual was wrong. In the end, that was my first problem. The manual was wrong and I checked the coils the wrong way. Last night I went through All the connections and now all plugs fire.

I was surprised that no one commented on the ability to replace the plug wires since I saw many posts asking if it could be done.

Anyway, thank you again for going the time to respond.

Dave

Testing coils can be very problematic. The 1/4 to 1/5 volt most meters use for resistance testing will not arc nearly as easily as the 25,000 volts produced in the coils secondary. Or for that matter as much as the 12 volts from the battery. So here is my rule. if the ohm meter test the coli as bad it is bad. If a coil tests good with an ohm meter then MAYBE it is good and MAYBE not.

Mike

Thanks Mike. After finding a YouTube video on how to test them I found that they tested good. After cleaning all the connections I assembled everything and re-synced the carbs. Runs smooth like it used to.

• 6 months later...

i have this prob with my 200 RSV , where is the igniter located . might be prudent for me to clean those connections as well , when i check my coils

Sorry I didn't take any pictures but I had everything out. Fuel pump, battery box, mounting plate for the igniter. Just keep removing things till you get there. Simple fix in the end. Don't forget to use dielectric grease. good luck

OK, this discussion brings up a point I have been wondering about myself. As to my 08 RSTD. Now has 30K on it. I was looking at the Ing Coil mounting positions.

Of Note they are hard to get to !!! Rear's are bad enough, BUT ??? The two front cylinder coils. !!!! I see one of them in there, but still have not actually located

the Second one up front ???? I am assumeing at this point that the Radiator would have to be removed to get to it ??? Any comments on that point. ???

My reason for bringing this up, is --- Replaceing a bad coil on the road , would -- NOT --- be a fun experience , to say the least.

I also see that the wires are not replaceable, as on the old 1st Gen bikes ----

OK, I have another question, if anybody knows, or has tried this, Can the 1st Gen Coils, be used on the 2nd gen bikes ????

Has anybody tried that ??? ( Lots of 1st Gen coils available )

Also, thanks for the INFO, that the 2nd gen Coils, are on " Back Order " I think I will Order a set to have on hand if I need them.

Another point, or question. I was thinking of RE-MOUNTING, the two Front Cylinder Coils, to a more ACCESSEBLE Location, IF, I do replace them .

Would have to re-route the wireing, but not a big problem.

Also, if I did Re-Mount them, It would be nice to use the 1st Gen Coils, because it is easy to replace the Plug Wires !!!

At this point, my bike is running OK, however , thinking about " On the Road Repairs " of the Current stock Coil Setup, would not be much fun !!!

Another Question would be-- Is there any other TYPE, Coil, ( from any other bike ) that could be used, which has Replaceable Plug Wires ???

i found this uk site that sells motorbike coils very cheep.

they have v max coils, but any coil with the correct number of primary wires ( 2 wires for RSV ) with the correct resistance figures will be ok .

as you are going to be relocating them , HT cable length wont be a major problem.

they ship worldwide and you can phone/e mail then to discuss your needs.

pretty sure there will be a business doing something similar in usa

http://www.motoelectrical.co.uk/types/ignition-coils/?sort=favourites&limit=24&type=&make=

• 2 weeks later...