IGNORED

When doing the starter gear should I have.

Hi all.

Well I did the starter gear repair on my 87 last weekend and I think I may have done some thing wrong.

The pin that is inside the bolt that secures the fly wheel, does that have to fit in to a slot or grove so as to move the oil to the head of the bolt ? because there was nothing in the book about it having to fit in to anything so all did was place the pin in the bolt an put every thing back together.

Bike starts fine now but just want to be sure. Thanks

• 2 months later...

I'm surprized no one gave you an answer! I'm changing the Starter gear soon. I haven't been in there yet but I am reading the posts on the subject. The FSM is woefully inadequet on many point that are brought up in the posts here on the forum. Seems to me if you put everything back as you found it everything should be ok. Dingy (Gary) is the man on this. Send him a PM....

The pin just goes in the hole in the bolt, it does not engage anything.

My WAG of its purpose is to restrict oil flow out the end of the bolt. If they would have just put a tiny hole in the end of the bolt to get the proper flow rate then it could easily plug up over time, having the pin in there to rattle around keeps the flow restricted and keeps the hole from plugging up. But like I said this is just MY WAG.