IGNORED

brake caliper problem

frodotoo

Out here in Franklin NC and had to get a new tire due to picking up two nails, one hole which could not be plugged. Got it put back together with help from Rick Haywood and now having rear brake problems. The inner caliper pistons are fully depressed and the caliper is rubbing on the rotor. The outer pistons apear to be fully extended. Is there a way to correct this or is my caliper shot?

Start by using @cowpuc recommendation from Ricks Grinding Noise thread.

On the extended pistons use a strip of cloth soaked in brake fluid to clean the pistons, then push them back in with a clamp. set up your clamp to hold those 2 pistons in and gently press the brake to extend the stuck pistons most of the way out. Now clean them with the cloth strip and brake fluid.

With some luck you can get them cleaned up enough to get back to functional to get you through the trip and then do a proper rebuild once you get home.

Edited by Flyinfool

Found out what we did wrong, put the washer at the wrong place on the axle. It belongs between the caliper bracket and the swing arm and we put it between the wheel and the caliper bracket. Don't I feel stupid.:bang head:

Found out what we did wrong, put the washer at the wrong place on the axle. It belongs between the caliper bracket and the swing arm and we put it between the wheel and the caliper bracket. Don't I feel stupid.:bang head:

Sounds like something I would do. Glad you found it.

Not that I have done that, but I can assure you, you are not the first. I have to read the "how to change the rear wheel" thread about every time I have mine off to ensure I get assembly correct. And that is one thing mentioned is correct spacer placement. glad your up and running.

Last year after about 3 weeks with a brand new tire I had a flat coming home one day. I plugged it and was going to take it apart and patch from inside. when I got it off I decided the way the foreign object cut it I would just replace the tire. 1500 miles on the brad new one ouch.

Cut-tire-1400mi-b-web.jpgCut-tire-1400mi-web.jpg