IGNORED

Reviving a bike/ Muffler Help?

utadventure

My son-in-law has an 1980 Yamaha XS850G that he has let sit a couple of years. He enjoys the bike but is not mechanically inclined and funds are a concern. We are working to get the bike running again this year for his birthday. The starter quit, and he parked it at that point. My plans are:

Remove and clean out the tank, fresh fuel

Remove and clean the carbs

Sync the carbs

Track down the starter issue - I'm guessing the solenoid but need to test it.

Install new battery

Here's where I'm hoping for some input and ideas. The mufflers have lost the back end, making them straight pipes and too loud. I don't know much about muffler systems. Can the current pipes be repaired by putting in new baffles? Should I replace them? Many here have used mufflers off of Harleys, is this an option? Is it conditional on the pipe diameter? I'm not sure I know enough to ask all of the questions I need to ask.

Please let me know any info I need.

Dave:detective:

I have put stock sportster mufflers on a few different bikes 750s and a 500 honda they are usually super chep on ebay and easy to build (if you have to) mounts for, should probably fit the 850 as well. and sound nice too not

loud. heres a cheap set if your quick

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Sportster-Mufflers-Excellent-Condition-NO-RESERVE_W0QQitemZ160222688317QQihZ006QQcategoryZ35573QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

if not here another

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/80-83-Harley-Davidson-Sportster-Tapered-Mufflers_W0QQitemZ130209437087QQihZ003QQcategoryZ35573QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

The bike is alive and running well. We installed the charged battery, verified the solenoid works, hooked up the starter and ... IT STARTED!! Nothing more than a very dead battery.

So, we cleaned out the tank,replaced the muffler, changed the plugs, sync'd the carbs. We decided to strip the bike down and repaint it withh some of the excess black paint from repainting my trunk.

Turned out pretty well.

The bike is alive and running well. We installed the charged battery, verified the solenoid works, hooked up the starter and ... IT STARTED!! Nothing more than a very dead battery.

So, we cleaned out the tank,replaced the muffler, changed the plugs, sync'd the carbs. We decided to strip the bike down and repaint it withh some of the excess black paint from repainting my trunk.

Turned out pretty well.

Wish I could say the same thing about my son's XS850. He let it sit for a couple of years and the choke plunger rod in the carb corroded so bad it wouldn't move. He's got the carbs tore apart and we're now looking for a set of 'Parts' carbs to get it running again.

Wish I could say the same thing about my son's XS850. He let it sit for a couple of years and the choke plunger rod in the carb corroded so bad it wouldn't move. He's got the carbs tore apart and we're now looking for a set of 'Parts' carbs to get it running again.

Hey Condor,

We may not see eye to eye on everything, but we (or at least or families) have the same taste in bikes. I've owned an XS750 Triple for quite some time. I've acquired a pretty good parts stash in that time. What are you looking for, I can probably hook you up.

Paul

P.S. Eldest daughter now owns the Triple. Only thing she wanted for her 18th birthday.

Utadventure & Condor,

Just in case you haven't dropped in yet, head over to http://www.yamaha-triples.org . They are a really good group, with lots of info on the site.

Regarding the HD muffler question, I'm pretty sure that is a pretty common mod to the triples.

Condor, I may have spoken too soon. Am I remembering that the 850's had Keihin carbs? The 750 has Mikuni's, so I might not have much to help.

Rats, now I want to go get the triple running! I need more time!

Paul

Thanks 86er - I don't where the forks are from, he bought the bike as is.

Condor - If Tupperj doesn't have what you need, there is a website (not nearly as good as this one) www.yamaha-triples.com that may have some parts available.

the weather here is suppose to be great over the weekend and next week. Finally, riding time.

Thanks 86er - I don't where the forks are from, he bought the bike as is.

Condor - If Tupperj doesn't have what you need, there is a website (not nearly as good as this one) www.yamaha-triples.com that may have some parts available.

the weather here is suppose to be great over the weekend and next week. Finally, riding time.

My son located the choke rod, but now he needs the plastic cap that fits on the rod so the fork linkage can work. Anyone out there have that plastic cup floating around??? They aren't available from Yamaha any longer...