IGNORED

BUB re-pack or Harley Ultra Classic pipes-HELP?

thecount

Hello fellow Venture riders.

Need some input to my thinking. The BUB slip-ons tips have been flaking and chrome peeling. I will be pulling the pipes off, to have the tips either re-chromed or flat black.

I also have a set up new Harley Ultra Classic pipes that I can install for the time the other are off. SO, will the BUB's likely have never been re-packed. Time to do so, yes?

Will the be quieter? Your comment please.

And if re-packed what will the sound be like compared to the Harley pipes?

Looking for a low rumble tone, and not excessively loud. Don't need to make the other riding behind deaf.

Any input would be great.

Thanks in advance,

I had a set of Bub's and really liked the sound with no packing, but just could not get past the peeling tips. They replaced the first set of tips, and within a month the second set was peeling, after being assured by Bub's that they were no longer being chromed but were polished billet. I didn't want to go the blacked out tip route as I wanted to stay all chrome, so I bought a couple sets of Road King mufflers, one of which I hole sawed the baffles. If you just want a deeper sound then that is the way to go. If you don't drill or cut out the baffles then you will have a very quiet Venture. I bought a used set of Roadhouse slipons when I got my '99 and I really like the sound of them.

Ceramic packing, where did you order or the product type? Have only found fiberglass packing. Polished tips look great.

Steve

Found it on eBay... The deal is the ceramic will not break down as quickly as fiberglass due to higher temp resistance. They use FG when they build them and that's also why they continually get louder with age. When I took my Bub's apart there was one tuft of FG about the size of a quarter behind the baffle. The rest had disintegrated. They were loud and that's why the original owner got rid of them. Once rebuilt they were awesome....

Ceramic

Re packed mine a couple of times. HD tips can be make to work too. I like the sound after re packing but it never seems to last for long.

Gary, this is interesting. Are you saying there's a Harley tip that will fit the Bub's??? If so which one???

Thanks for the link. Looks like a little more than I'd like to get into. I was hoping that you had found something that would plug and play without any McGuivering. When looking for a set of turn downs I found that Bub's had gone out of business, and you had found a Harley size that would fit.

Thanks for the link. Looks like a little more than I'd like to get into. I was hoping that you had found something that would plug and play without any McGuivering. When looking for a set of turn downs I found that Bub's had gone out of business, and you had found a Harley size that would fit.

Thanks for the Ceramic advice and Ebay link. I am only guessing that you needed one sheet of the ceramic baffle batting for 2 pipes?

Steve

Actually it only takes about 6" to wrap around the baffle, and if I remember correctly the baffle is 17" long. I used the sheet at the original thickness when I wrapped, but after thinking about it the stuff can be easily pealed into thinner layers which would make it easier to wrap several times rather than all a once. And then put a couple of bands of masking tape to hold it into place while installing the baffle. The tape will burn off very quickly...

Anyone tried steel wool to pack them?

Pretty sure the steel wool will rust and disintegrate fairly quickly. Plus I don't think there's much sound deadening absorbing quality to the stuff. In the video they used rock wool and it didn't last either....

I've been looking at picking this up from Grainer's to repack a muffler set I have....any opinions?

http://www.grainger.com/product/UNITHERM-Ceramic-Insulation-23AR48?s_pp=false&picUrl=//static.grainger.com/rp/s/is/image/Grainger/23AR48_AS01?$smthumb$

That's a little over kill. You don't need anywhere near that much.

Jack,

How many of those kits off ebay did you have to order to repack both mufflers?

The eBayer I dealt with cut it to what I thought I might need Brad. The original size was 15"x36", and I had a lot left over. Probably enough to do a couple of more sets. I think it ran around $25 bucks with shipping. Unfortunately it's been a while and the memory fades. :backinmyday: OK I just went into my stash a found the ceramic leftover. The shipper was Randy Mott, 107 E 46th St #14, Garden City Idaho 83714. Here's the kicker... I bought this stuff back in Nov.2010. He may not be dealing in it any longer?? I think 6"x15" would be all you'd need per muffler....

OK I just did a google on the address and he's still in business. Give him a shout....

Randy's Performance Motors

107 E 46th St #114

Boise, ID 83714

(208) 908-4250

Edited by Condor

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the link. I ordered one sheet of this ceramic packing which based on other inputs, should be sufficient. Will see when it arrives to Canada, then time to undertake the work on the BUB's and modify the sound. While the tips are being cleaned up and painted or polished, will put the HD pipes on for a while to see how they sound.

Thanks for the link. Ride Safe!

Thanks for the link. I ordered one sheet of this ceramic packing which based on other inputs, should be sufficient. Will see when it arrives to Canada, then time to undertake the work on the BUB's and modify the sound. While the tips are being cleaned up and painted or polished, will put the HD pipes on for a while to see how they sound.

Thanks for the link. Ride Safe!

What did it end up costing you?? Also I picked up some stainless screen to wrap the ceramic from McMaster-Carr