IGNORED

OEM Fuel Line

• 3 months later...

On this tread, my '84 has not had the fuel lines replaced, EVER. I am the only owner and after 30 years and 82k miles, the fuel filter finally plugged up and I changed it, sorry to make everyone cringe, but had just failed to change it regularly. I will now.

My question is, do I need to replace the fuel lines, or not?

I was thinking something similar - a new filter wouldn't hurt, but I want changes to be upgrades wherever possible and not just 'good enough for another year'. The same goes for the fuel pipe - the petrol composition here may be different to your side of the pond, but it seems to be getting more caustic across the board and I don't trust the old stock in a lot of shops - a lot of old timers think if it's black and still flexible it's okay (and younger ones just want a part number) - so I want to know what the spec is that exceeds current requirements without costing an arm and a leg.

Edit - after reading around I've ordered 1m lengths of SAEJ30R9 pipe in different diameters.

Edited by greg_in_london

Ask my older brother, old gas line split and sprayed on hot surface resulting in a fire between his legs @ 70 mph. Had to ditch it to get off burned his right leg badly and some on the left. He will not even get back on a bike today.

Older gas line will break down using ethanol gas. I replaced all the lines on my 06 with ethanol approved line from the local parts house not that expensive. I also used regular hose clamps to ensure a good hold. You can use straight hose for most all 90s they just have to be long turns so not kink or fold them.

Ricky

I was thinking something similar - a new filter wouldn't hurt, but I want changes to be upgrades wherever possible and not just 'good enough for another year'. The same goes for the fuel pipe - the petrol composition here may be different to your side of the pond, but it seems to be getting more caustic across the board and I don't trust the old stock in a lot of shops - a lot of old timers think if it's black and still flexible it's okay (and younger ones just want a part number) - so I want to know what the spec is that exceeds current requirements without costing an arm and a leg.

Edit - after reading around I've ordered 1m lengths of SAEJ30R9 pipe in different diameters.

Did you order PIPE (made of metal) or HOSE (made of a rubber type substance?) sometimes the stuff made of the rubber type stuff is called a PIPE in parts books....

So far as expense goes it's always important to all of us BUT when we're talking about fuel hose, brake linings, clutches, tires, it's always best to go first class, remember if you by cheap you buy twice IF you live through the experience. I would recommend we ALL replace the fuel lines we haven't changes since this ethanol came out. Your bike will seldom break down in your drive way, it'll be on a dark, lonely road, on a rainy night and you'll be in a cellular phone dead spot.

Trust me.

So far as expense goes it's always important to all of us BUT when we're talking about fuel hose, brake linings, clutches, tires, it's always best to go first class, remember if you by cheap you buy twice IF you live through the experience. I would recommend we ALL replace the fuel lines we haven't changes since this ethanol came out. Your bike will seldom break down in your drive way, it'll be on a dark, lonely road, on a rainy night and you'll be in a cellular phone dead spot.

Trust me.

Oh yeah I forgot to mention 3/8" steel line can be bent into 90 degree elbows and (if you wish) flared on the ends and then you can use hose clamps to hold the new hose in place.