IGNORED

key for saddle bags

I cannot comment on the ease of getting a new key for the locks but if the bags are locked shut it will be a challenge to get them open without damaging the casing. My recommendation is if you have a set of locks with keys on your old bags to drill the rivets in the hinges on the locked bags and try to open them. Once locks are changed re rivet them together. I did this when I repainted my bags two tone BUT my locks were open. Good luck.

If you take your bike to an Old School (brick and mortar shop...not a mobile guy) locksmith he should have those bags open in no time at all, if you give him a couple of days and he should be able to cut a new set of keys for about $40.

How come your ignition key isn't working? Are the bags replacements?

Bags aren't original. Bought them with the promise of the spare key. Now, person wont give me spare key, but wants more money, cause has both keys and ignition and gas cap.

Dont touch it yet,,,, lets think about it,, wonder if there is a way to get a number off the lock set without dismantling.. Then you could post the number here and see if anyone has a match to it, then we could have a key made from our lock set and send it to ya....

OR,, didnt I read somewhere of someone here that makes keys? maybe he could make you one from a number if you can get it..

I am gonna go outside and see if there are numbers on my bikes bag.. Back in a bit

No luck BUT,, maybe you could ask the guy you got em from to just give you the number off his key so we could check and see if anyone has a match or a maybe a locksmith could make one off the number??

No luck BUT,, maybe you could ask the guy you got em from to just give you the number off his key so we could check and see if anyone has a match or a maybe a locksmith could make one off the number??

:sign yeah that::sign yeah that:

See if he will give you the key number.

Offer him $10 to have another key made and send it to you.

Look close at pics in his other adds to see if you can spot the key number on the ignition switch.

If all that fails start a dispute thru ebay or paypal that item is not as described. When his money disappears he will be more willing to work with you.

I didn't buy it off ebay. I will ask him for the key number. I offered him $10 , but he wont part now with spare key. He thinks he can get $50 for 2 keys, ign. and tank lock.

I offered to get a key made, but he said it takes a special blank key to get a spare made, and they cost $10 each. Anyone on here makes keys??

it takes a special blank key to get a spare made, and they cost $10 each.

Not that it helps much at this point, but I had a few spares made by a local locksmith a few years ago. They weren't all that expensive but he did have to order a minimum number of blanks. He crossed referenced

the 87'VR key to a older common Susuki bike key. I don't remember what year. The blanks are stamped as - ilco (large lettering) ,and numbers X117, YH48 stamped in the corners. 'USA' is stamped on the flipside.

A local brick and mortar locksmith made me my spares on Yamaha blanks for $7 each. He had the blanks hanging on the wall and did them while I waited. Maybe call some locksmiths that are local to him to see if they have the blank numbers as mentioned by Max. Phone calls are cheap these days.

Pay pal will help you if you paid that way. Credit card will also help you. If it was local, or if you paid cash, knock on his door and at least get him to open them so you can take the locks out for a locksmith to work on.

Thanks, for the idea of taking the bags back to him, and opening them.

Thanks, Max, for the numbers. I will call a lock smith on Tuesday to see if they have key blanks or locks, and pricing.

I paid cash in person, picking up parts from a parts bike. The guy isn't really a bad person. He has a lot going on right now. Made a deal for spare key, then realized

wanted to keep both keys, and let me make a spare, which was ok. But ran out of time, so offered to buy spare key, but only wants to sell both keys together for $50.

Now, wants to sell all his remaining parts for $200, including keys, though I could make $500 selling them on ebay(his pitch). My point is sell me the spare, and you

make the $500 on ebay!!!

Any decent locksmith should be able to get side boxes open.

The side boxes use the double sided ign key, but the lock tumbkers themselves are only single sided. I just had my 83 locks apart to fix a sticking side box latch assembly and this is the way they are made.

A simple key "rake" procedure will pop 'em open with a few tries with an experienced touch.

He thinks the frame can sell for $300-400 ?? I don't think anyone would need another frame.

And my last line above is 'sell parts and get my $150 money back from the other parts."

He wont take less, cause he gave me a bunch of other parts with the first set of items I got from him.

I was missing keys for my side bags, helmet locks and trunk, and i wanted a spare ignition key. I got all the lock assemblies out (tumblers), put a blank key in and was able to mark the blank so I could cut my own with a dremel. My ignition key wasn't a smooth operation so I didn't want my local Ace Hardware to make me one and i couldn't find any numbers for any of the locks.