IGNORED

My Cheap Cheap GPS mount

pbjman

So I was fiddling around with where to mount the My Garmin Nuvi 765T without getting a handlebar mount. I have actually had some success with using the suction cup on the tach guage of my Maxim and in the inside of my RSV windshield (with a tether wire in case it popped off, which it did once on each bike), but wanted to see if I could do better since my wife and I have hopes of two multi-day trips this summer.

So here is my Cheap and Simple temporary Garmin GPS mounting method:

gps1.jpg

There it is at the end of the red arrow, a firm but elastic Circular Retention Device.

This single rubber ring is capable of mounting my Garmin to my RSV's open tape deck door. Open the door and loop the elastic band around the tape deck door, catching on the lip at the bottom of the door (that I am pointing to here):

gps2.jpg

Note the protrusion on the bottom of the GPS cradle is perfectly sized to sit into the recessed area in the tape deck door, becoming an alignment tab which keeps the Garmin in place.

gps3.jpg

Now loop the band over the top of the GPS cradle and it snugs the unit down and back, standing upright in the deck door. In this picture I am pulling the top of the GPS slightly forward so you can see where the band loops behind it.

gps4.jpg

Now the GPS is in a perfect viewing position at the center of the gauge cluster and just below the sweeping retro style speedometer. And because it is tethered into a solid place, it won't move around when you are pushing on the touch screen.

gps5.jpg

I have tried it on a 2 hour ride and I really like the position and the firmness of using this method. And it is easy enough to grab and go if you don't want to leave the GPS unattended on the bike.

I guess it really depends on the GPS itself.

I tried a similar method with my unit, but it would not hold in place as the back of my GPS is flat.

In the end I had to spend some $$$ for the actual mount :(