IGNORED

Riding season

beyeker

Here in north central Wisconsin my Venture sits from around Dec 1st to April 1st. Sometimes I can get it out in the winter for a warm day, but then I have to wash the salt off. Always have wanted to move south for a longer season. Even at 55 with 40 years of riding and 300,000+ miles, I still love that first ride. This year it was 66 miles on March 14th. Whats the best part of the country for the longest season?

Probably Florida or central, south, or west Texas. It ain't too bad here in Arkansas. I can ride some all winter long, just not as much. My bike gets ridden at least a few times per month all winter long and seldom goes as much as 2 weeks a sitting idle. We have cold snaps that get well below freezing, and sometimes even get snow, but cold and/or snow never lasts more than a few days. Then we get a warm up. I've seen 70 degree days in Jan and Feb followed by 25 degree days followed by 60 degree days followed by 40 degrees, etc, etc.

Here in north central Wisconsin my Venture sits from around Dec 1st to April 1st. Sometimes I can get it out in the winter for a warm day, but then I have to wash the salt off. Always have wanted to move south for a longer season. Even at 55 with 40 years of riding and 300,000+ miles, I still love that first ride. This year it was 66 miles on March 14th. Whats the best part of the country for the longest season?

Basically we ride all year long. If we get snow it usually isnt much and gone by the end of the day.That only happens MAYBE 2 times a year. It may snow ,then get up to 60 before end of the day. Our biggest problem is HOT during the summer but cant have it all.

I have been in the south in the summer. Riding in 100+ is not for me. I suppose you get used to it. At least in heat you don't have to watch out for ice on the roads. I leaving for a ride at noon today, 42 degrees and sun today!

To me, where I live now is about as far north as I could go and still ride all year. Right here in the northwest corner of South Carolina, it went down to 12*F once this winter, and I rode to work in it. That's pushing it for me, although I have heard of heartier souls. The key is that there is usually snow on the ground one day per year here, and ice is equally rare. Thirty miles north of here is Sapphire Valley, NC, where they do snow skiing, so this is the limit for me.

In the summer, we have 100 degree days. If you want to get away from the heat at that time, just take that 30-mile jaunt north to Highlands, NC, or maybe ride for an hour and a half to reach the Blue Ridge Parkway.

We live in northeastern NC and it very rarely ever snows. We also ride year round. We don't see too many of those really cold days (like down into the teens). The southeastern part of VA is pretty much similar.

Are you thinking of moving to the south?

Margaret

Don't come here! :rotf: (west coast Canada)

I park my scoot mid October and it sits until mid April. Well, there are a few days between those dates that I could ride but for the most part, it's either too cold (for me) or it's too wet. Then again, I'm a bit of a whimp when it comes to such things.... :crying:

Gimme HOT! Gimme DRY! I wanna move to TexUs! ..errr I mean TexAs!

Do not need to move south! Here in the Seattle area I ride year round, with the exception of a few weeks total when there is ice (or the possibility) on the roads. Each incidence of snow/ice is usually only a few days to a week each. Just need good waterproof/insulated riding gear. I commute daily 40 minutes each way so heated gear not required. On the nice days take the '07, the rest the '87, it show the dirt less, easier to clean, less chrome. No need for trickle chargers or winter layups.

- Mike

Margaret, I'd like to move farther south. I have been all over this country several times, almost moved to Johnson City Tenn. a few years back. I doubt I'll ever move now, too many ties to this area. Just got back from a 120 mile ride, a little cool, about 40 degrees.