IGNORED

K&N Air Filter vs Carb Adjustment

This is from the thread "Pilot screw 5 turns out" down the page:

"I've been having problems with backfire thru the carbs so I did alot of reading and most say pilot screw is lean so I went 4 turn and then 5 a little better. My question is why do I have to be out so far on my pilot setting? I should mention it has a k&n air filter and the box top has been opened up quite a bit and the stock mufflers have been opened up also..."

And a reply:

"All of the things that you have done will each make it leaner. You will most likely need to change the main jets to get it to run right with all of those mods.

Depending on just how much you have opened things up you might be able to get close by playing with the needle shims and/or the pilot. If not then either close some of the breathing back up or start playing with the main jets. These bikes do not like the airflow to be messed with. Most of the people that have messed with the airbox are now running around with patches on the air box to get back to stock airflow..."

Hope this helps. There are more threads here that talk about K&N filters and such.

@RedRider...I was wondering about getting that breathing system. Is it worth the money? Does it make a difference.

BTW I have my pilot screws at 2.5 turns and it runs perfect

No, not really. I just happen to get a good deal on them when I needed to replace my original OEM.

RR

I went with the K&N filters when I needed air filters but the dealer didn't have the Yamaha filters for my RSV. Cost wasn't a whole lot more and is a one time purchase rather than based on mileage. I did no adjustment to the carbs other than a carb tune. No back fires, no lag in acceleration.

Worth the price? Yes, they are more expensive than the OEM filters, but you clean and reuse them, not replace them so the purchase price is a one time thing. So, yes, they are a good investment.

Yes, I can see where the savings could be, but considering how often filters need to be change and the fact that, at least I don't drive on dusty roads, may be I will spend the money on some more chrome...Now if the K&N would improve performance in a significant way I would definitely consider it.

Now in the same subject, I also have a 01 RS Tour Deluxe I just recently acquire. Does anyone here had any experience with these:

http://www.westendmotorsports.com/baron-custom-stealth-royal-star-9601-p-32211.html

Late to the thread but I have a K&N filter system on my 1st Gen. I like the fact that I can clean it at any time, re-oil it and be back on the road. So if the Arizona dust storms get me, I can do a quick clean and oil. No running to store to buy air filters!

Yea, more expensive...but the quality of the product is well known.

david