IGNORED

Replacing Tape Deck with instrument cluster

I removed the cassette player to create a storage box. In short, I don't like the outcome. Worse yet, somehow along the way I screwed up the door and the thing won't stayed closed now.

What I'd like to do is pull the whole thing and go with a three gauge instrument cluster instead. I found some pics of a kit that a member on this site put together, but I can't find anything from him in the classifieds. Since I already have the fairing torn apart and riding season is fast approaching, I'd like to get this done sooner than later. Anyone done this recently?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

I removed the cassette player to create a storage box. In short, I don't like the outcome. Worse yet, somehow along the way I screwed up the door and the thing won't stayed closed now.

What I'd like to do is pull the whole thing and go with a three gauge instrument cluster instead. I found some pics of a kit that a member on this site put together, but I can't find anything from him in the classifieds. Since I already have the fairing torn apart and riding season is fast approaching, I'd like to get this done sooner than later. Anyone done this recently?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Send him a private message.

The ones in the link I would think are much to large to fit in the area. From what I just measured up on mine even @ 1.5" they are bigger than the opening. Looks as though you will have to make a face plate that extends out a little and mount the mini gauges in it. I have never seen a picture of Ponchs gauge set so really dont have an idea how he made them.

Check in the VR classifieds, Vendor Member for Wild Bill (Bill Little). Bill installs them, but does not provide them. He also lowered my RSV and knows the bike well.

I just talked to him yesterday about another matter. He is an engineer/mechanic. He will likely give you some pointers.

Mike G in SC

OK like I need another project like I need ....... you fill in the blank. But I will ask. I googled "ponchs gauge cluster" and a couple other lines yesterday and could not find any pics. Does anyone have any pics of the original set up, and how it went in? I found one on here but the fellow had added a Tach and digital something or other and had to move the cruise switch. So I dont think this would be an easy mod for a fellow to do. My thoughts are somewhere along the lines of a simple install, maybe a 7 on the skill set. What gauges were in his? I would take a poke and say they would have to be 1.5" gauges otherwise they are just way huge. Volts-water temp-oil press? I am actually thinking some small rectangle LED type readouts. But have to source all this out first.