IGNORED

New here. Rebuilding dad's '87 1300.

Have had my dad's VR1300 for years now since his death and it had sat for years before that (inside a garage). It needs to be completely gone through. I'll need, at least, complete gasket sets I'm sure.

Hoping it doesn't need much more than spit and polish and a bit of rechroming.

Any information I may need to be aware of? I plan to keep this bike. It was dad's after all. Not to mention it's a damn good looking bike!! I have fond memories of the one road trip we took with it not long after he bought it in 87.

Not many trips were taken after that one so I know it has incredibly low mileage.

Any tips and info are greatly appreciated. :-)

The fuse block with the glass fuses is a weak point in the old Ventures. While you're redo the bike, especially the carbs, sliders and diaphrams, consider replacing the block with an ATC fuse block and you'll be happy and more reliable.

Welcome to the madhouse!

Dave

Indeed, WELCOME to VR Classy!! Sorry to hear about the loss of your Father Classy, you have my thoughts and condolences.. It is WAY cool that you have your Dad's bike, he obviously had VERY good taste in bikes - a little time with it and you will have a machine that will bring you endless hours of great memories of the past and the future!!

You have already gotten some solid advice. I have brought a couple of them back to life myself, I would advise you not to get to deeply into planning a complete tear down and gasket replacing until you find out exactly what you do need.. You may be surprised to find that you will actually need to replace very few gaskets and do very little rebuilding to have a super nice machine.

Its a ways off and has basically nothing to do with getting it fired up (the stuff already mentioned by others will get you there) but, if the bike has been stored on its side stand for all these years - you will more than likely need to replace the stock front fork springs - the stock springs may very well be sacked out. If they are sacked, be careful how much you ride the bike on the sacked springs as its hard on seals and fork internals to have the forks bottoming out.. Just something to keep in mind.

Also, when you replace the battery, make sure that you get it to a good full charge before using it to crank the bike up. Low charge on a battery (even new) is hard on the starter. Also, if I am working on a scoot that has been sitting for a long time and am getting ready attempt a revive, I like to "prelube" the oil system. On bikes that have accessible top ends where I can squirt oil thru tappet caps (like a Honda SOHC 750) I will pull the spark plugs, hit the kill switch, run the engine over with the starter while I squirt oil over the camshaft so it doesnt start dry.. Just to get some lube on stuff BEFORE starting..

That said, with the bike on the center stand, remove air filter cover and look for mice nests, remove air filter so you can see the carb slides and clearly see that nothing is going to enter thru the carbs but air. I would clean out the cavities where the plugs sit on your bike really well, remove the plugs, squirt a small amount of Mystery Oil (half teaspoon) into each plug hole (use a short piece of clear gas line - slide it into the plug hole and squirt the oil into the gas line so you know the oil is going into the jug). LEAVE THE PLUGS OUT. Check the oil thru the site glass on the right side of the bike. If it looks low, put enough new oil in it to bring it between the fill lines (dont do an actual oil change yet). Ground the plugs so you dont hurt the ignition system while rolling over. Spin the motor off the starter for a few 5 second intervals to move oil thru the bikes oil channels (prelube). Take the hose that you shot the mystery oil into the jugs with and now shoot a half a teaspoon of raw gas into each jug. Replace the plugs and put the wire on em. Bump the starter and it should fire up and burn off the fuel you shot into the jugs. Motor should now have sufficent lube thru it.. Now you can change the oil and filter without having to worry about starting the engine with an empty oil filter cavity that has to fill before the motor starts recieving oil...

Big thanks for the tips! Did not know that about the fuse block. Will take care of that during the revival.

Lots of great advice. Hopefully, the mechanicals won't require much but I'm not holding my breath after so many years of sitting.

My buddies are trying to talk me into buying a Harley but I just can't see spending that kind of money. Plus, it's dad's bike, so the sentimental element is there. He loved this bike. Even now, I still think they look really good.

Another question, are there any modern lighting options for these? I'd like to update the lights to LED maybe, and the headlight especially, to LED or HID if anything is available.

Thanks again for all the help!!!!

May I suggest that you start specific threads for each individual problem or question you have.

There is a thread here that addresses your LED headlight question.

By the way, post your subsequent questions in the First Generation Tech Talk forum. Your Dad's 1987 Venture is a First Gen Venture.

Edited by Prairiehammer

It is a Mk ll 1st Gen. MK l's were 83 to 85. MK ll's 1st Gens, 86 to 93. 2nd Gens 99 to 2014.

You will most likely have a few questions. Just give us a shout. E Bay is a great place for parts. Do a search for Venture Parts. I think once you get it road worthy you will be shocked. Great old bikes.

When you join, and you will join, there are a few rules you have to follow. First is no bike really exists unless you post pictures of it. Second, put your bike year in the header under your name so when you ask questions we know right away what year you have. If you do not do those two things, we will hunt you down, take your bike and leave you a Honda...or worse, a slower 2nd Gen. :yikes: :rotf:

Welcome and good luck with the bike. :usa:

had not noticed your post untill today, been busy out putting miles in the mirror, rather than running off at the pipe about the superior qualities of the 2nd generation bikes!!

post your questions pal, there are a great bunch o 1st gen couch potatoes here to help you with any questions you may have!!

gotta go get some more miles !!! welcome!!

• 2 weeks later...

Also, take something hard like a screwdriver handle and tap on the gas tank, especially the left side. What you're looking for is a weak spot that was created by water (condensation) sitting at the bottom of tank for years. I would pump as much clean gas as needed through the tank to clean it out. It may not need cleaning but you won't know that unless you cycle some gas through it.

Have fun.