IGNORED

Sidestand Switch

Thanks for the suggestions but I guess I wasn't clear. My switch is still working so I'm not looking for a used one at this point. I was wondering if there is anything that should be done to my switch to maintain it. I haven't seen any instructions on disassembling and cleaning that switch like I have for the other switches.

Thanks for the suggestions but I guess I wasn't clear. My switch is still working so I'm not looking for a used one at this point. I was wondering if there is anything that should be done to my switch to maintain it. I haven't seen any instructions on disassembling and cleaning that switch like I have for the other switches.

Using contact cleaner spray with one of the little tubes, I will stick the tube up under the rubber dust cover and spray liberally. I will also push the plunger in and let it pop out. This has worked for me.

Randy

In addition to Randy's advice for cleaning with contact cleaner, fill the rubber boot with silicone grease to exclude moisture.

In addition to Randy's advice for cleaning with contact cleaner, fill the rubber boot with silicone grease to exclude moisture.

Thanks for the advice but can you be a little more specific as to which type of silicone grease you use and how do you fill the rubber boot with it. Thanks.

Edited by Donvito

Thanks for the advice but can you be a little more specific as to which type of silicone grease you use and how do you fill the rubber boot with it. Thanks.

Silicone grease is available at your local home center or hardware store, in the plumbing section, where it is used as a faucet lubricant. Dielectric grease is also a silicone grease, but sold in much smaller (and expensive) packages.

The rubber boot is slipped over a barbed shoulder at the body of the side stand switch. Peel the rubber boot off the shoulder and apply the grease into the now open end of the boot. Replace the boot onto the shoulder after inserting the grease.

sidestand switch, boot, 1983 1a.jpg

• 3 years later...

Has anyone found a replacement for this switch. I am going to look at cleaning mine and re attaching the wires. I had them off and crimped together with no issues other than occasionally riding off with the stand down. Last weekend for some reason the wires must have been grounding or separating inside the crimp connector since the ignition was cutting off with the bike in gear. In neutral all was fine. I moved the wire from where ever it was tucked in and the problem was solved. This had my wife (who is now riding our newer Victory Vision) telling me I need a more reliable or newer touring bike if we are going to take these longer overnight trips. I kind of agree but I still think this bike is every bit as nice as any of the newer rides.

On another note, has anyone notices how many fist gen Ventures are for sale on Craigslist. I was kind of shocked to see so many and some with really low mileage.

Last weekend for some reason the wires must have been grounding or separating inside the crimp connector since the ignition was cutting off with the bike in gear. In neutral all was fine. I moved the wire from where ever it was tucked in and the problem was solved. Time for you to slit the protection shield and find out what is a miss in there. It could fail you and put you both in harm sway!

This had my wife (who is now riding our newer Victory Vision) telling me I need a more reliable or newer touring bike if we are going to take these longer overnight trips. I'd ask the question if .... and then.... trade you in???

I kind of agree but I still think this bike is every bit as nice as any of the newer rides.

On another note, has anyone notices how many fist gen Ventures are for sale on Craigslist. I was kind of shocked to see so many and some with really low mileage.