IGNORED

Gave up on Monsters and bought RK pipes

After searching for the past 2 years for affordable VH Monster Oval I gave up :crying: and ordered a set of brand new RK takeoffs from the HarleyPicker. Also ordered a set of the wide clamps. So for about $100 in parts and another $100 in shipping (yes I live in the boonies) I hope that the sound of the RK pipes are an improvement. From the clips I heard on YouTube they should add a bit more rumble even if they do not match the deep rumble of the Monsters.:dancefool:

I have a 05 RSTD, and some years ago I got a pair of RKs off of an 06. I drilled out the baffles, and cut out the catalytic converter on one of them and have had them on since. Sound good to me. Not real loud and not quiet either.

Bert, money wise I think you will be happy. Dont be to quick to throw out your OEM muffs. I have a pair of RK I will swap on and off with the oem jobs. Longer trips I just dont care for the roar of the RK. But to each his own. But be sure to take some longer trips and take the boss too. Go for a couple hours and see if you still like it.

I put a set of OEM take offs from an '06 Screaming Eagle Ultra (all touring model pipes are the same), they are the 103db pipes you'd find in the accessory catalogs. The local HD shop had a parking lot flee market about a month after I bought the bike and picked them up for $30. Another $30 for the chrome clamps and had my brother in law make the brackets for me. I have a nice rumble at idle, a bark when I wind it out, and fairly quite from the seat at medium cruising speeds.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok the RK pipes came today and I was surprised that I could not see through them front to back...not even light coming through. They are brand new though with no scuffs or scratches at all. Cant wait to put them on now. Great buy for $40.:dancefool:

Ok the RK pipes came today and I was surprised that I could not see through them front to back...not even light coming through. They are brand new though with no scuffs or scratches at all. Cant wait to put them on now. Great buy for $40.:dancefool:

Could it be that they have catalytic convertors in them? I might be mistaken but I kinda recall that newer ones did.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Genuine-2013-Harley-Touring-Road-King-OEM-Exhaust-Mufflers-65538-09-65846-10A-/251878260553

Should not as they came off a 2014 RK and the cats are no longer in the muffler on those they are suposedly in the cross pipe right before the mufflers. The link above is to a similar set that the vendor still has for sale.

Edited by Bert2006

Should not as they came off a 2014 RK and the cats are no longer in the muffler on those they are suposedly in the cross pipe right before the mufflers.

Ya, I thought about that after I hit "Post" LOL ... maybe the newer RKs are designed differently than the old ones. Will be interesting to know how they sound ... if they are a different note or are quieter than the old design you could see thru.

Thats the way the insides of the HD muffs are made. Exhaust comes in like 8 inch or so. Then there is a plate there to block and force exhaust out to sides so it goes,thru multiple slits to baffle and out the back. Now why to 2010 ones (non cat) I have are not made exactly the same I have no idea. The right the diverter plate is say 8 inch back and the left is further maybe 10 inch.

• 2 months later...

Hi, HD RK mufflers are made that way and the good news is if you can not see through them at all, they have never been touched or altered.

If you like more sound you can actually put a screw driver / or other device into the pipe and knock open one of the four corners (many write ups on this).

I have RK mufflers on my bike and find the sound to be exactly what I was looking for ,, not too loud. But if you open them up then on long rides you may find that roar getting to you after awhile.

So definitely hang onto your OEM mufflers.

Ya, they have been on for a month now and they are a bit louder than I expected, but it is a sweet sound. Deeper rumble at iddle and low rpm's but when I open it up it definitely barks now and you can hear them. Kept the stock pipes as it may be too loud for the missus on long trips. Thanks for all the replies folks:cool10:

I thought about looking for a pair of supertrapp mufflers for the HD and put them on. You can "tune" how much roar you want with them. But them dudes are high. And dont find any used worth buing either. So I'm staying with the OEM and swap out when I want to deal.

Just bought the RK mufflers the other day for $50 and had a local shop make the L brackets out of stainless for me. Just waiting for the extra wide exhaust clamps and will be doing the change. It will be interesting to hear the difference.

Now I have read that there are 2 holes already drilled out inside the muffler (not sure of the correct name of the part that had the holes) and that if I want more sound I just drill two more in each. Does this sound right?