IGNORED

The Great VR Scavenger Hunt

DocO

OK, so I dared you to beat me, and you did....and I think your place is in the spirit of the original target, but here are my pictures of the Shady Rest Resort from Villard, MN. The proprietor was resting in the shade on the deck with a book, and I gave her my strange request for a picture or two of her place. She was nice enough to shoot 'em for me. So, Scooter Bob, who needs to set the next target. Makes no difference to me, just make the call so the game can go on.

"Just show me that someone else in the country has a sense of humor about the name of their business! "

What I meant by that was using the name "Shady Rest" from the TV show. I was just cutting everyone a little slack on the location and the whole hotel/motel thing.

Oddly enough, Karen and I stopped at Poopy's yesterday on the last leg of our journey home from the Hub. Neat place, but I had heard it was spread out over a block of downtown, and that would have been way cooler in my eyes.

Krispy, great job on the pics, and a 230 mile round trip to get them. That's what this is all about, another reason to go for a ride. So, what will the next target be???

Later, Scooter Bob

The down town place is called the iron horse saloon, the owner has several small antique parlors and pubs within a 3 block area of down town, and even has a church on the 3rd floor above the iron horse saloon, just in case ya get the urge to pray or get hitched....or both.

I hope you took derinda rd north to rt 20...best rd in illinois

mike

Yep, it was a great day for a ride. Bikes were everywhere, even saw 2 Ventures, one fueling up in Hutchinson, MN and another on the road north of Willmar, I think it was. Wish my co-pilot would have been on the back, but she is at a wedding in NC for a few more days.

OK, next target. How about your bike in front of a "Mom & Pop" type drive-in restaurant, with you feeding your face on your favorite menu item. No chain type places allowed. You know, MacDonalds, Hardees, etc. Should be in riding range of most folks, and an excuse for a ride, and a treat. Ready, set, go.....:ICwink:

Want to give a :thumbsup2: to Mike for being classy and bowing to Krispy's excellent find of a real "Shady Rest". Class act, Mike, for not only recognizing brilliance in Krispy getting the true target, but also giving the rest of us a chance to remember Poopy's again and understand that you were having some real fun with this topic.

Well done both of you!

Yes, Krispy, set the next target, one of these days I hope to be able to get one!

Oh, and to those that have not been to Poopy's in Savanna, IL, it is worth a ride, not only for the great roads near it, but for great food, and a fun experience on the weekends with live music. The place is newish, clean, and interesting.

Love this topic, maybe moving to the fun & etc section was a good thing, at least we can find it now and quit fighting over whether to stick it or not!:rotf:

Guest seuadr
Yep, it was a great day for a ride. Bikes were everywhere, even saw 2 Ventures, one fueling up in Hutchinson, MN and another on the road north of Willmar, I think it was. Wish my co-pilot would have been on the back, but she is at a wedding in NC for a few more days.

OK, next target. How about your bike in front of a "Mom & Pop" type drive-in restaurant, with you feeding your face on your favorite menu item. No chain type places allowed. You know, MacDonalds, Hardees, etc. Should be in riding range of most folks, and an excuse for a ride, and a treat. Ready, set, go.....:ICwink:

drive in as in, they come to your car and you eat it? none of those left around here, unless you just mean like a local place you drive to and eat inside.

drive in as in, they come to your car and you eat it? none of those left around here, unless you just mean like a local place you drive to and eat inside.

I know there aren't many, if any, places where they come to you any more. Around here there are places that are the drive-ins of old, but now you probably have to get out, go to the window and make your order, and then eat at an outside table or in your vehicle. The car-hops are going to be really hard to find, I would think, but all I'm after is the kind of place with little or no inside seating. You drive-in, get your order, and eat outside, in your car, or take it to go home or off to a park for your picnic. Maybe they're not that common anymore, but i could get to a couple in short order from here. Let's give it a couple days. If nobody seems to have an idea of how they can get to one of these, I'll set a new target.

I went for a 285 mile ride to get the Shady Rest the other day. (I didn't go in a real straight line.) Get on and ride.....and treat yourself to something at the drive-in for your efforts.....it's a mini-stimulus package. Good luck!!

Edited by krispy
can't spell

Mullins Drive INN, Family owned since 1934, no inside seating, closed in the winter, has car hops or you can sit at the picnic tables in the yard.

Krispy, it has everything you are looking for. :happy65:Just one problem though...

IT'S TOO CLOSE TO OUR HOUSE TO FIT INTO MY RULES FOR THE "GREAT VR SCAVENGER HUNT"....about 6 blocks:whistling:

Someone else come on over and check it out. It's a Gem, real nice place. Give us a call if you're in the neighborhood

We'll go looking for one farther away this weekend I hope..

Later. Scooter Bob

Scooter, that's just the kind of place I'm talking about. If nobody else comes up with it, and you feel guilty about it being too close, go for a good ride, and treat yourself when you're almost home. I don't think there are any real rules about having to go a distance to get the shot. Some are just going to be handier for some people than others. That's life....Mom said it wouldn't always be fair.:080402gudl_prv:

Larry

We did score the old school house just a few miles away a couple weeks ago, but I just wanted to get the thread moving again. If this one sits too long, I'll do the same again.

Back in early March, the target was a business with an "X" in the name. That was waaayyy too easy to find in Fox Lake, WI; and it was going to get to the upper 50's that day, so we rode 110 miles south to Fox Lake, IL and started looking for the target there.

Just a reason to ride somewhere; got to love it!! Seems there is too much else going on around here for rides in the summer to find the extra time to play the right way (my right way). But, fall is coming, and all the scheduled stuff will die off, and we'll still be wanting to ride.

Later, Scooter Bob

Current Target by Krispy is....

Let me see if this gets accepted...my buddie and I did a Saddle Sore 1k this weekend. Me on my Gen1 and him on his 100th Fatboy. Stopped at a subshop in his hometown after about 675 miles on the day. Had to park across the street at the bar becuase they are owned by the same family, and the sub shop is doing renevations to thier lot. You can see the subshop in the background of the first pic. I hadn't intended to use this for the Scavenger Hunt, but let see if we can keep this going.

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c274/StarWolve/Motorcycle%20Events/SS1K/ss1k035.jpg

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c274/StarWolve/Motorcycle%20Events/SS1K/ss1k061.jpg

The bikes

http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p25/dreamreaverLT/scavenger%20hunt/ss1k058a.jpg

Yeah, I had thought someone was going to get one a little closer to the intent immediately. When I got the chance to check back, I was surprised it was still hanging otu there. So next target...

You+Bike+ "Local Sports Team, State Champs sign"

This should be an easy one too. I'ld like to see a State Champion sign that a local community puts up on the edge of town to acknowledge thier schools accomplishment. Can be of any year, sport, school. I thought I had an example loaded in Photobucket but I see it's not there.

Here you go. This time it's my co-pilot in the picture....lots better looking than me, anyway. Got the shot on the way home from our niece's wedding in SD this weekend. Nice enough weather all weekend. About 280 miles out on Friday, I went out for a solo run on Saturday afternoon before the wedding, about 130 miles, and then we wandered home on Sunday for about 350 more. On the way, Denise caught this sign, and remembered the target, so we pulled in and got the shot. Westbrook, MN, about 45 miles from home.

If this satisfies the target, then the next one will be: you, your bike, and a sailboat in the background, sails up and underway. No marina shots, or at the dock. I don't care how big or little the sailboat is, or how far away it is, just so we can see the sail out there behind you. OK?? Go get her.......

eusa:

You gotta read the post.....:doh: but here it is again, for those that missed it.

If this satisfies the target, then the next one will be: you, your bike, and a sailboat in the background, sails up and underway. No marina shots, or at the dock. I don't care how big or little the sailboat is, or how far away it is, just so we can see the sail out there behind you. OK?? Go get her.......

Good luck!!!!

Ok, we got past Labor Day weekend without someone getting the sailboat pic, so let's make it a bit easier. Any boat, any size, any kind of power, just have it on the water and in motion in the background behind you and your bike. Good luck....