IGNORED

Why do I keep getting logged out every half hour?

syscrusher

I have basically been off of the forum for a while over the holidays and stuff so I suppose a lot of changes have been made but I keep getting logged out about every half hour? Another change is that if I have more than one window for the group open one window isn't aware that the other is logged on. I used to never log out and the site would just pick where I left off when I would load the web site. I was preparing a post with photos earlier and the site logged me out before I could get the photos uploaded with my post. I looked around the profile setting to see if there was a parameter I could change but didn't find anything.

Does anyone have any ideas about this? It's becoming a PITA.

I may not be understanding what you are saying but the forum has always had the time out function and it is set the same as it was before. it is set to automatically log a user out after 30 minutes of no activity. As long as you are doing something within 30 minutes, it shouldn't log you out. If you are idle for 30 minutes, it will log you out. That hasn't changed. Are you clicking the "remember me" button when you log in? If so, you shouldn't have to login again ever unless you logout manually or clear your cookies. If you are doing all of that and it is still making you login again, then you have something different in your browsers security settings that is automatically learning your cookies or something.

Lucky you that is the only problem you have on this site.I use VR as my home page.When I turn on my computer it takes 5 minutes for the home page to show up.When I click on a thread it takes 5 minutes to download and then I get VR is not responding over and over again.It takes about 10 minutes to get to and read a thread.Then when I click the back button nothing happens.It is like the computer is frozen.It will not let me close the browser window.I cannot even shutdown the computer.Sometimes I have to turn off the power to get off this website and a couple times enen that wouldn;t work and I had to leave the laptop on until the battery dies.This only happens on VR site,I frequent a couple car club sites gaily and they run like greased lightening on my computer.I check my email daily and never have a problem.I have changed my home page to one of my car club sites and my computer runs great until I click on VR page and it all starte all over again.Very frustrating.I spend about 4 hours a day just to read the Watering Hole. Any suggestions.I spend about 15 minutes a day and I can read every thread on my car club sites and also my email.Very frusterating.

Also, what color are you using for the site? I really like the red but it definitely is slower to load than the other colors due to all the additional graphics and etc. if you are using red, try changing to one of the other colors and see it that works better for you. I can tell you that this site is not generally slow.

Not a problem,, this is the blind leading the blind than :backinmyday:

Your brower is the program that creates the URL line, the URL line is the place where you type in the website you want to go to.. I am using Firefox, when I log onto my computer and get to the opening screen, one of the little icons on the screen has a picture of a little fox wrapped around the globe - that is my "browser" icon and it accesses the internet when I click on it.. Its possible that you are using Windows Explorer, that icon probably appears as an "e" with a gold band around it..

Go to the top of your screen, there should be the word "Help".

Click on the word "Help".

it should open up more options, one of these will have the word "About" in it.

Click on the line that has the word "About" in it.

This will open up a window that will tell you which browser you are using and which version of it you have.

Go to the top of your screen, there should be the word "Help".

Click on the word "Help".

it should open up more options, one of these will have the word "About" in it.

Click on the line that has the word "About" in it.

This will open up a window that will tell you which browser you are using and which version of it you have.

Thanks,It says Internet Explorer 11,is that a good or a bad thing and can you change browsers?

Yes you can change Browsers.. A long time ago I was using Explorer like you and it seemed like lots of the websites I was wanting to visit didnt really care for Explorer.. I think it was the folks at a snowmobile site - Hardcoresledder.com or maybe it was HondaChopper.com that told me to try Firefox.. I did and it was remarkable the difference BUT,, I am not sure if that still applies (or for that matter,, why it made such a big difference back than.. Anyway,,, I am running Firefox now and was recently dealing with some simular issues as you are having Rooster.. Someone on here explained to me how to "reset" Firefox and it WORKED!! I have been using Firefox for years now and it seems to work well - maybe Don or someone can jump in and tell you whether or not a freebee download of Firefox would be in your best interest..

All that said,, I also have Explorer (running Microsoft Windows - I think all MS Windows comes standard with Explorer) and I will jump on there real quick and see if I can instruct you in cleaning your cache and helping your machine speed up..

Be right back here in a moment..

Ok Rooster, I am now using Internet Explorer as my browser.. Up in the right corner of the page is the red "X" for closing Explorer, beneath that is an icon that looks like a wheel with a nobby tire - it is the last icon to the right - right beside a little star shaped icon.. Click on the nobby tire.. In the list within the window that popped down is one that says Internet Options, click on that. A new window will open with tabs across the top that say "general" "security" "privacy" and so on.. You will probably already be in "general" - if not - click on the "general" tab. Now go down and where is says "browsing history" and click on "delete".. Now a new window will open that gives you the choice of things you want to delete.. If it were me,, the only box that I would have checks is the box toward the bottom that says "passwords" (this will save the passwords of any of the places you have visited where have chosen to save passwords for you.. Now click "delete" at the bottom of that window and you should be rid of a lot of stuff that's slowing your machine down..

I changed over to Firefox about a month ago and my laptop is working much better. I was using Internet Explorer and I was constantly getting the box saying it had quit working. Since I changed to Firefox, all that went away. I also got rid of Norton and the Constant Guard that comes with Comcast. I downloaded Malwarebytes and it seems to be working good.

Linda has a Dell laptop that is loaded up with junk and it will not let me download Malwarebytes, Firefox or will it let me take it back to out-of-box condition. When I try to download Firefox, it will go so far and then it starts a Security Scan and it will not go any farther even if you let go for 12 hours.

RandyA

Well it isn't about me anymore. My thread's been hijacked.

Thanks for the tips anyway and I'll try the "Remember Me" check box.

Remember me, the guy who started the thread?

If I stay on the site there's no problems but I usually do a little here, open another tab and do a little there, so on, and so on.......

Well it isn't about me anymore. My thread's been hijacked.

Thanks for the tips anyway and I'll try the "Remember Me" check box.

Remember me, the guy who started the thread?

If I stay on the site there's no problems but I usually do a little here, open another tab and do a little there, so on, and so on.......

Sorry about that Sys, my apology for hijacking - get to typing away and sometimes I forget where I am.. I bounce around alot too and "time out" a lot also.. I usually just log back in when I do.. Does your log in area remember you so you dont have to fill in the blanks everytime? Mine does and, as I recall, it does so cause I chose that function - exactly what Don was talking about.. I dont know about you but I know for me, a half hour of play time goes by really quickly - maybe time is just slipping away faster than you think and your just timing out??

Ok Rooster, I am now using Internet Explorer as my browser.. Up in the right corner of the page is the red "X" for closing Explorer, beneath that is an icon that looks like a wheel with a nobby tire - it is the last icon to the right - right beside a little star shaped icon.. Click on the nobby tire.. In the list within the window that popped down is one that says Internet Options, click on that. A new window will open with tabs across the top that say "general" "security" "privacy" and so on.. You will probably already be in "general" - if not - click on the "general" tab. Now go down and where is says "browsing history" and click on "delete".. Now a new window will open that gives you the choice of things you want to delete.. If it were me,, the only box that I would have checks is the box toward the bottom that says "passwords" (this will save the passwords of any of the places you have visited where have chosen to save passwords for you.. Now click "delete" at the bottom of that window and you should be rid of a lot of stuff that's slowing your machine down..

Thanks Puc..running faster now but still not warp 1 speed so I can live with that for now,