Now with gas prices at an all time high whats the average mpg that you're seeing? I'm getting about 31 city and 35 highway. I know its an 800+ lbs touring bike; is that bad, good, or par ?

That sounds about right. Anyone getting higher mileage is running this bike with an easy hand.

Now with gas prices at an all time high whats the average mpg that you're seeing? I'm getting about 31 city and 35 highway. I know its an 800+ lbs touring bike; is that bad, good, or par ?
The reason I bring up the gas thing is the difference I got up to that point. Averaged around 38 when I bought my 99RSV, but put on Baron Nasty Boys mufflers and K&N filters, and mileage jumped up to 40+mpg. As is, I usually only do the limit or 5 mph above posted speed limits. At 85 mph going against a 20 mph headwind; before I made the muffler changes, I only got 31 mpg. At VWlll up in Susanville, I was the only one getting gas from a gippo outfit, and my bike has never ran any better since then. Went 205 miles and still hadn't gone to reserve. Then on the way home, we stopped to fill up, and even I couldn't believe it, got 55 mpg......145 miles on 2.6 gallons, and the RSV behind me put in 3.8 gallons. I'd like to go up to that gippo gas station up in Susanville to find out whose gas he was selling. As is, my bike ran like a Rolls Royce as I didn't feel any vibration what so ever, and roll-on power was much stronger.:thumbsup2:

Thanks all for the input. I'm due for an oil change, I'll have the shop take a look at it.

If your not getting at least 40 mpg something is wrong. I ride hard in the throttle and get 45 to 50 mpg....I do have BUBS and K&Ns and use sea foam once a year. You may want to try some before you get them to try and figure it out. StarRyder was having the same problems and sea foam got him another 10 mpg after one shot.:080402gudl_prv:

Thanks for posting this. I was thinking of starting a similar thread. I too have been getting around 30-32 with a max of 35, and have been darn disappointed with that. I just bought the bike in December, so I’m not sure what was done to it by the previous owner. (owners?) It has aftermarket pipes. (not sure which ones – any way to tell?) Don’t know if anything was done to the carbs. It does backfire quite a bit. I ride aggressively, but not insanely. I do about 75-80 per the speedo (probably reads 8-10% high) on the highway and most of my miles are a 26 mile one way commute to downtown H-town, about half in the HOV lane.

Sounds like I need to take it in to the shop for a professional tune-up. Or if they go out of tune as fast as Kit says, then invest in some mercury sticks. I really was hoping to get at least 40mpg when I bought the bike. Seems to me that if a 3000 lb Honda Civic can get over 40 with a 1.6 liter, we ought to get at least that with an 800 lb bike.

I too have been getting around 30-32 with a max of 35' date=' and have been darn disappointed [/size'][/font]

Yea, I think you might need to have the scoot checked out. My 05 get's low 40s with two up like others are mentioning.

I rarely check the mileage any more. My bike and I have an understanding. I fuel her up and she burns it out! ... and I get to enjoy her doing it!