Now with gas prices at an all time high whats the average mpg that you're seeing? I'm getting about 31 city and 35 highway. I know its an 800+ lbs touring bike; is that bad, good, or par ?

That seems to be about what I am getting on my '07 with about 4000 miles on it. I think my '04 with 40k on it did abut 5 mpg better.

DT

One thing I have learned,it all depends on the way you ride..2 up,showing 60-65 on the speedo=41-43MPG,no wind..add wind 40 41 MPG. Riding 70-75 on speedo=about 39-41..Over 75 on speedo to 80-85, 36-38..over 85 forget it 32-35 max

Now with gas prices at an all time high whats the average mpg that you're seeing? I'm getting about 31 city and 35 highway. I know its an 800+ lbs touring bike; is that bad, good, or par ?

Depending on how many miles you have on the bike you might be about right. I have 2700 miles on my 07 and I can go around 160 miles before having to switch to reserve. I punched the filler neck on this bike to get in another half gallon or so of fuel. It doesn't seam to matter much if they are city or highway miles so far.

Pulling the trailer, 2-up -36.

Pulling the trailer, 1-up - 37.

2-up 38-40.

1-up 42-48.

Mine does seem to be getting a litlle better though, 06 with 11,5xx. I do always try to ride the speed limit. Occupational hazard, but I'm riding to get away from work, not to it!

Guest KitCarson

When I first got my Venture it got 44.3 miles per gallon.......did drop to about 42 riding two up. Then I put Barons 4-2-4 pipes on it......mileage went up about 2 mpg......then I messed with the bike...I plugged the AIS.....knocked off the little brass caps on the carb mix screws and turned them out 1/4 turn.....mileage fell to 36 and as low as 32 two up. I synced the carbs several times....did not help.........finally bought a color tune and used it to tune the fuel/air mix to the bike......did another carb sync after that ....put it back up to 42 and there it sat till I traded it off. Adjustments seem to be critical if you are looking for fuel mileage. I can sync the carbs on a bike and just two weeks later they will be out of sync......cable stretch....vibration......adjustment screw springs not strong enough to hold the settings......something......and the fuel/air mix jets....turn so easy.......takes almost no effort....so I think they do move around.....and it only takes a tiny.....very tiny bit of movement to get them out of tune.......so I think if you are after mileage.....a proper tune is very critical. Sure helped mine.......bike runs like a different one too.......smoother and strong. But do think this is a constant type thing......just like changing the oil.....and is kinda a pain to do......I hung the gas tank from the garage ceiling.......so I could take everything apart and get to the plugs and have room to work and still be able to fuel the bike.....but does improve milage and makes the bike run much better.

I'm just speculating...

BUT Yamaha will HAVE to meet the new EPA second tier standards that take effect in 2010.

the change is that HC+NOx (g/km) emissions drops from the current level of 1.4 to 0.8.

To meet this, the RSV will probably need a catalytic converter, and therefor fuel injection and most likely variable valve timing which will give us more power and better fuel economy, of coure you would actually have to buy a new bike.