IGNORED

New member with an electrical problem

Okay, I've been lurking for a while but I finally had to join today. I bought my 2004 Midnight Venture 3 weeks ago with 63,000 miles in near showroom condition. I absolutely love it and couldn't ask for more. Anyway so onto my issue. I'm going on a ride with my club later today and was hoping to show the ole girl off. I was adding some air to the tires with my compressor plugged into the dc/cigarette outlet and all was well. Until I fired the bike up while the compressor was running. The compressor stopped immediately and now I have no power to the DC outlet, and worse my head light and passing lamps are out. I'm guessing I blew a fuse but I'm really not sure. Any help would be great.

Looks like I'm going to have to take my old bike after all because we're going to the coast and will be riding back at night.

Also, I'm not sure if this is the correct place for a post like this...

OH MAN. Now you done did it. You let the majic smoke out probably.

your right on your suspicion of a blown fuse if you were using the aux plug up by the fairing. Although it looks like a "cig lighter" the fuse in there is like 5 amp I think. SO chances are your compressor maxed it out. The headlight I'm not sure, but should be fused separately, provided someone has not been in there previously. The headlight fuse is behind the left side cover by seat. Unfortunately the fuse for the aux power outlet is behind the right leg fairing. So Yamaha didn't do use any favors there.

I have in the past, when I found out the fuse for that was in there and they are soooo much fun to get off, putting a 20a fuse in there and adding a fuse under the fairing at the aux plug @ 5a. Should do the same thing.

Sounds to me like you blew the main fuse by having too much running at the same time time. Alternatively if you have had a poor or dirty battery connection either at the battery itself or at one of the connectors or ground connections you may have overloaded that connection which could have acted similar to the way a fuse works, overheated and possible melted the terminal.

Also check out this thread for a good example http://www.venturerider.org/forum/computer-lights-horns-other-electrical/32359-ignition-switch-wiring-failure.html

Well there's a little push button switch right next to the power outlet in the fairing that turns the passing lamps on and off. It looks factory but I'm pretty sure it's not so I think whoever installed the lamps and the switch knew what they were doing. All I can figure is that they put the headlamps/switch, power outlet and headlight all on the same fuse.

OK the headlight fuse is in a fuse block under the fake battery cover below the seat. remove only the front allen head screw, the rear screw is decoration only. the cover clips onto the center cover, so you have to be forceful. It's the left side cover I think, or is it the right? Hmmmm...

The fuse is a 15 amp fuse but with the passing lamps you may want to consider a 20 amp fuse, any short will blow a 20 amp just as easy as a 15 amp fuse...

Well I don't have time to mess with it right now because I'm just about the leave for this ride. But a quick update on the symptoms. Of course the headlight, passing lamps, and power outlet are dead. Blinkers, flashers, radio, cruise and all indicator lights except for the high beam light work. I just realized that the brake light and led light bar on the trunk aren't working either. Y'all think I'm just looking for a single fuse under the left side cover or could it be multiple fuses? I'll check back tonight after I get back home. Thanks for all the help everyone.

Response #2 tells you where the fuses are located. If its one of the dealer installed passing lights it will have a rubber covered push button switch. they are wired to suck power off the low beam of the headlight. So if you have a standard headlight and then add 2x 35w bulbs on top of that to go thru a 15a fuse what do ya think?? thats why you can find a dozen write ups about running them off a relay and a separate power source.

Here is the link for the passing light relay installation. You can use what they are for power to fire the relay, or actually pull power off say the AUX power outlet, which is turned on when the key is. that way it will let you run the light on low beam or high beam headlight operation. You will need to run a fused power wire from battery or some place that will sustain the draw.