IGNORED

Antidive removal

As part of my brake upgrade to MKII forks, rotors and R1 calipers, I want to do something with the antidive system. It is my understanding that if I block off the antidives, it only affects the fork travel at the very bottom of the stroke. I already have Progressive springs and even with no spacer at the top, it eliminated any bottoming out problems I had before. I know the MKII antidive solenoids would be easy to wire up, but if not needed, I don't want to add any more electrical draw while stopped.

For those that have blocked off the antidives, is there any negative concerns?

RandyA

As part of my brake upgrade to MKII forks, rotors and R1 calipers, I want to do something with the antidive system. It is my understanding that if I block off the antidives, it only affects the fork travel at the very bottom of the stroke. I already have Progressive springs and even with no spacer at the top, it eliminated any bottoming out problems I had before. I know the MKII antidive solenoids would be easy to wire up, but if not needed, I don't want to add any more electrical draw while stopped.

For those that have blocked off the antidives, is there any negative concerns?

RandyA

If it were me, I would leave the EAD in place on the forks and just electrically unplug them. The solenoids are deactivated and the spool valve is open at rest, with no oil control or electrical load.

It seems that unless he has upgraded the forks to MKII's, doesn't the 83 & 85 have fluid lines instead of electrical connections ? I recall reading something one time about removing the hoses and plugging the dive blocks.

I also, disconnected my electrical lines from behind the headlight after installing Progressives. Made a big difference on the electrical drain while holding the brake at lights and such.

Yep, I currently have the hydraulic controlled by the brake fluid pressure and I assume they work. I was just wondering if by blocking them off, was there was any noticable difference and even with Progressive springs, would I have some bottoming out. I know if I go to the electric ones, that by unplugging them, the spool will be open, but I don't how much difference that makes or if I block them, what difference does that make. I was just hopeing that someone that had blocked off their antidives could chime in.

RandyA

There are some that have done the AD block off and loved it, there are some that have done the AD block off and hated it.

One of my winter projects is to install the progressive front springs.

I have designed a set of block off plates that have an adjustable bypass so I can tune it anywhere from full open to full closed. We shall see how it works next spring when I can get the bike out on the road again.

There are some that have done the AD block off and loved it, there are some that have done the AD block off and hated it.

I know there will be some argument on the following statement(s):

Blocking off the MKI anti-dive with block-off plates prevents the brake hydraulics from actuating the anti-dive and the fork action is identical to no anti-dive involvement.

However, blocking off the MKII anti-dive with block-off plates essentially translates to having the anti-dive function in force at all times. The difference is in the way the fork oil is routed when anti-dive is actuated.

MKII antidive.jpg

That is why I am developing an adjustable block off plate for the MKII (because I have a MKII).

There are some with the MKII that love it and others that hate it. Now it will adjustable from full open to full closed or anywhere in between, and you will still be able to loose the big ugly EAD solenoids.