IGNORED

Gas tank removal

BARKEEP1956

I started doing a few maintenance items to my RSV now that riding season is over. I am having trouble removing the gas tank. I have had it off before, but never had a problem. The issue is the main bolt on the back end of the tank. It just keeps spinning but does not come out. Whatever the bolt screws into is spinning, but there doesn't seem to be a nut to grab. Has anyone had this problem before?:(

I have not heard of this before but I would think the nut treads may be stripped.

If I remember correctly the nut is integral to the frame mount so you might want to start by spraying some lube under the bolt head and upper washer first.

Let it set for a few so it can work its way down then as you are turning the bolt pull upward on the tank to see if the nut catches.

Attached is a picture of the tank mount assembly for reference.

Hope this helps.

RSV Fuel Tank Assy.1.jpg

Try to wedge a flat head screwdriver between the head of the bolt and the flat washer beneath it. Take a box end wrench that fits the bolt head and while turning the bolt, pry upward with the screwdriver to see if the bolt will come upward and out as you turn it. If you cant pry upward with a screwdriver, you can pull upward on the aft end of the gas tank as you turn the bolt too..

If neither option works, I hate to say it but you may have to cut the head of the bolt off, then remove the tank to avoid any damage to it, then you will have better access on getting the bolt out. You can get a replacement bolt easily at ACE hardware......

Don't know if this will help, but attached picture is best I could get of nut.

Topside arrow is looking at hole bolt goes through, threads in nut are visible.

In reflection in mirror, there are 2 tabs on either side of a steel plate that the nut slides into.

This is not the stock nut shown, I had same problem you have and I cut head of bolt off and replaced with a flange nut.

Gary

20141202_180751.jpg