IGNORED

Dang, I waited too long

CMCOFFEY

I was planning to do the brake pads this winter along with a few other things. I had a panick stop situation a few weeks ago and heard grinding and felt the brake pulsate. So I got home using only front brakes, which by the way is very weird. I ordered new pads and when they came in i went to go change them. The rotor was trashed, so I ordered a rotor and waited for it to come in.

Today I decided to take my 11 yr old son into the garage to teach him some basic maintenance. Well...look at the pics below.

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j169/coffeyR6/MISC/5739D6CB-F0DB-4C1B-9BDF-62E3EBC88E49.jpg

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j169/coffeyR6/MISC/CDFAECF8-7488-48A3-B89A-8E89A0D0FFEC.jpg

I don't think the piston was supposed to come out with the brake pad. I also don't think it was supposed to touch the rotor. Oh well now I am waiting on a caliper because they are cheeper than a new piston.

I know, that is why I was so shocked. I guess these brakes are quiet even when they are metal to metal. I just did the MSF expierienced rider course a few weeks before the panic stop. If it were making noise then, someone would have said something. It was less than 100 miles ago.

Holy burned up rear brake piston there Batman!! Personally, because I know how hard you ride Coff,, I am really not surprised at how quickly you lost those pads.. I am an avid front brake punisher, very seldom even take my foot down to touch the rear brake BUT,, depending on the conditions - mountain/back road riding still can go thru a set on one quick trip out west,, or down south to places like the Dragon...

Another thing I know from experience,, at least on my 1st Gens,, ya really gotta keep track of the calipers as they do tend to get sticky.. Without fail,, I usually end up cleaning the pistons on mine at least once a year.. Not always enough to even notice that they are sticking,, sometimes its just enough to make em drag a little...

Any chance the rear calipers on Genesis and Exodus are interchangeable?? I may very well be able to come up with a caliper for you if so!!

Here is another little tid bit of info that I picked up from George S. (if memory serves me correctly),,, at least some of our bikes - not sure if it pertains to all of them - came out of production with to much metal being taken off between the rear gear and the drive shaft housing.. It seems like he mentioned that one of the symptons of this malady was a sticky rear brake (it torques the rear wheel assembly just enough to off set the rear caliper).. I have never followed the path of checking this out,, might be something to PM George (hopefully it was him who was mentioning it - if not he will probably think I am crazy or something) about and pick his brain a little...

It sounded like a pretty simple check, put it together, loosen the 4 bolts on the rear end at the swing arm/shaft housing and seeing if it separates 10 or 20 thou.. If it does,, it seems like a small shim placed in that gap was all it took to straighten it out...

Hope this helps Sarge!!

I might have fallen victim to a sticky caliper, but as Puc said, I would bet it is my riding style. I did most of my early riding on a sport bike doing some very fast riding in the Texas Hill Country. I trail brake into turns more often than not because I forget I am on a 900lb bike.

The 1st and 2nd gen brake calipers are not the same. I was thinking about checking the pistons and steeling one from my 1st gen, but I found a used caliper for $33. Not bad at all. I think brake pads are going to go in with the oil change rotation. Changing pads early beats replacing rotors all the time. Plus I have a really cool rotor now.

I know, that is why I was so shocked. I guess these brakes are quiet even when they are metal to metal. I just did the MSF expierienced rider course a few weeks before the panic stop. If it were making noise then, someone would have said something. It was less than 100 miles ago.

Coffey.... as I recall from The Dalles it might have something to do with the music and maybe ... just maybe.... the pipes. Yup the brakes are quiet.... by comparison.

I have a son who came home one day and told me his girlfriend thinks the brakes in his truck might be making noise..... they were about the same as yours. Never heard them for the music.... she heard them when he pulled up to pick her up.

The bright side.... our sons learned how to do brake jobs.