IGNORED

Changing My Tune. 20w-50 Maxima V-Twin Mineral Earl.

yuckly

a little over a year ago ...

"I proceed with caution because people are "passionate" about what works for them...

I recently got an oil change after ... a bit longer than it should have been... and they used what was recommended and what they had and I noticed a considerable change in the clutch whine.

my previous mechanic - who is unfortunately out of commission for awhile due to health problems - used Maxima Maxum Extra 4 Synthetic 10w60 oil in my RSTD and now I remember why. The Maxum is engineered for Wet Clutches, heat reduction, etc. The oil did wonders for the clutch whine which most people observe gets worse as the bike heats up.

for product info:

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...xum4-extra-oil

http://www.stevecramerproducts.com.a...1147&B=10&BT=1

Big difference! I live in the moderate climate of SE North Carolina, so I feel the viscosity is fine for all year...

I look forward to your responses!

Well, a little over a month ago i got my clutch done. Friction plates, spring kit, etc. My mechanic- who usually uses the 10w-60 synthetic- said that to break in (or whatever the correct term is...) the friction plates, ya gotta use a mineral based oil. I didn't know that... i don't know alotta things. He used Maxima V-Twin Mineral 20w-50

With this the engine sounded great and better than it ever had. So, that's good, but the big thing was that the clutch was hooking up like it never had before! I did not realize how BAD the clutch was slipping, and some of this slipping may have been caused by the heavy synthetic which some of you here on the forum had cautioned against.

So your point Yuckly??? I am sticking with the 20w-50 mineral based oil out of fear that the clutch will slip again with synthetic!! Oh... and the Dyna 3000 I just put in is helping too!

Peace and a great Thanksgiving to all you Royal Star lovers!!:325:

• 3 months later...

Rod, I think his reference to "Dyna 3000" is probably in reference to a replacement ignition module or something - I dont recognize that as an oil. The other two oil references are basically comparing synthetic to Dino oil,, I think...

So your not recommending the oil you have the link to are you recommending a blended oil just a little confused you talk about 3 different oils here

Cowpuc was correct- Dyna 3000 is the ignition module. Yes, basically i am comparing syn and dino.

I am NOT recommending Valvoline 10w-40. Engine was too noisy.

I WAS recommending Maxim 10w-60 BEFORE i got the clutch replaced, as it made the engine quiet. (I would LOVE to go back to this oil, but i am afraid that the clutch will slip and do not want to introduce that possibility. I hate changing oil every 3k...)

I AM recommending Maxim V-Twin 20w-50 after getting clutch replaced because it is not allowing the clutch to slip.

I hope this clears up the confusion. I am not a mechanic, but just sharing my experiences and trying to explain them as clearly as possible for others to consider.

Thanks!

Edited by yuckly

Castrol 20/50 for over 50 yrs. Never a oil related problem. Just change it as you should. Oil and Filter!! I have blown a couple engines with my habit of ignoring that silly Redline but I don't blame that on the oil. When it starts sounding like a Mad Bee its time to shift!!:backinmyday::Avatars_Gee_George: