IGNORED

Starter quit

I have an 86VR with a 2nd gen starter. Yesterday with no other issues prior to this the starter wouldn't turn. All other electrics work, battery is 12.8v, I jumped the solenoid and checked for voltage at the starter which was 12.2v. Am I missing something or do I just have a bad starter?

It would seem that way that the starter is bad. It is possible the starter innards are just dirty from used brush material deposits blocking current flow, and easily cleaned off with brake cleaner spray after opening the unit.

-Pete, in Tacoma WA USA

Also the starter couldn't turn the hot engine. It was necessary to get straight off. A starter new with 4 brushes, the relay new, wires on a starter and mass of huge section. There is a thick layer pad under a stator cap. There were only gears from a starter to an overrunning clutch (Or there are still options?

Well ,it sounds like it`s time to pull the starter and see what is going on,I had a problem in the past with my Goldwing starters,went through three in 6 months,finally took one apart and found that the brush holder wasn`t riveted tight and whoever rebuilt it didn` t put any lube on the gear reduction bushings,rebuilt it myself and never had another problem,I guess there`s no such thing as quality control anymore.:080402gudl_prv: