I'm in need of an electrical diagram for my bike.. I have the shop manual with the individual diagrams but I was hoping to find one that I could follow a circuit the entire length of the bike.

Anyone have one or knows where I can get one myself?

I have an 84 Venture 1200. I’ve had electrical problems with is since I bought it last year and now that I have it apart I’m finding out why.. Someone has done a mess of a lot of jerry rigging and to this point I haven’t been able to make any since out of what they have done or why.. The best I can tell is that they had installed things on the bike that are no longer there and they didn’t seem to care about it when they removed the items they had on it.. Some of the things they have done just seem so idiotic.. It’s really hard to believe some people can be so dim…. Anyways any help anyone can give me by way of knowing where I can get a full electrical diagram would be a huge help.. Thanks..

Although it would be a lot of work, you may consider buying an entire wiring harness from ebay.

I really don't know of any pictural diagrams of the wiring harness, but some problems may not be wiring but bad solder joints on the dash, class connector, etc, or bad grounds. If wires were tacked on for accessories, as long as the wires were soldered on and taped up, then just cutting off the added wire should present no problem.

Just tell us exactly what each problem is and I'm sure you will get plenty of help here! The wires are color coded by what they do as far as the main harness is concerned.

Although it would be a lot of work, you may consider buying an entire wiring harness from ebay.

I really don't know of any pictural diagrams of the wiring harness, but some problems may not be wiring but bad solder joints on the dash, class connector, etc, or bad grounds. If wires were tacked on for accessories, as long as the wires were soldered on and taped up, then just cutting off the added wire should present no problem.

Just tell us exactly what each problem is and I'm sure you will get plenty of help here! The wires are color coded by what they do as far as the main harness is concerned.

Diddo

Guest Vandel

Not sure why my post didn't show asking the same thing. lol... ... arhgghgh.. With the bike in the garage, pulling off the dash assembly and checking everying, including the dimmer pot for the dash lights here's what's been concluded.

[Working with Lokolobo on this one]

As described the prior owner spliced a bunch of wires to rig in an makeshift audio harness. I've removed it and got most of the stock harness in the headlamp shell back to what it should be, and am left with a stub of blue/white striped wire. I do not know what this was originally hooked upto.

I've go no voltage on the Red/Yellow [high beam indicator] and no in voltage on the solid Blue which feeds the dash illuminators.

Lights/Indicators that do not work:

Tail Light

Running Lights

Turn Signal Indicators, Turn Signals [though I can hear the relay trip]

High Beam, or Headlight Indicator

Dash Illuminators for Speedo/Tach

All the bulbs are okay. Checked everyone of them. The grounds are all good, and found the battery/bad ground drain. Yet no success. Is there a way to check the Reserve Lighting Unit? As some of the lights that are not functioning have that in common for the dash. But I also do not have voltage on the tail/running light supplies.

Ones that are working:

Head Light [High and Low Beam]

Brake Light

Neutral Indicator

Red Warning LED on the Computer

Tach

Voltage and Temperature Guage.

Computer & Clock

The bike needs second gear work, and possibly steering bearings. That's another project for another time. ;)

[Edit]

The cut line is from a connector in the headlamp shell. Comes from a 6-pin. 1st Row - Blue/White [Cut], Red/Yellow, Pink 2nd Row - Dark Brown, Red/White, Dark Green...

I've also got a 9 pin connector that sits off the right side of the dash. Any idea what it's for? 1st Row - Red, Light Brown, Dark Geen, 2nd Row - Yellow Red, [Empty], Dark Brown 3rd Row - Brown/Yellow, Black, Brow/White

Also... what are the fender mounted flasher lights supposed to be hooked upto? they aren't working? both lines are just dangling with a single lead? they ground through the fender to the frame?

OK, the R/Y wire gets connected up with the Blue wire for the meter lights on the dash after it goes out the connector with 6 wires in it. It comes back into the dash as the blue ire thru the same 6 pin connector. It also is connected to the Blue/Black wire that first comes from the engine "Start" switch where it is normally connected to the Red/Yellow wire unless you are starting the bike. That R/Y wire comes from the 10 amp "Ignition" fuse located on the fuse block. The Blue/Black wire also goes to the reserve lighting unit. The other wire for the high beam indicator, the yellow ire, comes from the reserve lighting unit.

The Blue/White lead on the 18 pin computer monitor (of which 15 wires are used) is a sense line coming from the rear brake/tail lights. it comes from a 5 pin connector hich also carries the brake, tail, and turn signal lines. It goes from that 5 pin connector to a 3 pin connector for the tail light.

If the "Fender mounted flashing lights" that you are referring to is mounted on a chrome fender protector, this is an aftermarket product that those lights were generally just hooked up to be running lights, although some brave souls hooked each side up as turn signals. They would generally be hooked into the "Blue" running lights line...

Hope this gives you an area to look at. Keep in mind that connectors can develop corrosion and need to be inspected and cleaned. I assume you have tried troubleshooting of the high beam indicator via the Service manual and found no 12 volts on the yellow wire, so there was no need to ground the yellow wire to see if the indicator lights. Start by looking for 12 volts on the R/Y line coming to the handlebar start switch and go from there...

Wow, and I thought I was having fun with my complete teardown. My harness is loose from the bike, but still in fairing frame, headlight, etc. if I can help you. It is a virgin harness with no mods.

Dan

Guest Vandel
Hope this gives you an area to look at. Keep in mind that connectors can develop corrosion and need to be inspected and cleaned. I assume you have tried troubleshooting of the high beam indicator via the Service manual and found no 12 volts on the yellow wire, so there was no need to ground the yellow wire to see if the indicator lights. Start by looking for 12 volts on the R/Y line coming to the handlebar start switch and go from there...

I'll trace through what you've suggested, thank you very much for your time. Just thought I'd double check to make sure I was on the right path. And yes, did what the service manual said, just resulted in claiming there was something wrong with the reserve lighting unit. Which might be, as now I've lost the headlight, and running lights. This was priorly fixed by plugging the hazard back in. Forgot I removed that when I took off the fairing. Lots of bits on this bike. It's my first time taking down a Venture. Lots of experience on other Yamaha's, though they're all 650's, 750's and Turbo inlines. These are a different beast, but feels good to be working on a bike.

Though I might also check the alternator/generator circuit. I had the regulator fail on one of my 650's and was causing erratic behavior when it fried the diode block. Lost the headlight relay, and took out the dash. Might be something similar. I'll check that in the morning. Wouldn't be the first one I've had to reconstruct. Lots of mapping to do still. I'll keep it updated with what I find. And I've been checking all the connectors as I take them apart during mapping for corrosion. Never hurts. Quite a common thing after 20+ years... ;)

Be well all. Peace.

I feel your pain. I picked up an 83 recently that had an electrical fire inside the right fairing at one point. PO tried to fix things with wire nuts and totally removing the fuse block. Total mess. For under $30 I found a replacement on E-Bay. Only took me about 2 hours to totally replace the harness. Just started at the back, unplugged a few things and plugged in the new harness. Kept working forward until I got to the headlight area, then pulled everything out and re-connected everything. Many connectors are color coded, and/or keyed.

Very satisfied when I got everything hooked up, put in a battery and hit the switch. Most everything that should have lit up lit up, and once I worked some of the handlebar switches a few times, everything is working, except the turn signals. Still haven't hooked up the hazard switch yet.

Believe it or not, the bike fired up. Still running SeaFoam through the system, but it's getting better each time I start it.

Bottom line, you might save yourself some time by getting a replacement harness and swapping.

Also, if anyone needs replacement connectors, let me know. The old harness has all it's connectors and I'd be happy to send out any someone might need.

Best of luck!

Paul

P.S. Shameless plug: You should replace those original battery cables with new, spiffy heavy duty units. I think someone around here is producing them.:whistling: