IGNORED

Picked up a 99 Venture today. Need some help on a wobble.

Hello all. Today I picked up a used 1999 RSV. It's in great shape except a small crack in the fairing and I have a low speed wobble. It also seems to wanna track weird when on pavement that's not so great. I checked the rear shock and I didn't find anything like moisture and such. Checked tire pressure and all the good stuff. It just rolled over on 31000. Also it feels like it wants to go to the left easier than the right when I lean. Don't know much about these bikes as I have always owned a Harley. Needless to say I will never own another Harley. I bought this bike to take the place of my fatboy. Just need a little help getting her tip top.

Couple things, check to make sure front shocks are balanced for air. No more than 7 pounds but must be equal. Steering head may need tightening or loosening, look in tech area for how to do this. Tire pressure stood be near the max rated on the tire not what the bike manual says as the manual is normally for the stock tire the bike first gets. The tracking could also be just a plain wore out tire. What type is on there as there is big difference on handling characteristics of different front tires.

Check the size on the front tire, a lot of folks use one size smaller in width to help the low speed handling, that may cause tracking issues on certian roads.

Front fork pressure is critical, you must use a gauge with a zero loss chuck when checking. Actually you can pick up a suitable syringe type pump at a Harely dealer. Do not use any sort of compressor to fill the forks, only us ethe syringe type pump. The max is 7 psi, but the factory default setting is 0 psi.

You may want the check the acorn nut that is in the center of the triple tree, I found mine loose one day and that caused some slight tracking issues, but chaces are the bearings in the triple tree (streering head) need to be tightened. If you have a means to get the front wheel off the ground, let the front wheel naturally turn to the left and the right, if it moves quickly and bounces back up more than slightly when it hits the stop the bearings are to loose, it should slowly turn left or right and then just barely come up off the stop after it hits.

Do check out all of the threads in the second gen tech section.

Bronco, thanks for looking us up. Spend a little time reading around on your new ride and I think youll find its $12 well spent.

Here is the post on the steering head. I know when I first started looking here I kind of found things hard to find, sections etc. So I'll help you out.

also on your tracking if the tires are getting down towards the end of life the rears will start to "cup" sometimes one side a bit more and it will draw the bike some one way. Look at profile of rear from the side like from one saddle bag to the other close to floor. The Avons had some pretty bad times when they would split at or around the bead area.

No kidding here,but you may find that the dealer knows little about them either. It's a sad but all too often truth. Thanks to those that posted links as my tablet won't let me do that.

I was in the same boat as you,but with all the knowledge available here I have tackled things I would have never dreamed of doing!

Yea I would check the Steering head, and go with the 130 front tire next time around. Just post up here, dealers are for absolutely I can't DIY situations. They know less than we do as they are making money learning on your bike.

I would not hit a dealer until I have checked everything here AND bought new tires.

That bike will go a couple of hundred thousand without a rebuild. There is a thread on what things to look for on a 2nd Gen read through that you will find a few things you did not even know of.

I did post a link for you to get started. I had a hard time getting around the site when I first got here also. you will pick it up once you surf around a bit.

As someone previous mentioned. Most dealers are not very up on these things. they may se maybe 4 a year.

In my experience with these bikes a wobble or wander or both usually indicates something amiss with the steering head. If you have a lift, check for looseness by pulling on the forks to see if you can feel any play. If all seems ok, rotate handlebars back and forth slowly to see if it feels rough or "notchy" (for lack of a better term). It is better to check for rough rotation with the front wheel off.

Had the same issues with my 09...ditch the Venoms asap! Cured my handling/wobbling issues immediately. I went through a process of rebalancing the front tire, adjusting F/R/pressures (tires and suspension), tightening the steering head, replacing the tires (went with Michelin Commander II). Last step was the tires and that was it!