IGNORED

trunk support is broken

DANG

Hello folks, I noticed yesterday that the trunk on my 09 RSV was loose when i went to open it. I looked underneath the trunk at the frame that supports the trunk, a kinda lite gauge tubular steel, and a weld had broke. Its a joint directly unerneath the trunk on the right side. The tubular support is hanging on a bolt that is tied into the passenger seat mount. Can someone give me any ideas to fix this so it doesnt happen again. Should i take it to a weld shop and see if the can weld it? Should i replace it? Thanks:lightbulb:

It is hard to say without seeing it, but odds are I would weld it back together and add a gusset for extra strength, and maybe add a gusset in the same place on the other side.

Of course welding will mess up the chrome. You can either take it somewhere to get it chromed or splash some chrome paint on it, or take this opportunity to paint the whole thing a different color and get rid of some chrome.

• Had the same problem. A guy came by my house and welded it for me on the bike. I would look for a shop that can weld it for you on the bike. That way it should not have any stress on it. After the weld job paint it with some silver paint. Ya won't even know its been repaired. A new support was $520.00 big ones a couple of yrs ago. Check out this thread it has a picture of the break. :080402gudl_prv:

• http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?p=728620#post728620