IGNORED

Flat Tire

Barry.B

Ok guys I will start with i was out for a ride of 350 kms as i was almost home I felt the bike which is a 2nd gen start to handle different so i pulled over and my back tire was flat well got it home and was wondering what i need to do to take that rear wheel off to repair it .Any help would be appreciated :confused24:

Thank you

Barry

Never swapped one on a 2nd Gen but lots of them on a 1st.. Other than getting to the axle I cant imagine there is to much difference between the two.. Ya gotta get the back of the bike up off the ground - not even sure if yours has a center stand? On my 1st Gens I am able to center stand the bike, I place a 2x4 under the centerstand and its perfect for rear tire removal without removing the side stays that the bags hang on.. The Crown Nut on the axle should be on the final gear drive side of the back, or, left side.. Again, on the first gens you only have to remove the right bag and pipe to get the axle out because of this.

Right bag and and pipe removed, Crown Nut off, remove the clamp bolt on the end of the swing arm on the right side - it captures the axle.. Probably 12mm.. Before ya pull the axle, look at where the rear caliper hanger locates between the rear wheel and swingarm, there will be a shim between the swingarm and the hanger that will fall when ya pull the ax.. I also pull the single bolt that holds the caliper to the swing arm, not the bolts that attach the caliper to the Hanger itself.. Then when I take the wheel off I just lay the whole hanger apparatus on the swingarm for replacement.

Unclamped, the axle should slide right out.. May have to turn the non nutted end with a wrench a little to get it started.. I usually just grab it with my 16 inch channel locks. Catch the priorly mentioned spacer on its way to the ground, wiggle the caliper off the rotor, pull out a little on the wheel and off it comes...

Barry, on my 1st Gens if I dont have a lift and use the center stand I just put it up on the center stand, take a 2x4 and lay it under the bike so the board is touching the two feet of the center stand. CAREFULLY, lean the bike up on one leg of the stand enough so I can slide the board under the lifted foot.. Than lean it the otherway so the bike is lifted by the foot of the stand with the board under it and kick the board so the other side goes under the other foot too.. That extra 2 inches (or whatever the actual thickness of a 2x4 is) gives the bike plenty of extra lift for getting the rear tire off,,, on a 1st Gen anyway...

I can get the rear tire off while bike is on the stand without the assistance of a board BUT, I have to take the bag rails off to do it.. Yours may be different..

The center stand does not give you enough height to pull the rear tire out. Harbor Freight, Northern Tool or Sears have decent lifts for around 75 bucks. Once you have done it a time or two you can have the wheel off in 20 mins or less.

Well I took enough parts off and the darn tire just fell off now tomorrow I WILL try to find a new tire the tire has more then 20000 kms on it sense I own the bike I don't know how many there was on it before I bought it . I treated it like a Harley if you shake it enough something will fall off . thank you everyone for the help.Now to remember how to put it back together .:thumbsup2:

Well I took enough parts off and the darn tire just fell off now tomorrow I WILL try to find a new tire the tire has more then 20000 kms on it sense I own the bike I don't know how many there was on it before I bought it . I treated it like a Harley if you shake it enough something will fall off . thank you everyone for the help.Now to remember how to put it back together .:thumbsup2:

Wait a minute,,,, this thread was about taking the wheel off.. Putting it back on will probably constitute another thread and will also probably have to be attended to by a whole different crew of guys :rotf:

Barry, sorry I didn't see this sooner. I'm only 1/2 hour drive from A'burg. I just had knee replacement surgery so couldn't help much except for moral support. I have changed out my rear tire too many times to count so if there is something I could do to help you just give me a call. I could bring my jack as well but I don't know if it will work on your bike with a center stand.

Easy to reinstall. Make sure the spacer is in the right position.

While the wheel is off -

Get some Honda Moly 60 and lube the splines and the pins.

The splines are easy to see. They are on the inside of the pumpkin and the outside of the wheel drive hub.

It is handy to have an old tire around for this next step. Laying the wheel on an old tire keeps the brake rotor from hitting the ground while working on it.

The pins are the drive mechanism between the drive hub and the wheel. Look at the end of the hub next to the splines and you will see a snap ring. Remove this snap ring and lift the drive hub off the wheel.

You will see 5 (or 6 - don't recall) 1/2" or so pins that look like they have some rust on them. Wipe them down and clean them up with some emery cloth or fine sandpaper. Look down in the holes where these pins go. You will see surface rust in there also. A 20 ga. shotgun cleaning brush is a perfect fit to clean these up. Perhaps a little fine sandpaper around a dowel.

Coat the pins with Honda Moly 60. I suggest getting a pair of latex/nitrile gloves for this operation as the Moly 60 is a pain to get off your hands.

Reassemble. You may want to replace the snap ring if you bent it while removing it.

Ride, ride, ride.

RR

Barry, sorry I didn't see this sooner. I'm only 1/2 hour drive from A'burg. I just had knee replacement surgery so couldn't help much except for moral support. I have changed out my rear tire too many times to count so if there is something I could do to help you just give me a call. I could bring my jack as well but I don't know if it will work on your bike with a center stand.

Thank you Gary for the offer but the bike is almost back together I ended up buying a tire today and got it mounted and balanced and when i got home I started at it and all ther is left to put on is the saddle bags . There is just not alot of room to take off that rear tire .

Barry:)