IGNORED

High rpm in 5th, Normal????

Kettlinton

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well it looks like a stock final drive[emoji52] guess I will just have to get use to the higher rpm in 5th.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Run around in 4th gear for a while, and then when you hit 5th it'll seem like overdrive.... :sign20:

Kettlinton, I live in Chambersburg, PA and would be able to meet you half way in Littlestown, PA. About 35 miles for each of us. Let me know your schedule. Join up and private message me for details.

Fitz

thanks!!! PM on the way!

Well it looks like a stock final drive[emoji52] guess I will just have to get use to the higher rpm in 5th.

Looks? If the gears were swapped out, you can't see a difference. Did you verify with PO?

Looks? If the gears were swapped out, you can't see a difference. Did you verify with PO?

The PO said he never did the swap. That doesn't mean the owner before him didn't do it. Hopefully after the test ride we can see if the clutch is the issue or if normal or whatever[emoji3]. Didn't think about the gear swap. Thanks!!

Based upon what? The comment about it having a stud or hole where one should be is not necessarily true. Most of us who have gone with the VMAX rear conversion have done it through RSVPowermax or some company close to that name. He removes the gears from the VMAX rear and re-installs them in the RSV housing. So you really can't tell me looking at the housing. There will be no external differences.

Based upon what? The comment about it having a stud or hole where one should be is not necessarily true. Most of us who have gone with the VMAX rear conversion have done it through RSVPowermax or some company close to that name. He removes the gears from the VMAX rear and re-installs them in the RSV housing. So you really can't tell me looking at the housing. There will be no external differences.
yes, another member said the same which I was not aware of at the time. Going to get it looked at and see if that is indeed the case. I really hope that it is the Vmax mod, that way I can go back to stock.

Kettlinton bought the bike from me. I never had a high revving problem and I had Riderduke help me synch the carbs about a year ago with his carbtune. Not sure if the Vmax mod was done by the gentleman I bought it from or not. I did not do it. The bike does have a Dyna 3000 ignition. I know it took some getting used to when I got it. I previously had a Vstar 1100 and a Concours. I had to ride the Venture more like the inline 4 in the Concours instead of the Vtwin in the Vstar.

Riderduke has ridden the bike as well and thought it rode great.

Kettlinton bought the bike from me. I never had a high revving problem and I had Riderduke help me synch the carbs about a year ago with his carbtune. Not sure if the Vmax mod was done by the gentleman I bought it from or not. I did not do it. The bike does have a Dyna 3000 ignition. I know it took some getting used to when I got it. I previously had a Vstar 1100 and a Concours. I had to ride the Venture more like the inline 4 in the Concours instead of the Vtwin in the Vstar.

Riderduke has ridden the bike as well and thought it rode great.

Thanks for coming on Bumble Bee. I suspect the bike is ok. Just a different sound then the OP is used to. I know it wasn't until I did some muffler work that I got used to the Venture engine sound. The Rs sound didn't seem to match the speed .

Mike

Thanks for coming on Bumble Bee. I suspect the bike is ok. Just a different sound then the OP is used to. I know it wasn't until I did some muffler work that I got used to the Venture engine sound. The Rs sound didn't seem to match the speed .

Mike

Bike may be just fine, at 70-75mph the bike sound like its in 4th gear even though it's in 5th. If I roll On The throttle at 70mph she still pulls like a raped ape[emoji41]. But I have nothing to compare it to at the moment. Once I meet up with fitz, I will have a better understanding of the bike and if it does indeed have the VMax mod. Thank Zak for chiming in.

Edited by Kettlinton
edit

Bike may be just fine, at 70-75mph the bike sound like its in 4th gear even though it's in 5th. If I roll On The throttle at 70mph she still pulls like a raped ape[emoji41]. But I have nothing to compare it to at the moment. Once I meet up with fitz, I will have a better understanding of the bike and if it does indeed have the VMax mod. Thank Zak for chiming in.

Mark no problem. I told you that I would be here to help in any way that I can. I am not out to get over on anyone. There have been many times I thought something was wrong and had someone else ride it and put my mind at ease. Kind of like doing the wheel bearings when they really didn't need it. But at least they are new and done. Steering bearing also tightened. And the guys here have helped a bunch and are more than willing to help diagnose and repair anything. I will continue to be a member here even though I am going to buy the adventure bike. I will be more accessible when we get back from vacation tomorrow. Have been out in the ocean doing a lot of fishing everyday with spotty cell service.

UPDATE!!!!

Out riding today and came across a guy in my neighborhood with a 03 Venture with the Vmax gear swap. I was talking to him about the way my bike rode and he said it sounds like the swap. So I ask if we could swap bikes and for him to give me his opinion. He said sure and we were off. About 5 miles into the ride, he pulls over and said without a doubt it was the Vmax gear swap!!! His bike felt the same way mine does!!! So I am happy to find out that this is not a issue and normal for this mod. He also told me my front rotors were warp which I knew and I have the new rotors in hand. He also told me how the bike wants to "wonder" at low to mid speed which I also have felt. Now to figure out what that is all about. THANK YOU GUYS FOR HELPING ME WITH THIS AND LEADING ME IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION!!!!!

If you decide to swap the v-max back to stock I recommend you keep the v-max in tact as a spare pumpkin. My thinking is at some point you may want to put it back in. The Venture actually likes the rpm.

The first thing I would check for wander is tire pressure. Keep it on the high side. Behind that is steering head bearing preload.

Mike

If you want to check gearing, pull the boot back where the swing arm connects to the engine so you can see the driveshaft. Have someone turn the rear wheel exactly one revolution and if it is stock, the driveshaft will rotate 3 and 1/3 times. If it is a V-Max final drive, the driveshaft will rotate 3 and 2/3 times.

This may be a little more difficult on a 2nd gen without a center stand, but this will tell you which final drive you have without doing more.

RandyA

If you want to check gearing, pull the boot back where the swing arm connects to the engine so you can see the driveshaft. Have someone turn the rear wheel exactly one revolution and if it is stock, the driveshaft will rotate 3 and 1/3 times. If it is a V-Max final drive, the driveshaft will rotate 3 and 2/3 times.

This may be a little more difficult on a 2nd gen without a center stand, but this will tell you which final drive you have without doing more.

RandyA

An easier check is to pull the Speedometer pickup (after removing the left saddle bag) out and count the teeth on the pinion. Stock=10 teeth, V-Max=9.

Yeah, ya still gotta get the rear wheel off the ground to do this...:cool10:

For tire pressure, I notice a big difference when my front wheel gets down to around 34psi. I run at 37psi so I have a bit of a fudge factor for cooler days.

Rear tire I run at 40psi.

If your bike seems to want to wander, have you checked front for air pressure? They aren't linked so you might have more/less pressure in one than the other. You can easily zero them out by letting the air out, or use a zero loss pump. I use a pump that has a max 30psi gauge because it is easier to do the low psi that the front shocks require - max 7psi.

After tire pressure and shock pressure, I'd check your steering head to make sure it is tight enough. Easy way to test steering head is to put the bike on a lift and hold the handlebars 45 degrees to the left and let go. If it continues on it's own then it is too loose. There is a write up on how to tighten them. I do the 45 degree test rather than the "bounce" test because different people push it over at different speeds. A static 45 degrees is a static 45 degrees. It the bike has been run with loose steering head for some time, you might be into replacing bearings.

To test bearings, with the bike on a secure lift, grab the front forks low and try to move them forward and back. If there is play in the forks, you probably need bearings. I'm sure others will comment on better ways to test/confirm bearing wear. I'm not a mechanic but this would be a starting point for me.

An easier check is to pull the Speedometer pickup (after removing the left saddle bag) out and count the teeth on the pinion. Stock=10 teeth, V-Max=9.

Yeah, ya still gotta get the rear wheel off the ground to do this...:cool10:

Good idea. I forgot about the hole there. But, we don't want to make it too easy. :whistling:

RandyA

Mark as far as the front wander have you tried loosening the preload on the rear shock as i suggested. That hagon rear is set very stiff for 1 up but was perfect and no wandering 2 up. Like i said i was told several times that stiff set up in the rear can cause a loose feeling in the front.

Mark as far as the front wander have you tried loosening the preload on the rear shock as i suggested. That hagon rear is set very stiff for 1 up but was perfect and no wandering 2 up. Like i said i was told several times that stiff set up in the rear can cause a loose feeling in the front.

Tried to adjust it but could not get the nit to budge. I didn't have bike on a jack so that could be the problem. I will try it on a jack today or tomorrow. The nut(top nut, I see nothing else to adjust on the shock)looks to be all the way out, do I turn it to compress the spring in order to soften the ride? I see no room to let it out.