IGNORED

Rut-roh. My new to me bike has no speedo.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Found a miniscule trace of water at the elbow right off the pump. I then realized that at some point in time, I managed to dent said elbow with the guard. I promptly kicked it away from said elbow, dent, no puncture. That elbow is now on my to-do list.

Those elbows are well known to leak after being touched by the engine guard.

If there is a dent there is most likely also a leak right at the dent. I ground down and smoothed off the corner of the engine guard mount to get a little more clearance between it and the elbow, for next time something bumps the guard.:whistling:

It never frickin' ends... Actually road home from work in some traffic today, decided to go for a little jaunt down my road. Cross the intersection and put the hammer down a bit. Settle in and cruise, and about half a mile down the road I notice movement on the dash, so I look down...just in time to watch one of the dash vents pop out of the dash and go sailing over my head. *facedesk facedesk FACEDESK!* http://www.sherv.net/cm/emoticons/bad/dirty-language-smiley-emoticon.gif

Yeah, I gotta replace the front end at some point anyway, so... When that time comes...

I have bigger issues at the moment. She seems to be using more fuel than she should. Poured a slightly excessive amount of Seafoam in the tank, I'll see what happens over the course of the week. Gonna check the air filter on my day off. Not sure what else to check unless the carbs are out of whack or something. Oughta check the plugs while I'm at it.

Yeah, I gotta replace the front end at some point anyway, so... When that time comes...

I have bigger issues at the moment. She seems to be using more fuel than she should. Poured a slightly excessive amount of Seafoam in the tank, I'll see what happens over the course of the week. Gonna check the air filter on my day off. Not sure what else to check unless the carbs are out of whack or something. Oughta check the plugs while I'm at it.

I have found that a heavy dose of Seafoam will reduce gas m,ilage while it is in there. Once you go back to a normal dose the mileage should come back to normal. Hold off on checking the plugs till you have run that heavy dose of Seafoam out. Heavy Seafoam can foul the plugs. Spark plugs are cheap enough that if I am going to go thru the trouble of pulling them to check, I just put in new ones.

When was the last time you had the carbs synced?

Got held up at work, had to ride home really skirting the "no riding after dark" provision.

I round a corner with a cager close on my tail when I hear a banging noise, and my handling changes dramatically. I look back and I see this sliding down the road in my mirror...

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o187/sickmusician/Bike/IMG_20140815_010948.jpg

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o187/sickmusician/Bike/IMG_20140815_010922.jpg

As you can imagine, I'm not quite thrilled about this... Any way to fix the bag (right side) or do I have to go looking for a new one and have the damn thing re-keyed? I'm starting to get a little bit disgusted with this constant abuse of its rider...

The plates with the "pins" just bolt on, so if the area around them isn't cracked out you can replace them with used.

You'll want to check out why the mount lock allow the bag to come off.

The backside of the bag has a support that rests on a rail...support is visible but is the rail there on the bike?

It just looks like the bag was flexing on the pins till they broke.

Even if you go with another bag, as long as you can open the original bag, you can remove the locks and transfer over to another, no need to re key locks.

Edited by Neil86

Today I adjusted my pegs... Took it for a test ride, pull in the driveway and I've got a massive puddle of fuel under it ten seconds after I parked it. This is starting to get old real damn quick.

I don't know much about carburetors and I don't know anything more than the basics of this fuel system. Not sure where to look other than the tank and lines, not sure if I want to look. I'm tempted to just put it up for the season and fix anything that even looks like it MIGHT bes out of place. :depressed:

Today I adjusted my pegs... Took it for a test ride, pull in the driveway and I've got a massive puddle of fuel under it ten seconds after I parked it. This is starting to get old real damn quick.

I don't know much about carburetors and I don't know anything more than the basics of this fuel system. Not sure where to look other than the tank and lines, not sure if I want to look. I'm tempted to just put it up for the season and fix anything that even looks like it MIGHT bes out of place. :depressed:

If the float valves stick open, then the fuel overflows out one of the four tubes (exiting in front of the rear wheel). Try rapping the float bowls with a dowel and mallet to try to jar the sticking valve into closing.

It is not a death knell for the bike. Just may need some fuel system cleanser. Close your tank petcock after riding until the issue is resolved.

With the side bags off, there is a 12mm bolt on each side of the seat. Take them loose and lift the seat off. For your carbs, take off your side covers and the tank cover. Pull the airbox off and you will see four hoses that come up from the back. Pull each one off and turn the key on and cycle your kill switch to activate the fuel pump. One of the carb vents should squirt out some fuel. On that carb, go to the bottom of the carb and you will see a Philips head screw. Loosen that screw and fuel should drain out of the hose below the diaphragm cover. Once fuel stops, blow some air into the fuel inlet for that carb. Put it all back together and go for a ride.

RandyA

Looks like my leak is near the rear of the fuel tank. I have no idea how to get in there. Also, what's with the wires here? http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/08/22/9913f52fd41678ef16c3a640a8320ed4.jpg

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/08/22/9f09922042313818828b3c60852fdf91.jpg

There are two more wires busted off just out of frame. I'm replacing the fuel shut off once the new one arrives.

As far as the fuel issue goes, I have no idea. It's a torrential downpour of gasoline running down the shock. I'll take another look tomorrow. It only leaks with the engine on though. Not sure what's holding that cover in place, but it doesn't want to move and I'm worried I'm going to break it.

It wouldn't be a bad idea to change the fuel filter while I'm at it, either.

Not sure what it's going to take to change that fuel valve, but I know I can't get my hands up in there.

It sounds from your description like a pressurized leak since it stops when engine and fuel pump stop....in other words at fuel pump or fuel to carbs or carb overflows.

Maybe with bike off, figure out the 4 overflow hoses from the carbs (there are a couple others, fuel tank vent, coolant reservoir...)

Make sure they (the carb overflows)are not misrouted so they can't dump fuel higher up.

At fuel pump, make sure both hoses (suction and discharge)are securely attached.

I wouldn't try running bike looking for the leak....but when you turn on the key, the pump will run for a few seconds, then time out if engine does not rotate. Watching fuel pump area turn key on and just let it pump a few seconds.

Better than a leak on the fuel tank itself.

Edited by Neil86

Good news, bad news! Good news, choke is now working as it should and after firing air through that carb I no longer have an overflow issue! Bad news, fuel line off the fuel valve is totally shot, fuel filter needs replaced and the FedEx man didn't leave my new valve when he was here today so I have to wait until tomorrow to put it all back together.

Also: Decided to go ahead and drain the tank, and wore a good cup or two of gas. She sounds MEAN with no pipes! Before I put the air box and filter back in place, I'm going to clean and re oil the filter. I was not expecting to see a non-stock filter.

Before I put the air box and filter back in place, I'm going to clean and re oil the filter. I was not expecting to see a non-stock filter.

That non stock filter is something to keep in the back of your mind. These bikes are very sensitive to changes in the air delivery system. Many, but not all, have had to mess with the carb jets after changing to a non stock air filter. Yous may or may not have been messed with. If your carbs were adjusted to the new filter then you do not want to switch back to stock. if you carbs were never adjusted, to the new filter, it may run better with the stock filter. just drilling a 1/2 inch hole in the side of the air box for more air was enough to make some bikes run poorly.