IGNORED

Looking for some good WV roads to ride on

Eck

Any of you in WV know of some nice MC roads to ride by starting in Fairmont, WV.?

My ride plans are to ride from Fairmont and slowly head towards Front Royal, VA. so I can ride Skyline south.

My first day ride from Fairmont I was looking / thinking of riding south to Grafton, then east on Hwy 50 to Aurora, then south to Parsons, picking up hwy 72 south and then Hwy 33 west to Elkins, taking 250 south to Snowshoe to Green Bank, then HWyY250 east to

Churchville, then heading to Luray, VA for the night.. Next day heading to Skyline to go south..

Those of you who live in WV might know some better routes to take to enjoy the mountains, sweepers and curves...:confused24:

I used to live in WV but now in TN. I hosted several Ride-Ins in the area you are wanting to ride.

Your route certainly would be nice. If it were me wanting to get from Fairmont to Skyline Drive, I would probably do this.

Fairmont, Rt250 to Rt50 to Rt72 to Parsons Rt219 to Thomas Rt 32.

Visit Black Water Falls. (if waterfalls aren't your thing... go ahead and take Rt 72 out of Parsons to Rt32)

Rt32 to Harmon Rt33 to Seneca Rocks. Stop and Visit Seneca Rocks. If you are a hiker, take strenuous hike to top. Worth the hike.

After Seneca Rocks, take Rt 28 to the north. Go about 15 miles and turn right onto Smoke Hole Road. Follow this through Smokehole Canyon until you reach Rt220.

Take Rt220 south until you reach Rt33. Then follow Rt 33 east to Rt340 north to Luray.

As plotted above, you would have about a 250 mile ride from Fairmont to Luray.

Now I am assuming you feel you must do Skyline Drive so you can add that to your BTDT list. Personally, when I travel the area now, I skip Skyline. Too slow. Get the same ride on Blue Ridge Parkway but at a faster pace and no entry fee.

Now if Skyline isn't a must... you might consider where Rt33 hits I-81 at Harrisonburg and run that a short distance to Staunton to pick up Rt250. Shortly after hitting Rt250, plan for dinner at Mrs. Rowes. You must get some pie! Then take Rt250 into Waynesboro and stay there instead. Then begin your trek south on Blue Ridge Parkway.

Whatever you decide... ride safe and enjoy the ride! Also note.. when playing around in that area of WV... do not let yourself get too low on gas. There are sections where fuel stops are far between.

I concur with Gary, the Skyline is best skipped if you can. 35mph, Rangers every few miles with radar and laser looking for a handout.105 miles up hill, both ways

BlueRidge is many times more comfortable, better pace, fewer Rangers, much better views, and just like Skyline your Granfathers tax dollars built it but no entry fee to ride it.

Now for his directions,,,, leave yourself 8 or 10 hours to ride that 260 miles, you will enjoy 99% of it immensely. Depending on when you are coming through, and what route you are taking we may be up for the 265 mile jaunt up to Fairmont with you.

Venturous,

That is what I am looking for. I think I will change my route to your suggestions.

I was going to stay on Hwy 50 to MD just so I could say I was in MD.....but who cares..

I like the waterfalls idea too.. but I am not a hiker...

Many thanks...:thumbsup2:

If anyone has some other ideas, please share them.

Thanks

Eck

50 east is a fun road, but I'd likely take 42 down to US48 and then to Front Royal.

Other than Skyline is there reason to go to Front Royal?

Bob,

I just made tentative plans to meet up with Skid on my way up to Fairmont.

I also may have someone following me, but not sure yet....(Hope so anyway)...

This is what I sent to Skid in an email:

Right now, I do not have an "actual date" as to when I will be going through your area on my way to Fairmont.

My ex-brother in law, (Paul), who is my best friend to this day, works for a living where as I don't.. I am waiting on him to tell me when he can take his vacation.

I do know he will be taking it in Sept., but not sure yet as to what week.

Usually, we meet up on a Weds., spend the night in the town where we meet up, then the next day we take off for a 5, 7 or day ride.

As soon as I know the actual date that I will meet up with Paul, I will send you another email, (here on the site), and let you know. Hopefully we can meet up for lunch and chat a while.

I will be leaving Huntsville a day earlier than the date Paul and I are to meet up since I have a longer ride to get there.

Paul only has a 4.5 hour ride to Fairmont, where I will have a 640 mile ride.

I will be riding up to Beckley (or Mount Hope), and spend the night, then the next day I will head to Fairmont to meet up with you for lunch, then take off to meet up with Paul around 3pm.

My cell # is: 256-four two nine - 86 two three

I will get your number from your profile page and plug it into my cell phone right now..

Eck

Bob,

I am going into your profile page to get your phone number, and I will call you (and Skid) from my motel in Beckley or Mount Hope, and see if we can all get together for lunch.

Everyone and anyone is MOST WELCOME to go on this ride with us if you wish. When I get the dates, I can send motel info if anyone wants to make arrangements.

I do know that I am meeting my friend in Fairmont here:

Fairfield Inn & Suites/ Marriott

27 Southland Dr

Fairmont, WV 26554

Get directions

(304) 367-9150

marriott.com

My wife and I will be meeting a small group of friends in that area Sept 18-22 for some riding. I will watch for a '02 Wing. :)

When I travel to the Beckley area, I usually stay in Fayetteville at the Quality Inn. They have a onsite pub and a Dairy Queen both within easy walking distance. If you do stay in Fayetteville... one of the our favorite places to eat is Dirty Ernies Rib Pit. If you look around, you will see a couple of my Ride-In t-shirts hanging there.

Also, I would suggest taking a ride under the New River Gorge bridge. First, stop at the visitor center. Then follow signs for the road under bridge. This road has some real sharp switchbacks and is a narrow one way road with broken pavement. But it is worth the ride.

Also, out of Fayetteville, take Rt16 then head east on Rt60. Stop at the Hawks Nest State Park overlook. Awesome views of New River Gorge. Late September should be especially great view.

Now, for a nice scenic ride from Fayetteville to Fairmont, you could do this...

After Hawks Nest, continue east on Rt 60 to just past Rainelle then take Rt20 north to Nette. Take Rt39 east to Rt150. (Rt 39 and Rt150 are AKA Highlands Scenic Byway). Rt150 will spit you out on Rt219. Take Rt219 north to Rt33. Rt33 west to I-79 then I-79 to Fairmont. This would be around 250 miles, but some awesome roads.

Venturous,

That is what I am looking for. I think I will change my route to your suggestions.

I was going to stay on Hwy 50 to MD just so I could say I was in MD.....but who cares..

I like the waterfalls idea too.. but I am not a hiker...

Many thanks...:thumbsup2:

If anyone has some other ideas, please share them.

Thanks

Eck

Eck you can still ride RT 50 into MD. just hit RT 219 south and it will take you to Thomas, WV then go straight through town and it will take you to Davis and Black Water Falls, when you leave Black Water Falls turn Right and go through Harmon and on to Seneca Rocks. Do not take Rt 72 out of Parsons it turns into a county road about 1 1/2 lane wide and verry twisty. It is close to riding the Dragon but only half as wide.

My wife and I will be meeting a small group of friends in that area Sept 18-22 for some riding. I will watch for a '02 Wing. :)

That's a SILVER 02 Wing.. the fastest colored ones...ha

Also, I would suggest taking a ride under the New River Gorge bridge. First, stop at the Rode under the bridge last year. Thanks

Also, out of Fayetteville, take Rt16 then head east on Rt60. Stop at the Hawks Nest State Park overlook. Awesome views of New River Gorge. Late September should be especially great view. Now, for a nice scenic ride from Fayetteville to Fairmont, you could do this...

After Hawks Nest, continue east on Rt 60 to just past Rainelle

Rode Route 60 last year and took 20 south out of Rainelle.

then take Rt20 north to Nette. Take Rt39 east to Rt150. (Rt 39 and Rt150 are AKA Highlands Scenic Byway). Rt150 will spit you out on Rt219. Take Rt219 north to Rt33. Rt33 west to I-79 then I-79 to Fairmont. This would be around 250 miles, but some awesome roads.

I will be on most of these routes you mentioned on our way south.

(I decided not to get on Skyline Dr., in Front Royal..)

Many thanks....:thumbsup2:

Eck

E

ck you can still ride RT 50 into MD. just hit RT 219 south and it will take you to Thomas, WV then go straight through town and it will take you to Davis and Black Water Falls, when you leave Black Water Falls turn Right and go through Harmon and on to Seneca Rocks.

Do not take Rt 72 out of Parsons it turns into a county road about 1 1/2 lane wide and verry twisty. It is close to riding the Dragon but only half as wide.

This is part of my plan, but I was going to take HWY 219 out of Parsons and head to Elkins, then take 72 east. I know it is a back country road and 1 1/2 lanes wide. I zoomed in on Google and placed that little man on the road so I could see what it looked like.

Eck,

This is one of my wifes favorite rides. Slow stroll thru the country side. I think it is nicknamed the Goat Trail.

Another note on roads to ride.

Just South of Seneca Rock is Spruce Knob the highest point in WV. Very nice ride also.

Hope you have a safe ride my friend.

Cowboy

To pile on what everybody said.... Just came back (Sat) from a day-long 435 miles ride in Virginia and West Virginia. Beautiful roads on both sides of the state line.... Without suggesting you exact route - rt250 and rt33 are great, rt250 have more curves and switchbacks (not that 33 is lacking any), especially crossing the state line.

Rt 28 is great, rt39 also. Avoid rt1 - too narrow, bad pavement... Area around Seneca Rocks is nice, great rides there. If you can, visit Cass - nice roads there and a cool old-fashion logging train can take you on the top of the mountain.

Gas stations are few and far between, top off any time you can cause you don't know when the next one is coming. Same apply to food - not very many restaurants, even fast food ones. Prepare yourself.

Rt16 was very nice south of the New River Gorge bridge (another must-see) but I didn't like the north part of it - bad pavement (BAD!), badly constructed curves...

Rt219 is a nice diagonal communication throughout the state.

If you wanna go all the way "down south", you don't want to miss The Back of The Dragon (not the same as The Tail of The Dragon). It's 33 miles of curves and switchbacks between Marion and Tazewell. Very enjoyable, fun ride that sometimes feels like an obstacle course hahaha.

Blue Ridge is nice to see and ride but not for a 100+ miles, at least not for me. The speed limit is low (better that the Skyline drive, but still) and after a while the scenery is kinda repeating. It's great for a 30-50 miles stretch and than swing back to rt56 or rt60 and hit the curves!

You'll love it. If you decide to cross to Virginia, don't miss rt231. While in Luray, you can take rt211 over the mountain (lots of curves) and than at Sperryville take rt231. Beautiful nature. Different than WV - more rolling hills, less mountains, nice curves....

Almost forgot - while on Blue Ridge Parkway stop by Devil's Backbone Brewery (a stonethrow from the Parkway) - great food and phenomenal beer. It's in VA though but well worth the stop. If you like waterfalls, the highest waterfalls on this side of the Mississippi are there - Crabtree Falls. Easy hike to the top where you can have lunch with a million dollar view...

Any of you in WV know of some nice MC roads to ride by starting in Fairmont, WV.?

My ride plans are to ride from Fairmont and slowly head towards Front Royal, VA. so I can ride Skyline south.

My first day ride from Fairmont I was looking / thinking of riding south to Grafton, then east on Hwy 50 to Aurora, then south to Parsons, picking up hwy 72 south and then Hwy 33 west to Elkins, taking 250 south to Snowshoe to Green Bank, then HWyY250 east to

Churchville, then heading to Luray, VA for the night.. Next day heading to Skyline to go south..

Those of you who live in WV might know some better routes to take to enjoy the mountains, sweepers and curves...:confused24:

Eck,

72 is a GREAT road! :photographing: Just don't take Pub RD 13!!!! :yikes: Trust me on this one! :whistling:

Bryan

Don't want to hijack this thread, but I'm looking for a little info from some of you that have ridden the Blue Ridge in Va. I'm trying to plan out a ride to New River Gorge, then pick up the B/R either at Lexington or Roanoke, then down the rest of it to Maggie Valley. From there we're thinking a loop down to the N/C Falls area, (Bridal Veil, Dry Falls, etc.), then work our way north back home. It'll be about an all day ride to Beckley, WV, so that eats up the first day. Any info or suggestions are welcome since I'm not familiar with the B/R north of Asheville, or the W/V part of this plan. I'm thinking about 5 or 6 days total, and I kinda need to figure that out since the couple going with us have to schedule vacation for it. Thanks in advance for any/all assistance.

Don't want to hijack this thread, but I'm looking for a little info from some of you that have ridden the Blue Ridge in Va. I'm trying to plan out a ride to New River Gorge, then pick up the B/R either at Lexington or Roanoke, then down the rest of it to Maggie Valley. From there we're thinking a loop down to the N/C Falls area, (Bridal Veil, Dry Falls, etc.), then work our way north back home. It'll be about an all day ride to Beckley, WV, so that eats up the first day. Any info or suggestions are welcome since I'm not familiar with the B/R north of Asheville, or the W/V part of this plan. I'm thinking about 5 or 6 days total, and I kinda need to figure that out since the couple going with us have to schedule vacation for it. Thanks in advance for any/all assistance.

I'd make it a full day, 8 hours of riding or so and become destinated for the day in Staunton(470 miles from you). From there I'd head east on 64 and jump on the BRP from there. May as well do the whole thing! It's only 469 miles to Cherokee, but it'll take 2 days if you like to stop and peek over the edge of the lookouts. We have ridden it in 13 hours, 4 of which were in the rain. No fun.

When you going? Wife and I may like to cruise along with you from Lexington to Staunton. We are planning a Great Lakes trip for September so likely that is eactly when you are planning yours

Thanks Bob!! New River Gorge is on both our bucket lists, so it's the first stop by default. I was thinking pick up the BR at Lexington too, for exactly the reason you said, just because it's there. We're planning on this being a sightseeing ride, so 2 days to Asheville would be good. Figuring 2-3 more days to do the south end of it should be good. My friend is also talking about taking in a little of SC & Ga. I need to pick his mind a little more to see how many days he's thinking. Yes, it'll probably be around the 2nd week of Sept, our son from Fla is coming home the first week. I appreciate the help, I'll let you know what we figure out. Thanks!!!

I'm trying to plan out a ride to New River Gorge, then pick up the B/R either at Lexington or Roanoke, then down the rest of it to Maggie Valley.

If it were me.... I would run RT16 all the way from Beckeley to Marion, Va. All the ride is nice, but the section from Tazewell, VA to Marion, VA is the popular Back of the Dragon. For stickers and shirts, stop at the Thompson Country Store just past Tazewell.

I would then jump on I-81 at marion and run it south to Bristol. Take Exit 1A to Rt 381. Then turn onto Rt421 and run Rt421 all the way to Deep Gap to pick up the Blue Ridge Parkway. The section of RT421 from South Holston Lake to Mountain City is refer to as The Shady Valley Snake. For stickers and shirts, stop at Shady Valley Store about halfway through.

As for running the entire BRP... BTDT several times. OK to kill a few days, but if you want to make the most of a vacation... I wouldn't. See one 100 mile section... ya seen it all. The section from Asheville to Maggie Valley is without doubt, the best section to do. Just my opinion.

Enjoy and be safe!

Edited by Venturous

Eck,

This is one of my wifes favorite rides. Slow stroll thru the country side. I think it is nicknamed the Goat Trail.

Cowboy: I'm definitely going to ride this rode. I have it in my ride plans...Thanks

Another note on roads to ride.

Just South of Seneca Rock is Spruce Knob the highest point in WV. Very nice ride also.

Hope you have a safe ride my friend.

Cowboy: I added Spruce Knob to my ride plans. This is a must see since we will be that close. Thanks

To pile on what everybody said.... Just came back (Sat) from a day-long 435 miles ride in Virginia and West Virginia. Beautiful roads on both sides of the state line.... Without suggesting you exact route - rt250 and rt33 are great, rt250 have more curves and switchbacks (not that 33 is lacking any), especially crossing the state line.

Tisunac: We will be taking Hwy 250. I have this route in my ride plans. Thanks

Rt 28 is great, rt39 also. Avoid rt1 - too narrow, bad pavement... Area around Seneca Rocks is nice, great rides there. If you can, visit Cass - nice roads there and a cool old-fashion logging train can take you on the top of the mountain.

I can not find Rt 28 or rt 39... Where are they located? I looked around Seneca Rocks but don't see either route?

Gas stations are few and far between, top off any time you can cause you don't know when the next one is coming. Same apply to food - not very many restaurants, even fast food ones. Prepare yourself.

Will be carrying snack foods and drinks is a cooler. I too noticed gas stations are far between.. thanks

Rt16 was very nice south of the New River Gorge bridge (another must-see) but I didn't like the north part of it - bad pavement (BAD!), badly constructed curves...

Rt219 is a nice diagonal communication throughout the state.

If you wanna go all the way "down south", you don't want to miss The Back of The Dragon (not the same as The Tail of The Dragon). It's 33 miles of curves and switchbacks between Marion and Tazewell. Very enjoyable, fun ride that sometimes feels like an obstacle course hahaha.

Blue Ridge is nice to see and ride but not for a 100+ miles, at least not for me. The speed limit is low (better that the Skyline drive, but still) and after a while the scenery is kinda repeating. It's great for a 30-50 miles stretch and than swing back to rt56 or rt60 and hit the curves!

I've been on all these roads several times in past years and lead many rides on them. Thanks

Eck, 72 is a GREAT road! :photographing: Just don't take Pub RD 13!!!! :yikes: Trust me on this one! :whistling:

Bryan

Thanks Bryan, 72 I will be taking...Thanks!!

Wrench,

Not sure what your plans are for nights but in the past the group I ride with usually stay at Babcock State Park, WV. It is just 20 min from the New River Gorge. Look it up really a beautiful park. Cabins on the river are great for a nights rest.

Leaving Babcock or even the new river gorge we love this ride US60 East to I-64 East to WV311 South to Cave Springs, VA. Pick up the Blue Ridge and take it down to Marby Mill. Just off the parkway are a few options for lodging. Note: Fuel & Food & Lodging on the parkway are few and far between! You always have to swing off and get either.

http://binged.it/1qD0Oqn

Breakfast at the Marby Mill Restraunt and then a nice days ride down to Ashville, NC. or if you still feel like riding make it down to Maggie Valley via Blue Ridge Parkway. Quick Stop on Hwy256 South for a view of Looking Glass Falls. If you choose to take 256 North in to Maggie Valley you will miss some of the highest points and most scenic if you can believe it. My suggestion is to make it at least to US19 on the BR.

Bridal Veil is not worth seeing however Dry Falls is a must. Quick note US64 is a main road that has a bit of traffic on it. especially between Brevard and Franklin, NC.

Roads I suggest in GA. SC.

Leaving Maggie Valley, US74 West to Franklin, NC US64 East to Dry Falls & Highland,NC

NC 28 South into SC 28 to Walhalla, SC Pick up SC 183 South to US 76 West. Note I know of 4 waterfalls on this section of hwy. Never been down to see them so I cannot say if the road is paved or not, I would think they are due to being clearly marked by the SC highway department. Once you make it to Clayton, GA Take US 441 South about 6 miles to Wiley, GA. Turning West on to the old US 441 South to Lake Rabun Road follows the lakes of North Georgia.

Hey just follow link of a great ride below.

http://binged.it/1tMnPg0

If you have any questions feel free to call me.

Seven Zero Six - Six Three Five - One Five Eight Zero

Cowboy

Brian Shoemaker

WV28 & US33 are the same road at Seneca Rock,WV

Reference

WV28 South all the way south until you get to Huntersville, WV finding WV39 West & East

WV39 from Marlinton, WV to Goshen, VA & on over to I-64 & I-81

or while running WV39 East catch Douthat State Park Road South down to I-64 go under I-64 on to US220 South to Hwy43 South East to Buchanan, VA then picking up BRP or others.

This is a link to options for staying in and around Marby Mills, VA Mile Post 174

Favorite Lodging Rocky Knob Cabins

http://www.virginia.org/Directory/PlacesToStay/?city=Meadows+of+Dan

Cowboy, Eck, & Gary, THANKS!! I appreciate all the detailed info on the BRP. That's pretty much what I've been told, hit the spots you want to see then jump off. I've ridden the lower end several times too, and I like it more every time. I agree that Bridal Veil is not what it was the first time I was there, evidently the rockfall affected it, but it does make for a good photo op. We took the walk down to Dry Falls when we were there in May, it was way cool! I'm going to sit down now and highlight these road numbers so I can get a sense of what info I have. Thanks again guys!!