IGNORED

backfiring

Sexagenarian

IMHO, more likely than not, as already mentioned, you have a small air leak in your exhaust system somewhere. It doesnt take much air being drawn in to create a combustion.. if the pipes check good, blow a little smoke around em and watch for movement in the smoke, a good tune up may help alot. With part of the tune up being a carb diaphram check up, intake manifold check, wires and plugs, air filters, carb sync, choke mechanisms checked and maybe a valve clearance checkup.. lots of things can cause it..

Let you in on a little declassified info.. Tweeks, our 83, has had the big boom thingy going on for a very long time.. I prefer to call it Tweeks Anti Cell Phone Device instead of a Backfire though.. She has this very very nasty habit of pulling up to the drivers windows where clearly the cager is in deep conversation on a cell phone or, worst yet, looking down and texting and just at the precise time,, KAAAABOOOM! Cantankerous old thang that Tweeks can be.. Oh yea,, she likes doing this when a car is sniffing around her pipe outlets to close, in tunnels, bridge over passes, teenagers who wave and people who point and laugh at er too.....

She has developed some nasty habits in her old age, hopefully your bike just needs a gasket and is not coppin an old age attitude brother!

Puc

Add a can of Seafoam to an almost full tank and run it until your next fill. Then do a carb tune.

If you still have popping/back fire....might have to check the carbs for condition of the diaphram, jets.

(I'm not a mechanic but from reading posts over the past years...this would be the simplest starting point)

• 3 weeks later...
hi guys I have a 01venture I have been trying to sync the carbs. but my problem is one carb wants to suck the fluid right out of the tool. any thoughts!!!!! Thanks Dana

Your carbs are way out of sync and need serious help. Try this. Remove the sync tool, put the bib caps back on, and then back off all the sync screws 2-3 turns with engine off.. Then start the engine and set the idle to around 1000rpm. It will likely run like cr@p, but it will run. Then turn in the #1 carb sync until the rpm starts to increase slightly, and then back it off just a tad. This is all done without the sync connected.

Now it's time to connect the tool and fire it back up. #2 and #1 should be pretty close to being sync'd and will only need to be tweaked. #4 and #3 will be way out. Start balancing 4&3. The idle will start to climb as they get closer to being balanced. Re-adjust the rpm's back down to about 1000rpm. You may have to do this a couple of times. Once #4 and #3 are equalized balance to #2 and #1. You should be good to go.

I think what may have happened is a P.O. or a wrench used the wrong screw to adjust the idle. It's more common than folks realize.

Funny thing happened to me last weekend. Our RSV trike has rarely popped or backfired. In fact, it is running very smoothly right now. While at a park in PA, was sitting on our idling trike, and a couple Harley riders walked past me. At that very instant, trike decided to pop. Thinking it was a salute. :rotf:

I think most of the original service manuals for the RSV had the synch screw location mixed up.

It should be...

The screw accessed from left side is actually for the left to right balance

The screw waaaay back in accessed from the right is the 1-2 synch

The screw closest to right side is the 3-4 synch.

Edited by Neil86