IGNORED

Road King pipes on RSTD

Guest JMAC71

Guest JMAC71

I put a set of Road King pipes on my 06 Royal Star Tour Deluxe and really like the different sound. I bought the pipes off of Ebay. I was going to drill them out but decided to just knock out the disk (plate) from the inlet side. Was a little work but not too bad. After installing them I wanted them a little louder so I driller 8 holes in the outlet end of each pipe and they sounded alot better. They turned out better than I thought they would. Fit perfect like the other trend said they would. I had to make a brkt for the back of the pipe to hold it up but wasn't a big deal. So if you want a lil more sound and want to experiment a bit I would suggest trying the RK pipes. I paid less than $30 for mine. I do have the stock ones complete to keep in case I want to put them back on if I trade the bike.

Jerry

• 3 weeks later...

Jerry,

my son put "stage 2" (rear baffle / pipe removed) RK pipes on his 06 RSTD. loved the sound.

then i performed the same drill-out procedure on my 07 RSV pipes. sounded richer & deeper - IMHO much better.

about a week later noticed the exhasust on my RSV had changed - sounded more "tinny".

little snot son had swapped the PIPES!

but he made up for it - bought me a set of Bubs.. LOVE 'EM!!!!

I just received a set of 07 electraglide slashcuts I bought off ebay for $40. Shipped them all the way to Australia. Fabbed a set of adapter brackets out of aluminum and bolted them straight on. Just the sound I have been listening for. A little louder than stock with a nice rumble on tickover and a good bark on the gas. No louder than stock at cruising speed. I'm happy.

I just received a set of 07 electraglide slashcuts I bought off ebay for $40. Shipped them all the way to Australia. Fabbed a set of adapter brackets out of aluminum and bolted them straight on. Just the sound I have been listening for. A little louder than stock with a nice rumble on tickover and a good bark on the gas. No louder than stock at cruising speed. I'm happy.

Steve.

I thought I could hear a distant rumble over there in the west.

Back from Bali Mate. (daughters wedding) I'm already pining for another trip east. Will get to meet you one day.

The rumble you can hear is from the missus. By putting on these pipes she's complaining that the mods have already started on the bike I was going to leave as stock.

Back from Bali Mate. (daughters wedding) I'm already pining for another trip east. Will get to meet you one day.

The rumble you can hear is from the missus. By putting on these pipes she's complaining that the mods have already started on the bike I was going to leave as stock.

Damn - don't that sound familiar?

• 2 months later...

2006 - and newer Harley FLH Touring mufflers are not the same side to side! Left side is basically a Boom Box and the right side is a muffler. Don't ask how I know! Bought a set off a 2007 Electraglide on e-bay and when they arrived - ugh! Cross checked the part numbers and guess what? They were correct for 2007. Also, you need to make sure that they are not Cat muffler & Cat box!:080402gudl_prv:

No they do not have to be Road King mufflers to fit our RSV or RSTD however they need to be muffler from a TOURING model. While I can't figure out the names of the Harley models, the only one that seam to be easy to remember is RK. The other thing is, when did Harley decided to put cats on their bikes? and why only one side? Anyway the early non cat muffler are going to be more and more scarce. I picked up a set from a later model with a cat on the right side. I installed them with no modifications and I am happy with the sound. I would take some credit for going green but only on one side? Go figure. Cat or not they sound the same and do what I wanted out of them.

Guest JMAC71

Just got back from a ride today and I love my RK pipes. Not really a Harley sound but a very unique sound. My RSTD is now set up as a solo rider. With mustang seat and driver back rest. I put the harley lights on my saddle bag rails. Did some personal chrome studs on the air cleaners. Put some studded bags on the windshield. Had the front wheel chromed. Added some additional lights. Local Harely shop offered me $10,000 for it on trade. I replied, "Are you kidding, you give me $10,000 and let me keep my bike, and then we might trade. :cool10: Seriously, I wouldn't trade my bike for a Harley. I do like their sound to a point but with the RK pipes on mine, I like it way better. The Mrs. has a Heritage Softail and guess what, since I have done this to my bike, guess which one she wants to ride all the time. And does, when I am not around. :whistling: LOL

Jerry

• 1 month later...

I sorry to hear that. I am not sure why that is:confused24:. On my RSV there was a noticeable difference, so much so that I am leaving them as they are. No modifications, BTW I think they have gotten a little loader with time. I would ride with them for a while, and then if you still not happy with them I would slowly start modifying them.

Found a set of Road Kings on Craigs list last week for $25. Installed them and like the sound, not as loud as I expected but better than stock. Question is, I'm not sure what year they are, and they both look the same so how can I tell if one has a catalytic converter?

Thanks,

Gary

Somewhere near the end of all the stamped message on the side of the muffler, it should say "cat" or catalytic. Mine did.

If you drill the rear cones out with a hole saw all the inside pipes should slide right out. Cut the pipes off 1-2 inches on the "inside" side of the cones, weld them back in place. Leave the mesh wire and insulation in place.

Then it won't matter if one had a cat in it and they sound great. That's the way it worked on the 06 set I have, anyway.

Jeff