IGNORED

Handheld CB microphone

MickO

I was wondering if anyone is using a handheld microphone for their CB radio. My friend has a Harley Ultra Classic with this setup and I like the way he is able to use a half-helmet with no headset. What experience have others had? If you are using a handheld mic, where did you get it? Can you provide a link? Thanks much!

I was wondering if anyone is using a handheld microphone for their CB radio. My friend has a Harley Ultra Classic with this setup and I like the way he is able to use a half-helmet with no headset. What experience have others had? If you are using a handheld mic, where did you get it? Can you provide a link? Thanks much!

Good luck with the search. I have been looking also for this setup. There is one out there somewhere for the GL1500 that would most likely work but they are not made anymore. J&M still makes the one for HD and so does HD make them. Our problem is that our bikes run a 5 pin set up and all the other GL1800 and HD use a 8 pin. I have even asked a CB shop if they would make me one and he said he wouldn't even try to make one. If I find a few older GL1500 mics I will let you know. I am looking one for my dad and myself but no luck so far.

To each his own, but this would represent a serious safety issue for me, unless, of course, one just happens to have a third hand! Where do you put the microphone (or your cell phone, for that matter!) when you need to use the clutch? Just wondering...

:cool10:

Terry

You might want to call Sierra. They have two for the Harley. One is for '97 and older and the other for '98 and newer. I'm thinking that the one for the older models MIGHT work. I know that Sierra can tell you, they are very knowledgeable. They may even have one for the Goldwing/Venture. I know that they used to.

http://www.sierra-mc.com/proddetail.asp?prod=JM%2DHMHU%2D65

The one for the older Hardleys I mean Harleys is a 5 pin connector. That might work, I dont know. I talked to a guy at they trailer down in Daytona and he flat out told me no but if your "MickO" find out they work let me know please.

I was told this works fine. This is from Harley's accessorry web site.

Hand-Held CB Microphone Kit

http://a1276.g.akamai.net/7/1276/734/94fb0c3ed8a8f9/resource.harley-davidson.com/media/images/hd/common/hd_spacer_e204.gif

Comes complete with handlebar mounting bracket and all necessary hardware.

http://a1276.g.akamai.net/7/1276/734/94fb0c3ed8a8f9/resource.harley-davidson.com/media/images/hd/common/hd_spacer_e204.gif

http://a1276.g.akamai.net/7/1276/734/e51c98c8448d2e/resource.harley-davidson.com/media/images/holiday2003/spacer_cccccc_1a21e.gif 76312-98

Fits '98-later FLHTCUI models and '98-later FLTR models equipped with CB Radio Kit P/N 76331-98. (Does not retrofit earlier models.)

MSRP US $99.95

Steve

Sooner or later you are going to want to do 3 things at once, pull the clutch, put on the brakes and talk into the mic. So which one are you not going to do????????seeing as the mic is already in your hand??????. You'll waste precious parts of the 2 seconds or less that you have to get out of trouble, that's why I no longer have that setup, it's just toooo dangerous. May be fine for a long time, but it's trouble in the making.

You might talk to Wild Hair 39. He has some type of hands free mic on his Voyager. All I know is when he transmits, he pulls the transmit trigger and leans forward to talk into a fixed mount mic. Works great (if ya don't mind leaning forward to talk.

:322:Ponch

You might talk to Wild Hair 39. He has some type of hands free mic on his Voyager. All I know is when he transmits, he pulls the transmit trigger and leans forward to talk into a fixed mount mic. Works great (if ya don't mind leaning forward to talk.

:322:Ponch

That's how I used my mic also, Had it hung on the cup holder. Just leaned forward some. Only used if for directions or to ask for a break.

I did use my hand held when travelling. Only on the highway, is it safe, probably no....but then how many of us take our hands off one or the other side just to shake some life back into them.

Oh, we all take our hands off the bars for many reasons, but if we were to use them for keying a mic to say something, what do you think will happen when we need our hand elsewhere, real quick? The first reaction will be to finish what we have to say, in a hurry maybe, but it will at least be given some thought, and that takes time, precious time which we can ill afford in a critical moment.

Oh, we all take our hands off the bars for many reasons, but if we were to use them for keying a mic to say something, what do you think will happen when we need our hand elsewhere, real quick? The first reaction will be to finish what we have to say, in a hurry maybe, but it will at least be given some thought, and that takes time, precious time which we can ill afford in a critical moment.

so----Carl, are you saying that a "hand held gps," "won't work , because it might be used at the wrong time"?

us pore folks , can't have , ZUMO'S and GARMIN's!!!!

lol

just jt

so----Carl, are you saying that a "hand held gps," "won't work , because it might be used at the wrong time"?

us pore folks , can't have , ZUMO'S and GARMIN's!!!!

lol

just jt

Yep, GPS ain't much good to you when you're upside down in the ditch, or deciding which hospital room you're in.