IGNORED

Left on side of road AGAIN

The exact same thing happened last night that happened 2 years ago. This time during a storm and with teenage son along on his bike. Last time it was a vapor lock This time not so sure. Driving along no problems then acted like it was running out of gas, felt like running on 2 cylinders. Then died. Tried turning it over and not even a sputter. Towed it home and tried starting it this morning and fuel pump does not click at all. Going to try a new fuel pump (OEM is 240.00) thinking about the Mr. Gasket 42's mod but the reviews on that pump are frigid at best. Suggestions? Anybody know what the PSI is? Carters pump is 120.00 and 4 PSI. Any help would be appreciated. Mike

The exact same thing happened last night that happened 2 years ago. This time during a storm and with teenage son along on his bike. Last time it was a vapor lock This time not so sure. Driving along no problems then acted like it was running out of gas, felt like running on 2 cylinders. Then died. Tried turning it over and not even a sputter. Towed it home and tried starting it this morning and fuel pump does not click at all. Going to try a new fuel pump (OEM is 240.00) thinking about the Mr. Gasket 42's mod but the reviews on that pump are frigid at best. Suggestions? Anybody know what the PSI is? Carters pump is 120.00 and 4 PSI. Any help would be appreciated. Mike

Try bypassing the pump first, see if it will runs. If it does then you know for sure it's the pump. The pump will not click if the carb bowls are full.

I have had the Mr Gasket for over a year with absolutely no problems. Note that when you turn on the key you will not hear the clicking. Instead you will only hear a little hum. It will not fit directly in place of the oem pump. Mine is just laying in the space where the pump goes. Again, zero problems from this pump.

SO Harleys are no worse that Yamahas is what you are :whistling:saying right.

Man wait till Freebird see's this thread with all the razzing he has been getting...

You better run out and get a fresh box of Band-aids cause your going to need them. :stickpoke:

Yeah, as noted try the gravity feed first.

I ran that way for about a week while pump was on order.

Just keep your tank over half full or you may not have pressure.

Also, look on this site for a post or two about replacing just the contacts in the stock pump. Sounds like a few have done that successfully for more like $50.

Then, it is still stock and you don't need to worry about the petcock.

I read on this forum that with the Mr.Gasket, you have to turn off the petcock every time you shut the bike off.

Mike,

If you bypass and find it is your fuel pump, take the back off the pump and look at the contacts. You may be able to clean them up and save the pump. Or....Somewhere on here is a link to replacement contacts for the OEM fuel pump. That is what goes out on them.

After July 12th, I have an extra pump you can use until yours is fixed/replaced. Unfortunately, I need it until then (multiday LD rally coming up and it is my spare).

RR

Mike I currently have a Mr gasket on my bike.It works ok but I have to remember to turn the gas off when stopped. There is another model that prevents this. Yes you need a pump around 3. 5 pounds pressure.they are around 50 bucks. Check the tech write up from goose. He lists all the different types.

Just tore it all apart. Still wouldn't run bypassing pump. Pump was running (Had to see if it would before I disconnected power) I do believe it's another case of vapor lock. Once I reconnected everything I could see fuel going through filter. Vapor lock must've freed up, it started. This make #4 times this has happened. Seriously considering selling my Mistress.

Edited by Mikealiasmike