IGNORED

New Whine this morning

My Daughter came down for the weekend. She's all of 105 pounds. I left the air shocks on "Low" but moved the rear damper to "2". She's my first pillion rider on the 89VR.

Got up to about 55mph and heard a new whine. Coming from rear....to me sounds like the drive shaft, guessing here that the increased weight changed the U-joint angles and it may be dry. About the only thing I haven't checked since I bought the bike recently is the drive shaft.

Thoughts?

and Thanks!

david

At least the whine is coming from the bike. They are easier to fix than human whining.

And actually I find my rear tire makes odd noises related to change in tire pressure. So, could the (slight) added weight maybe do the same?

Avon tire on the rear ? They make a serious whine in corners. And you need to have proper pressure. Most tires have MAX. rear 42psi. Typically when solo run 10% under max on sidewall. One exception Avon Venom-X. They take up to 50#. Meaning the Yamaha recommended pressures mean nothing. But also follow 10% rule when solo. If your daughter got off the bike and the whine went away it's the rear tire. FYI- suspension I have found following settings after 25 years with my bike......20psi solo = 200# load, 40psi= 350# load , 50psi= 400# load . Swing arm angle should not make any difference on drive shaft/diff. sounds.

LOL!

She was happy with ride...but it was too hot. She was glad I turned around to head home. She felt she could fall asleep the ride was so good. Uh oh.:shock3:

I'll be looking into the VR rear end this week. First, gotta take a look at the GMC Yukon. This am the brake warning light came on. First warning I've had on that truck since new...136K miles ago.

Good to know the swing arm angle shouldn't change anything.

Thanks,

david

Interesting day: Today was repair Yukon and VR day....huh!

Yukon shows no brake fault codes at all...none, zilch. Lights are out and running/stopping fine. What the????

VR - ran fine. Slight whine at 55mph like day before but no where near as loud. Checked air system...all good. No scrapes on fender, nothing to indicate a problem.

I give up. Must be the nature of the beast.

What most 1st Gen owners find, when they hear a whine while riding, is that there is a jealous 2nd Gen behind them that can't keep up. Once you lose the 2nd Gen, you lose the whine...:cool10:

We should do that. :sun: it would be interesting to ride a different 89 and see if there is a difference. I had my friends 2nd Gen for a couple of months while he was deployed and found all the issues i his bike. I felt bad when he came home and I listed all the things he needed to check and fix. After he rode my bike while following me on his, he felt the major difference in the handling. He even saw from behind how much I fought his bike while he was just cruising on mine.

Riding yours might be a payback for me and I will have to fix mine... :cool10: