IGNORED

How to get loose pieces out of a gas tank

stickhandle2

Hi Folks,

I am putting a 250 Marauder back together and getting it ready to sell, the tank has been painted and I have let the paint cure for the past month in our basement. Yesterday when I went to put the tank back on the bike, I noticed there were some loose pieces in it, I tried getting them to move around and fall out but to no avail.

My next thing is I was going to try to flush them out using the hose and then let it dry.

Any other hints.

Thanks,

Mike

What kind of pieces are they, hardware, stones, rust,,,,,,,,?

You could try one of those little grabbers used for getting screws out of tight places.

http://www.harborfreight.com/24-inch-2-in-1-pickup-tool-94162.html

OR

The proper application of high explosives can make any problem go away.

I like your thinking Jeff, but the explosives would have been for the Virago that was being worked on the weekend before. The pieces are just rust I think.

Kevin is there a preferred brand of chewing gum???

Thanks for the tips, much appreciated.

Mike

I get crap out of a dry tank with a shop vacuum cleaner.

-Pete, in Tacoma WA USA

The key word there is 'DRY' (and vapor free).

Most all vacuums use a (sparking) universal motor. And the filtered but still vapor laden air is blown by the sparking motor.

Be CERTAIN that there is no residual gasoline vapors in the tank before attempting to suck out the debris.

The key word there is 'DRY' (and vapor free).

Most all vacuums use a (sparking) universal motor. And the filtered but still vapor laden air is blown by the sparking motor.

Be CERTAIN that there is no residual gasoline vapors in the tank before attempting to suck out the debris.

Kevin, thanks for the added info....the tank has been empty since Feb when I took it in to get repainted. No vapours no residue in it at all.

My neighbor repairs fuel tanks. He have me a tip that has worked for him for years. With the tank removed, he adds soap to tank and then places a garden hose in the tank and leaves the water running. The foaming soap will them exit out the top. Pieces of rust etc. will collect on the soap bubbles as they exit the tank. Just an idea.

What a tuff crowd........... no verdict yet.

Too much rain last night, we don't have a garage so the bikes are all under covers, I didn't feel like working in the rain. Hopefully tonight.

Tuff crowd......maybe the stuff in the tank is money money......probably not my daughter was checking in there on Monday.......maybe she put the stuff in the tank just to jerk around old dad. rotten kid.

I do like the soap idea, clean out the tank and get to play with bubbles, like being a kid again.

Mike.

Well...

Whats the verdict?

I'm expecting to hear another question...

How do I get double sided tape, gum, magnet, flypaper and a vac hose out of my tank?:whistling::rotf::stirthepot:

Well We did it , the pieces are out

After some very heavy concentrating and looking over the situation again, it was time to lay out all the options at our disposal.......

We could try the magnet or the double sided tape on a pointed stick (made me want to go in a watch some Monty Python), get some flypaper and try that. Thought of the gum on the stick but I had to chew on that one just a little bit longer.

Or fill it with soap and watch the bubbles flow..........

I could always go and grab the vacuum and see just how well one of them Dysons really suck, or try the High Commanders idea of holding it over my head and shaking it.

Then of course we could always go back to #5.........

The suspense is killing ya I know

I did what any smart husband would do.....I held it over my head and try to shake them out.........awww no, but I did use a hybrid kinda of idea, I held the tank so the peices were all in the corner by the hole for the gas cap......then got the tape and wrapped a couple of fingers in tape and stuck my fingers in there and tilted the tank so the pieces rolled to the tape.....Ta Da it worked

So if anyone wants this to go into the technical librairies for future use I am ok with that, but it should have a name.

The stick your finger in the hole and hope you get it all method......perfect.....but it is not to be used on electrical sockets and outlets.

Thanks again to all for your suggestions.

Mike

:cool10::cool10::cool10::cool10:

Well We did it , the pieces are out

After some very heavy concentrating and looking over the situation again, it was time to lay out all the options at our disposal.......

We could try the magnet or the double sided tape on a pointed stick (made me want to go in a watch some Monty Python), get some flypaper and try that. Thought of the gum on the stick but I had to chew on that one just a little bit longer.

Or fill it with soap and watch the bubbles flow..........

I could always go and grab the vacuum and see just how well one of them Dysons really suck, or try the High Commanders idea of holding it over my head and shaking it.

Then of course we could always go back to #5.........

The suspense is killing ya I know

I did what any smart husband would do.....I held it over my head and try to shake them out.........awww no, but I did use a hybrid kinda of idea, I held the tank so the peices were all in the corner by the hole for the gas cap......then got the tape and wrapped a couple of fingers in tape and stuck my fingers in there and tilted the tank so the pieces rolled to the tape.....Ta Da it worked

So if anyone wants this to go into the technical librairies for future use I am ok with that, but it should have a name.

The stick your finger in the hole and hope you get it all method......perfect.....but it is not to be used on electrical sockets and outlets.

Thanks again to all for your suggestions.

Mike

:cool10::cool10::cool10::cool10:

Fantastic!

But I'm not gonna take the bait and comment on this one...:rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf: