I hooked up my passing lamps today. Found the wiring diagram here on this site, followed it, now here is what I have. With the lamps turned on, right turn signal works fine. Turn on the left turn signal, both turn signals and headlight flash and the radio goes dead. :think: I have gone over the wiring to make sure everything is hooked up according to the instructions that I have, but still the same thing happens. I have my power from the battery through a fused wire to a relay, from the relay I ran another wire to a seperate switch, from the relay another wire powered by ignition. Any ideas guys, sure could use some. Thanks.

:canada::7_6_3[1]::canada:

I am a little confused on how you wired it, this may summarize it.

Fused hot wire from the battery to the relay hot lead. Cold side of relay to passing lights.

The source wire to turn the relay on can come from the headlights or whatever you decide to activate the relay. The switch should be hooked to this wire before it goes to the relay.

Make sure you have a good ground.

If it's wired like this I would guess you have either accidently gotten two wires touching or you have a bad ground. You might be able to check the ground by touching a wire to a good ground and then to the metal on the spot lights.

Let us know what you find.

Spotsy

Well, I got my wiring woes all figured out today. Turned out it was a wire in the left front turn signal that was bare and grounding itself on the metal. Wrapped a good piece of electrical tape around it and it works perfectly. What a relief when everything works the way it is suppossed to.

On Arcs & Sparks drawing I like to do it a bit differently. Accomplishes the same thing thou.

My preference is using the switch as a ground for #85 and the for #86 I use a "key on" fused line to activate the relay once the switch grounds the circuit. Doing it this way there no power going thru the switch so they last a long time. I've never had to replace a switch due to arcing of the contacts.

Joopster55 here's a suggestion too to insulate that terminal- put some liquid tape on it. You may need a couple coats with drying time between coats but you won't be worrying about the tape coming off and repeating this problem again.

Anyhow just a couple tips here for what they're worth. Probably only :2cents:. :confused24:

Glad you found the problem thou.

Larry

Well, I got my wiring woes all figured out today. Turned out it was a wire in the left front turn signal that was bare and grounding itself on the metal. Wrapped a good piece of electrical tape around it and it works perfectly. What a relief when everything works the way it is suppossed to.

Word of warning, I would fix that wire soon. The first big rain storm U get caught in could short it out and blow your headlight fuse. Been there done that. Big flaw in these Yamaha light bars.

Word of warning, I would fix that wire soon. The first big rain storm U get caught in could short it out and blow your headlight fuse. Been there done that. Big flaw in these Yamaha light bars.

The passing lamps are not hooked up to the headlight. I've got a seperate fused wire from the battery to the relay, from the relay to a switch, from the relay to ignition key on. The switch operates the passing lamps indepently from the headlight. I can turn the lamps on or off whenever I want to.

The passing lamps are not hooked up to the headlight. I've got a seperate fused wire from the battery to the relay, from the relay to a switch, from the relay to ignition key on. The switch operates the passing lamps indepently from the headlight. I can turn the lamps on or off whenever I want to.

Yes but the wire that was shorted was to the turn signals that is on the HL circuit. I had mine wired pretty much the same as you do. Using the aux power through a switch to power the relay, with a fused link directly off the battery. Still not a good thing to lose your HL in a rain storm.