IGNORED

Need advise reparing cracked fairing

My radio has been going crazy so yesterday I went into the fairing. I don't have pictures yet but will try to describe what I found. Looking at the bike from the front and center the first tab to the right where a bolt goes to hold the windshield is cracked and the crack is almost completely across the tab. What is the best way to repair this? What kind of glue etc. Next the metal strip that has the 6 holes to bolt the windshiled is place is being held by a bolt in the center above the headlight. There are two bolts on each end of this piece that have a rubber washer and what looks like a rubber nut on the end and it appears there was a tab that this bolt attached to. It looks like a piece of the tab is broker so these two bolts are not doing anything to hold the metal piece in place. I'm very uneasy about riding my bike like this. It looks like the windshield could come off at speed. Any advise on how to fix this. The fairing was replaced under warranty in 2010 but is cracked already. Thanks for any help

Eddie, I have plastic to fix on the 1st gen soon ish, wanna get together and hold a plastic fix party? I'll see if I can get Mike to ride to Albany (insert evil laugh here). Joe's right about the jb wield stuff for plastic, but if you want to keep a larger supply on hand, get plastex.

http://www.jpcycles.com/product/606-493?utm_source=none&utm_term=adwords_labels%3DHardware%20and%20adwords_labels%3DTools&device=c&network=g&matchtype=&gclid=CLyglJWDgb4CFRQV7AodvRMAcw

Hey Keith R,

The first part of my post about the broken tab on the fairing isn't covered by the threads you mention but the second part of my question regarding the 2 bolts on each end of the metal part that holds the windshield bolts is covered by V7Goose's thread. I looked up the thread in the tech section yesterday and am going to try to do what he says. Thanks for your reply.

Hey GAWildkat,

Thanks for your reply. I would like to meet with you and Mike for help with the repair but I am going on a 4 day trip starting sunday so I have got to try to repair the crack before then. I may still need to get with you when I get back.

Another thing that I have been doing with good results is to use a universal pipe cement that is made for all types of plastic pipe.

I spread the crack apart as far as I can and work some adhesive into the crack and then close the crack and clamp if necessary to hold it together. Immediately wipe off any adhesive that oozes out on the painted side, it will mess up the paint if you let it sit on the paint. this will get you a part that is still pretty on the painted side and is now able to hold its shape.

I then spread a layer of the adhesive on the inside surface and immediately press in a piece of fiberglass cloth. Work the cloth into the adhesive with your finger to get it fully whetted. Apply more adhesive to any dry spots on the cloth. Once this hardens up you will have a repair that will not need to be repainted, and is stronger than it was originally, and has only added about the thickness of a piece of paper to the back side so fitting back in place is not an issue.

If you are using this on a tab with a mounting hole in it, just glass right over the hole and after it is set up is is simple to use an Exacto to clean out the hole.

I learned this technique repairing structural model arcraft parts. I have never before seen it mentioned on this site.