IGNORED

Wind Turbulence

I'm planning to buy an early Venture and I'd like to know how much wind turbulence I can expect around my helmet.

I have owned in the past a 1981 Honda CB900C that had a Hondaline fairing, I think the same one that went on the Goldwing and there was none around my head. I've also owned a 2004 Kawasaki Concours that protected me well from turbulence. However, I also have owned a 1983 Yamaha 750 Virago that with a full National cycle plexifairing III windshield had awful turbulence around my helmet. The bike had a long enough frame that I was seated too far behind the windshield I suspect. My current bike 1985 Kawasaki ZN700 has a short frame and I am seated close to the National Cycle Plexifairing III on it and there is no buffeting around my helmet.

It appears to me that the rider is seated a good distance behind the windshield on the Venture and wind buffeting around the head could be a problem.

What has been the experience of the Venture riders? the 83 to 93 Ventures.

Thanks Much!

My opinion for what it's worth. I'm 6'2". I ran the first few years with a stock height screen. Offeredo good protection in weather but when i wore my HJC trooper style half helmet at highway speeds I'd get a lot of movement. Didn't bother me much at all with a full face. Oddly enough i changed the screen to a Cee Bailey that was 2 inches shorter than stock. I got less turbulent movement on the half helmet with that screen and none with the full face. The issue wasn't the fit of the helmets, it was where the air was hitting the edges of the lid. I could ride with the face plate of my modular fully open with the shorter screen and it didn't bother me.

Due to damage to the screen recently (wind damage believe it or not) i just replaced it with a stock height Slip Streamer. Back to the half helmet movement again.

So I'm happier with a shorter screen. Seems to get the head out of the air turbulence.

But overall I've ridden my '84 almost 50,000 miles since i bought it. I can't remember a bike that offered better overall wind and weather protection and I've been out on the road it about everything. You find where you like to sit the saddle and view through or over the screen and i think you'll find the bike to be comfortable in the wind.

BTW the wind damage to mine was while parked during an afternoon of gusts in the 70 MPH range. My lucky day. I wasn't on the road.

From my Droid wherever I may happen to be at any given moment.

I'm now onto my 5th 1st gen Venture, and the best thing I ever did to 'em, was to cut the windshields in HALF!!

P1020934.JPG

I too am 6'2", and this windshield height gave me a nice airflow across the top of my helmet. Not too hard...but just enough.

It also made it so I could see right over the top of the screen too! (have I mentioned that I hate fairings???)

My newest aquisition, an '85 VR, is gonna go under the axe pretty darn quick here too.

I think they were tri star industries. Someone correct me if I'm wrong or they are now under a new name. The windshield they sold for the venture was perfect for me. It is tall and wide and took some getting used to but it is one of the reasons I love this bike over so many of the new touring bikes. The still air pocket behind this thing is enormous in my opinion. I was thinking about buying a spare one just incase they stop making them. I'm on my second one and it has a small crack from one of my accidents. Don't think I would like the bike so much with out it.

I could not find anything on the Tri-Star Industries website about motorcycle windshields.:confused24:

Back in the Nineties, Rick Butler and Dave Henderson had a company called Tri-Star Industries, in Dallas, TX that produced and sold various accessories for the first Gen Venture.

Quote from Rick's 1993 ad:

"Our Own Enlarged Light Tinted Windshields, Std. 26"H X 30"W, or Your Height.....$99.95"

attachment.php?attachmentid=83996&stc=1&d=1399302676