IGNORED

Ram gps mount question

Dale124

Hi all I just received a ram gps mount that apparently mounts on the brake or clutch reservoir, but I don't see how. I checked out a YouTube video, but they are mounting to a Suzuki that has a different type of reservoir. They say to remove the screws that hold it on, and replace them with the supplied screws along with the mount. This does not seem do-able on the RSV.

Any suggestions or pictures would be most helpful.

Thanks

Dale

There are two bolts that hold the brake reservoir to the handlebars. Remove those and replace them with the longer screws holding the RAM mount. Works great. Don't do it on the clutch side or the GPS will cover the radio controls.

RR

There are two bolts that hold the brake reservoir to the handlebars. Remove those and replace them with the longer screws holding the RAM mount. Works great. Don't do it on the clutch side or the GPS will cover the radio controls.

RR

just to clarify.... you are saying it sandwiches between the bar and the reservoir not on the lid?

RR

It doesn't seem to have normal type of bolts. There is no surface to put a wrench on, it's just round and flat!

I might just do the handlebar mount if I can't get this off

It doesn't seem to have normal type of bolts. There is no surface to put a wrench on, it's just round and flat!

I might just do the handlebar mount if I can't get this off

Oops. Those were just caps covering the bolts. I see now. I have mounted it further in on the handlebars instead, as it doesn't seem so "in your face" there. I just hope it doesn't slide on the handlebar when traveling. It looks good there though.

Dale

Oops. Those were just caps covering the bolts. I see now. I have mounted it further in on the handlebars instead, as it doesn't seem so "in your face" there. I just hope it doesn't slide on the handlebar when traveling. It looks good there though.

Dale

What GPS? I've had my Zumo 550 there for many years and it does pretty well.

RR

This is how I have my Ram Mount devices installed on my RSV. They are mounted on top of the clutch and brake reservoirs. They mount with a very short spacer included in the Ram Mount kit (approx. 1/4 inch or less) between the OEM reservoir cover and the Ram Mount.

Notice that I made a GPS rain cover from a plastic index card box. I also drilled a small hole thru the cassette deck cover (measure VERY CAREFULLY to ensure proper position) and I drilled a hole thru the side of the rain cover also.

I mount my GoPro video on the clutch side mount.

http://www.motorcyclelarry.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2_119&products_id=8&zenid=djst90qeu7fevnna7v3lkije33

I've been looking at these replacement master-reservoir covers with ram ball mounts but keep choking at spending $80 shipping to outfit both side of the handlebars.

Alwrmcusn, do you know the part # for the "over" clutch cover mount that you have?

http://www.motorcyclelarry.com/bmz_cache/4/45235aa7c31e3bf43bebc470af89c1e8.image.316x237.JPG

Edited by BratmanXj

• 1 month later...

There is a less expensive option on Amazon: [ame=http://www.amazon.com/Ram-Mount-RAM-B-346U-Vehicle-Bike/dp/B003CMNXIO/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1401930737&sr=1-1&keywords=RAM+BALL+RESERVOIR+COVER]Amazon.com: Vehicle Mount for Bike: Electronics@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41P84NKjduL.@@AMEPARAM@@41P84NKjduL[/ame]

This costs less and fits over you reservoir cover so there is no worry about proper seal or leaks.

When he said it bolts up to the clutch resevoir I thought it was one of these dual use types. they come with a rubber bushing sort of thing if you use the U clamp instead of bolting it to the clutch housing.

http://www.rammount.com/Gallery/images/RAM-B-309-1U/RAM-B-309-1U.jpg

By the way the alwrmcusn- I have oogled your expensive sun screen for the GPS before. Tell me is it mounted with the 2 screws on the back that also mount the GPS holder to the arm?

Edited by djh3

Sorry I have missed your query djh3 until just now.

Yes the two screw/bolts (you can see them in the photo) go thru the GPS frame, the index card box sun/rain box and into the diamond shaped gps mount that attaches to the RAM mount arm. Do make sure you align the index card box properly to allow access to the on/off switch on the GPS itself.

alwrmcusn: Which GPS? Looks like your mount very similar to mine for a Garmin 765. But which power cable are you using? I use the flat one that goes in the right side lower as your sitting on the bike. Its a bugger to get in and out without that box, so I dont know how I would even get at it to remove power cable.

I've bought both. Neither got installed. The one that uses the bolts on the clutch or brake side. Comes with weong size bolts. Imagine that. They give you three sizes and none work. So I took the ball out and put it on the passenger floorboard for a GoPro mount.

The one that goes over the resivor don't work either in my case something was in the way. So that got filed into the extra parts box.

What did work were the standard U bolt ones on the handlebars.

Another tip is that the arms that connect come in different lengths so you can get the unit where you want. I found the 3 and 4 inch most useful. I like having the phone and GPS mounted do no wind gets forced into them . (Behind the windscreen)

I have a lot of mounts. You would have to see it to believe it.

Yea currently my GPS resides on the right hand side in a RAM mount. My plastic e-bay find phone mount has been super for the 5-6yr I have had it and the maybe $20 I spent. I had to glue a rotating swivel it had which was OK as I didnt use it anyways. But I use a velcro to be an extra securing part just incase maybe the grips loosen or something. But a friend had the X mount thing on his Road star last year and it looked like it worked great.

Both are mounted behind the windscreen and unless its a gully washer I usually dont fret it.