IGNORED

Side stand switch

My bike will run with the kick stand down in gear. If you have the bike in gear and put down the ks the rpm's drop from 1000 to 500, if I put it back up the rpms return to normal. The cms shows the kick stand being down, Any ideas of what's going on?:confused24:

Hmmmm.......

Thats an interesting one.

The only thing I can think of is dirty contacts in the side stand switch that are not quite making the connection and the voltage getting thru is right on the threshold of shutting it down or letting it run.

This is purely a WAG on my part.

In addition to the side stand switch, consider the programming for the Ignitech. When I first installed the Ignitech, I could ride off with the kickstand down. It was a matter of programming in the correct setting.

Now, with your situation of dropping 500 rpm at idle when kickstand is down, that is strange, but before I swapped out anything, I would consult with Dingy and see if there is a fluke in the Ignitech settings.

The device that actually shuts down the ignition is the sidestand relay, which the sidestand switch triggers.

You might first try unplugging the sidestand switch, then starting the bike (will have to be in neutral to crank). Once running with switch unplugged, drop it into gear....

if the rpm still does the 500 rpm drop its likely in the sidestand relay, if the engine dies immediately now its probably in your sidestand switch or harness.

The sidestand alarm on CMS will be on with the switch being unhooked during the test.

Edited by Neil86

Hook Ignitech TCI up to laptop & read program into PC. I attached PDF on doing this.

Check Inputs #1 & #2 on the Miscellaneous tab.

Input #2 should be set to 'Kill", if that doesn't work, set it to 'Blocking'. You have to program changes into TCI after each change.

Call me if you need assistance, numbers are in profile.

There are separate wires to CMS and kill function to TCI in main harness. It may not be TCI issue.

Gary

Hook Ignitech TCI up to laptop & read program into PC. I attached PDF on doing this.

Check Inputs #1 & #2 on the Miscellaneous tab.

Input #2 should be set to 'Kill", if that doesn't work, set it to 'Blocking'. You have to program changes into TCI after each change.

Call me if you need assistance, numbers are in profile.

There are separate wires to CMS and kill function to TCI in main harness. It may not be TCI issue.

Gary

I am using the original TCI right now.

Try the suggestion above and jumper all 3 wires together at the connection point near starter switch on main harness side.

One is a ground wire, one goes to CMU and one goes to TCI.

Tying them all together is same thing that happens when side stand is down and switch is working.

This bypasses some safety circuits.

Gary

Try the suggestion above and jumper all 3 wires together at the connection point near starter switch on main harness side.

One is a ground wire, one goes to CMU and one goes to TCI.

Tying them all together is same thing that happens when side stand is down and switch is working.

This bypasses some safety circuits.

Gary

I jumped the 3 wires together and the RPMs increased. Iwas getting ready to change the relay and side stand switch, then I decided to try another TCI (another OEM) and it works as advertised.