IGNORED

Now, here's a bike ...

Guest BluesLover

Lou, i had an old "trail bronc", from a HEALD KIT BIKE, that would do all of that, with an 11 h.p. motor.

i never was able to get it stuck, or hung up. i'll buy another, if i ever see one.

oh and it was street legal , too.

just jt

Kewl!!! I was trying to see what was driving the front wheel, but couldn't find it.

I once owned a Rokon myself . Mine has the 10HP 2 stroke PowerBee motor . PowerBee was bought out by Chrysler if I remember correctly . It also has a carb made similar to an aircraft , where you could turn the motor upside down and still run . Now they are equipped with a Honda motor now . If you do not fill the tires with extra fuel , the Rokon will also float . I crossed several rivers where the water was chest high , kept the motor running and also kept the air intake above , high and dry . Only once did I get water in the carb and fouled out . I kept extra spark plug and just removed fouled plug , turned the motor over several times to blow the water out and replaced with fresh plug and was on my way in 15 minutes .

Mine had a transmission like a snowmobile . Had a centrifical clutch with variable ratio drive clutch as well . (if I explained it correctly ) From the variable ration drive clutch ,it fed from chain drive to jack shaft , split from there to a chain to the rear wheel and one to a right angle gear box attached to nut buster bar . A spring coiled shaft ran through the nut buster bar to the front where a universal joint allowed for steering ,then to another right angle gear box , then chain to front wheel . Most commonly on the right angle gear boxes , the brake rotors were located . The coils spring shaft in the nut buster bar allowed for limited slip , so it would relieve some of the wheel hop , similar to what most 4 wheel drive trucks do on dry pavement .

The Rokon is not riding a regular dirt bike . It takes some getting used too , especially in the turns cause by the both front and rear drive . However they are very stable once you get used to them . For such a small power plant in them , they are very strong . I hooked a garden plow to them and have pulled a Toyota P/U out of a mud hole . Worst enemy when pulling heavy object is no weight on the tires for traction .But we got 3 of us big boys on it to get the traction needed to pull the Toyota out .

They are a very useful means of transportation in heavy wooded areas . They can go where most ATV (4 wheelers) cannot go . Only downside is shooting off of them , as you have to either take the time to put the kick stand down or support the Rokon as you shoot (wouldn't recommend it ) , where as a 4 wheeler is stable as it rest on 4 wheels .

They do make a street legal version as well and has top speeds of 55 mph with a 3 speed tranny if I remember correctly . They are equipped with a spark arrester muffler as well . The US Forestry Dept. use the Rokon . There are many attachments/accessories for farming , mining , hunting , and sport.

And "NO" , they are not as fast as a 1st Gen !

BEER30

In the 70's for a short while, Rokon also made an enduro. It was only rear wheel drive and had a constant variable transmission just like a snowmobile. The dealer brought one out to the ranch for us to try and by the time my Dad was finished by the end of the day, it was trashed. With that CVT though, it was sure fun to wheelie.

Rokon has made these since the early 60's, maybe even before. The Tote Gote was a different bike and would go about anywhere with 1 wheel drive. My uncle was a dealer and I used to ride his every chance I got. I still would like to have either one of these around but if I had a choice it would be the Tote Gote. Much simpler, like a big mini bike. Evil handling but fun.

Jerry