IGNORED

final drive question

You will need to mill out a hole for the speedo sensor and plug the other one (see picture below).

If I remember right you can get a ready made one for around 300 US$ at Sportmax in PA, / John Furbur if you trade your original one in.

http://i1281.photobucket.com/albums/a501/jonaslill/Finaldrive_zps827b8070.jpg

I pretty much already know what the responses will be, but is it really worth doing the swap?

Is there any downside to doing the swap?

Are the higher revs at cruising speed (70 mph) a negative factor?

I've had my first gen for a while now, and jut bought my second gen late last Summer, and haven't ridden it enough to know if I feel I need the upgrade or not.

The first gen runs great, and while the second gen isn't as fast as Ol' Blue, it seems ok.

Opinions?:whistling:

Of all the performance mods you can do to the 2nd gen (not that many) the Vmax swap is probably the most noticeable of them all. It does raise the RPM's at cruise speed so you'd have to make that call if it's worth it. I do seem to drive a little slower now on the highway, but love the rest.

I'm going to do the final drive swap and see an 07 vmax final drive on ebay with the speedo sensor holes will this work? thanks,Chris

All 1st gen (1985-2007) VMax speedos were cable driven from the front wheel.

The one on ebay listed as coming off a 2007 VMax http://www.ebay.com/itm/07-Yamaha-VMAX-V-Max-Rear-Final-Drive-/380835892775?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&fits=Year%3A2007%7CModel%3AVmax+1200&hash=item58ab968e27&vxp=mtr#ht_5090wt_802

makes me think it is a Venture differential that had the shock mount boss milled and stud inserted to mount it on the VMAX. I did the same to my VMax.

If that's the case, this one on ebay has the same gearing that you have on your bike, not a true VMax ratio. So, you would gain nothing if you bought this one.

But it would be ideal for a VMax if someone wants to lower rpms.

All 1st gen (1985-2007) VMax speedos were cable driven from the front wheel.

If that's the case, this one on ebay has the same gearing that you have on your bike, not a true VMax ratio. So, you would gain nothing if you bought this one.

But it would be ideal for a VMax if someone wants to lower rpms.

Agree. I wouldn't get that one.

Some people do put a Venture shaft drive on the VMAX to lower cruising RPM's.

My friend did but he didn't care for it.

Agree. I wouldn't get that one.

Some people do put a Venture shaft drive on the VMAX to lower cruising RPM's.

My friend did but he didn't care for it.

Yup.

I bought one from a brand new wrecked 2007 Venture with only 67 miles on it.

Drilled and mounted the shock boss and installed it on my '98 VMax. Love it. I'm 55 now and don't hooligan (much) anymore. So, I don't miss the original acceleration of the VMax.

With only a 4 gallon gas tank on the VMax, the extra mileage I get really helps out.

I may take the stock VMax diff I still have and mill out the speedo boss and try it on the Millenium just for kicks. If I end up installing our two person sidecar on the MM and not the Royale, I'll definitely do that swap.

Good luck with your endeavors.

Well, at 55, physically, I'm in great shape, so that's not my concern.

But we do have a 4 year old son and will be adopting another this summer. He will be 4 when we get him.

So, I kinda have to start being careful...at least reasonably so. Hence, the sidecar project.

Thanks Beau-Kat! Just the factual knowledge I was hoping for! Bought a final drive off a 98 v-max today. My reasoning for the swap is this (and please your opinion is welcomed) my girlfriend and I are renting out the house here in Honolulu for a year, shipping the bike to San Diego picking up the trailer (trailmaster arizona) I just purchased and going everywhere in the lower 48 for up to a year.

Sounds like a good choice to me. Expecting a loaded bike with trailer trip would make you appreciate the lower gearing of the VMax diff.

Good luck.

I just got a response from the seller of that 2007 VMax diff on ebay. Let me see what it says and I may post it on here, for educational purposes.