IGNORED

Embedded vids freeze PC

SilvrT

Dunno what's going on lately but whenever I play one of those embedded vids, my PC totally freezes. No mouse, no keyboard....nothin. and the vid sounds like a music cd when it's skipping .... anyone else having this problem or know what's causing it? This only started recently.

I doubt the Virus Theory.

Had similiar happening on my brand new and unspoiled VISTA Notebook when opening a Site or a Board with a Lot embedded Videos ...

It didn't freeze or lock up, but needed more than 3 Minutes to regain Control. These Videos want to download their starting Point plus some Secinds ahead. So if there are a Lot of Videos, the Bandwith and Speed limits the usage. And maybe the Video Provider limits the outgoing Connections.

Guess this is the downside of something quite handy.

I doubt the Virus Theory.

Had similiar happening on my brand new and unspoiled VISTA Notebook when opening a Site or a Board with a Lot embedded Videos ...

It didn't freeze or lock up, but needed more than 3 Minutes to regain Control. These Videos want to download their starting Point plus some Secinds ahead. So if there are a Lot of Videos, the Bandwith and Speed limits the usage. And maybe the Video Provider limits the outgoing Connections.

Guess this is the downside of something quite handy.

Maybe increase your virtual memory size?? Sounds like you're not able to buffer enough ahead to give the vids an even playback??? I've also found that cleaning out the saved webpage history helps make some room....

Maybe increase your virtual memory size?? Sounds like you're not able to buffer enough ahead to give the vids an even playback??? I've also found that cleaning out the saved webpage history helps make some room....

Are you refering to the Swap-File Size ?

This Notebook has 2GB of RAM and another 1 GB Swapfile. If that's not enough, i don't what might help. Browser is Firefox.

IE7 quit on me with an Error, MS does nothing about it ... UH ... MS ... Maybe they are on Viesta ?? I keep my Mouth shut.

Are you refering to the Swap-File Size ?

This Notebook has 2GB of RAM and another 1 GB Swapfile. If that's not enough, i don't what might help. Browser is Firefox.

IE7 quit on me with an Error, MS does nothing about it ... UH ... MS ... Maybe they are on Viesta ?? I keep my Mouth shut.

No Squeeze.

Rather than go into a long response, Here's a link that will give you an idea, but basically it increases RAM.

So how do you increase the virtual memory, Condor? I looked at the Wikipedia link below and didn't see how to increase, just what vitual memory is. :confused24::confused24::confused07:

Hey thanks for the Link, this is the 'swap File' Size i've meant. On Windows Systems, the File itself is named Pagefile.sys and sits in the Root of the primary active Partition.

Since Windows NT 4.0 the Size of the File is managed by System default, which means that the Size changes with the Jobs at Hand, but you can set it to a big fixed size which helps not getting too much Fragmentation on the Hard Drive.

First thing i do when installing a new System is to fix this File Size, because Defrag Tool won't move this File Fragments. The earlier you fix this, the more upfront and in Line is this File located on the HD. Now this helps in faster File Transfer. Which leads to a better overall Performance.

Guest tx2sturgis

This might be too technical, but you may have a loose thingamajig in your frazlenator. Try adjusting the whatzit next to the whatchamacallit. This can be found by removing the hooplascooper bolts and prying off the linkmaters fasteners...

:whistling:

This sort of thing is exactly why I switched to a Mac. When windows breaks, it leaves you scratching your head, and the gurus will always say the fix is to reinstall windows.

Geeze.

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h113/tx2sturgis/show/avatar8502_12.gif

This might be too technical, but you may have a loose thingamajig in your frazlenator. Try adjusting the whatzit next to the whatchamacallit. This can be found by removing the hooplascooper bolts and prying off the linkmaters fasteners...

:whistling:

That sounds just like everything else in this post to me! :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

On what System ??

Squeeze, I'm using Windows XP (Pro, I think) on a Gateway Laptop that is about 4 years old.

I mainly use Firefox, sometimes I use IE7.

Start/ System Control/ System/ Properties / Extended / System Performance / Extended / virtual Memory / user defined Size/ set both Values to the same Size (minimum half Value of your installed RAM or same Size if your Hard drive has enough free Space on it).

I translated this from my German System, the Extended may vary on a English Language Version.

I would suggest to change to no Swap file (Size 0) in first Place, then defrag the Drive without Swap File, restart Computer and set the Values as described above. This lead to an unfragmented Swap file somewhere in the middle of the Drive, but better to have the File in the middle than to have it in Portions all over the Drive.

I don't think that's your problem. I'm running a 1.86 GHz processor on the notebook with only 1 GB of RAM and they all open and play fine for me. Unless you are running a LOT of stuff in the background, memory shouldn't be the issue. OH...and I'm running Windows XP and Firefox but IE works fine also.