IGNORED

Scared myself this morning.

CMCOFFEY

I went out this morning to start the bike to leave for church. Then I noticed the left pipe smoking like nobody's business. I immediately thought oh crud, my bike is messed up big time. I decided to ride anyway, and about 5 mins into my ride it hit me... Oh yeah, I am using seafoam. Feel much better now and it was not smoking when I got to church.

Did you put Seafoam in the oil or just the gas ?

Seafoam in the bottom end is good too but most wait until close to an oil change then run it for 100 miles or so to flush out the bottom end. If you run it in the oil then you'll get "smoke" thru the pipes.

My left pipe produced what could be called smoke when my head gasket started leaking. If sea foam in the oil causes smoke you would think it would smoke both sides. Hope it is not a tell of more serious problems.

kickshot

Seafoam in the gas tank does smoke equally out of both pipes. However from time to time the left side is worse at start up due to being leaned that way for too long. If the problem was worse the smoke would not have stopped, and it would do it every time i start. I'll keep an eye on though. Maybe a full engine rebuild is in my future.

Speaker of smoke out the pipes, I have an unhappy husband, he took 2 weekends to work on doing a lifter adjustment on his 04 Volusia. Today he got everything back together today, got the bike cranked, and now there's a tick low in the engine...friend think a push rod got bent..Mike can't afford to take another weekend away from schoolwork to work on the bike right now. So look like I call a. Shop in the morning and see if they can be reasonable and do the work. All kinds of pretty white smoke came out the pipes when he was cranking it.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Speaker of smoke out the pipes, I have an unhappy husband, he took 2 weekends to work on doing a lifter adjustment on his 04 Volusia. Today he got everything back together today, got the bike cranked, and now there's a tick low in the engine...friend think a push rod got bent..Mike can't afford to take another weekend away from schoolwork to work on the bike right now. So look like I call a. Shop in the morning and see if they can be reasonable and do the work. All kinds of pretty white smoke came out the pipes when he was cranking it.

Hey Kat,, if memory serves me correctly (and sometimes it doesnt) I thought the Suzuki V-twins were all cam chain, not push rod motors..

You may be right. The friend while he owns an old yammy of some yr primarily rides a harley,, great guy alot of experience . Mike and I are still newbies to bikes and the mechanics of them.

Which one is it Kat, the 800 or the 1500??

805cc

Kat, if all Mike did was adjust the valves in it there is a good chance that he has a valve or two to tight, the 800 uses the same kind of valve adjustment as the old Honda's - bolt thru a tappet with a lock nut - very easy to get em to tight.. Not sure if they have a compression release, if they do it could also be as simple as adjusting it..

Neither of those require a tear down so the costs might not be that bad...

Kat, if all Mike did was adjust the valves in it there is a good chance that he has a valve or two to tight, the 800 uses the same kind of valve adjustment as the old Honda's - bolt thru a tappet with a lock nut - very easy to get em to tight.. Not sure if they have a compression release, if they do it could also be as simple as adjusting it..

Neither of those require a tear down so the costs might not be that bad...

Yeah, Mike's tossing around the idea of redoing the adjustment again. He's already decided to sell the bike, so either he will be able to fix it or part it out. It's been a great bike to learn on, but the 35mi commute on the interstate each way hasn't been kind to it. He debated keeping it to trike for me, but its not the best midsize bike to trike. I just want my husband happy. I'm tired of seeing an overstressed husband. Riding has given him a lot of joy these last 3 years. I'm mostly afraid he's learned an expensive lesson. Sorta. He's still learning about everything. Sunday I noticed the zuki needed a new front tire, he argued he didn't, our friend corrected him and explained why. The Venture needs a new front tire too, told him he needs to do that before he rides it again..."it can wait a month" It's a bad habit he got into with the cars... partly due to the income we had. I'm kinda hoping he can get talked into tires come maintenance day.