IGNORED

Crack in Radiator

Hello all !!

It's been a while since I've posted on the site but I've always peeked in to see what's been going on. With the winter dragging on endlessly here in Oklahoma and making plans to take a couple of lengthy trips this summer, I've decided to let the local shop do some maintenance items for me. The plan was since the bike (99 RSV 77k miles) was due (or overdue) for the suggested valve adjustment and had a leaky valve cover gasket it was time to just take it in and get these done at the same time. I also told the shop that if they were into it far enough to replace the suspected leaking thermostat gasket (which was an assumption on my part by all the discussion on the forum), they were to do that also before giving her back to me.

Long story longer....they called me and said there was actually a crack in the radiator tank, that may hold under a repair, but really suggested a replacement. Since we are planning a ride to Key West in May and Oregon in September, I thought it best to just have it replaced and remove the worry/ doubt on the road.

My question is ....finally.. Anybody had this before? Is this common, or just a fluke for me? I've looked and haven't seen much on this topic. I'll go have a look at the old one and maybe snap a picture to upload this week.

Thanks for the input in advance.

Creole.

:mo money:

Is it the radiator or the small filler tank up by the gas tank? Depending on the place the radiator is leaking it may be repairable. The top and lower tanks are plastic and ABS. What kind of a price are they looking to get to replace? If you have mechanical skills and somewhere to do it, its not a terrible job. Just a bit more than exchanging the fluid. But here is something in your favor for the shop doing it. They are part way there when doing the vavle check. They should have the left leg faring off and water drained anyways to preform the check as there are thing concerning that cooling system that had to come out. So they shouldnt charge you twice for removing the leg cowl, drain and fluid for the rad. Another thing to find out, is it leaking from a plastic part or the core. The core should be very repairable. Plastic, unless a radiator shop knows something I have not heard of they just throw them in the trash most times if plastic is hurt. I just looked at Bike Bandit and MR Cycles and the rad goes for over $300 ouch.

Edited by djh3

I went through two of them until I added to Wagner Rad Cover.

that was 8 years ago. I even took one of them and had

them solder the leak. now it is a back-up I guess.

If you think about it, look at all that open space for rocks or whatever

to hit the rad. also think about a mud flap on the front fender.

good luck and have a safe trip.

Thanks for the input guys. Up to this point I haven't seen it yet myself but hopefully will on Tuesday. I've already given the go ahead to order a new one from Yamaha. Yes they are pricey but it was already in the shop and torn down so they shouldn't charge much more labor except what the radiator takes to swap. I knew there was a leak and feel fortunate it didn't let me down on last summers 3k mile loop through Yellowstone. I just assumed it was the thermo gasket everyone talks about because it didn't leak when it was warm or all summer for that matter. I was just curious if it was a common problem on these bikes, but in all reality for a 99 with almost 80k on the ticker it's not really a surprise. The real surprise should be along the side of the road. Glad I had it looked at. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk