IGNORED

Placebo Effect

rutman

I took the same placebo. I bought my 2008 with 8K miles a few years ago. It whined noticeably around 50-55 mph. When I changed oil for the first time, I went with Motul 7100 synthetic. The whine disappeared. I have no idea what the previous owner used. I now have 25K miles on the bike and the whine remains a thing of the past. :cool10:

What I have gathered from reading about the whine for many years is that some oils will help some bikes. BUT the oil that helps bike A may not help bike B, and the oil that helps bike B may not help bike A.

The only thing I have been able to gather is to keep trying different oils till you find the one that YOUR bike likes.

There are a lot of oil threads out there, I do not think there is a "bad" name brand oil available. Regardless of oil used, we just do not hear of oil related issues on these engines.

What I have gathered from reading about the whine for many years is that some oils will help some bikes. BUT the oil that helps bike A may not help bike B, and the oil that helps bike B may not help bike A.

The only thing I have been able to gather is to keep trying different oils till you find the one that YOUR bike likes.

There are a lot of oil threads out there, I do not think there is a "bad" name brand oil available. Regardless of oil used, we just do not hear of oil related issues on these engines.

I agree. Main thing is to change it when it needs it.

The oil company marketing departments would have us believe the unless we use their oil we're damaging the engine. The only oil related engine failure I've ever seen was a Suburban driven by my ex-wife. It's unclear how long she drove without oil before it failed.......