IGNORED

Big Bike Parts LED HL

My first impression is to not trust them.

I avoid places that LIE to me.

In the video on that page they are claiming it is 80 watts, with 16, 5 watt LEDs.

Then they claim it is only a 1/2 Amp power draw so you will save energy.

It is pretty simple math, 80 watts at 12 volts is 6.67 Amps.

Your stock headlight is 55 watts at 12 volts draws 4.58 Amps.

In the video on that page they are claiming it is 80 watts, with 16, 5 watt LEDs.

Good point, I had not looked at the tech aspects.:backinmyday:

Wow. I didn't know. Seems like a little funny business here.

I have been doing a lot of research into this and found that even though they may say "80 Watts" they are not even close to that wattage see what you need to check are the lumens between the LED and a standard bulb. A lumen is similar to the measurement of candle power when it comes to lighting. Here is a direct easy comparison look at a 55 watt sealed beam headlight, a 55 watt Halogen, and a 55 watt HID. in the order I have them each has a "brighter" beam of light even though they are all rated at 55 watts but if you were to check the lumens between them you will see that in the order in which I have them they get progressively "brighter" because even though they are rated at 55 watts they are totally different when it comes to the amount of light produced. I hope this is starting to make sense here.

So back to the original ask are they really 80 watts well they may be when you compare the lumen output of a sealed beam 80 watt bulb to the LED they are the same output. So I really think the only reason they rate the LED and others in the wattage like they do is to remove the confusion between the different types of lights out there. Keeping that in mind an LED that is equal to a standard light bulb is using less wattage than the standard so an 80 watt LED may really only be 20 watts but it's output is equal to an 80 watt bulb.

"Luminous efficacy is the measure of the visible light from a light source. The maximum level of efficacy from lumens is 683 lm/W. A light bulb light source is measured at 10 to 15 lumens per watt. A compact fluorescent light can produce 50 to 75 lumens per watt. LED lamps provide 50 to 100 lumens per watt. The amount of watts per lumen depends upon the type of light source that is being measured. "

Reference: www.efi.org

http://www.ledlightingexplained.com/led-lighting-myths/

http://www.ledrunlights.com/ledlights.html

I just added this I swapped out my Halogen 35 watt driving lights for some custom made LED driving lights with a 55 watt bulbs. Now before the swap my bike voltage would drop a good 1 1/2 volts when I turned on the halogen lights. I swapped out the Halogen ones for the "larger" LED lights and now if it drops a 1/2 a volt it is dropping a lot. So I went from halogen 35 watt to 55 watt LED and I am putti9ng less o0f a load on the charging system.

Edited by PGunn

Something that I notice with those style of replacement bulbs is they dont use the headlights, or any lights, reflector very efficiently. The reflector, which projects the beam of light fwd and is where a lot of your illumination comes from. The bulb can be super bright, but if it doesn't project a good beam, or swath of light then it's useless.....

:2cents:

Something that I notice with those style of replacement bulbs is they dont use the headlights, or any lights, reflector very efficiently. The reflector, which projects the beam of light fwd and is where a lot of your illumination comes from. The bulb can be super bright, but if it doesn't project a good beam, or swath of light then it's useless.....

:2cents:

Squidley is 100% correct on this also I tried the LEDs I bought and quickly found out that in the driving lights the projecting light beam was more a mismatch and didn't give me what I was expecting. I ended up going with projection housings in place of the standard lens which gave me even more than is was expecting.

BUT, in ALL of the adds I see on TV for LED lighting for the home and all of the in store packaging that I find, they always state both the actual watts, and the "equivalent watts". So they are stating that this LED will put out the light of a 60 Watt incandescent bulb but only draws 6 watts.

The headlights in question make no mention of equivalent watts, or lux, or lumen, candle power, mcd or anything else related to light output other than watts. Watts is a measure of power used and has no relationship to light output. These do specifically state that there are sixteen 5 watt LEDs in the bulb to get 80 total watts. Actual 5 watt LEDs are fairly common and are about the size of what those in the picture look like.

The LED lights I bought to add to my bike are listed and advertised as 20 Watts, they actually do draw 20 watts of power, I measured it. That is the correct way to sell something. I do not like misleading adds, it forces me to think, what else are they stating incorrectly that might be important that I did not catch?

All they would have to do is to change the add to say that the light output of these LEDs are "equivalent" to an 80 watt halogen and it would make everything plausible. As stated the ad is contradicting itself and renders it unbelievable. When I look at an ad, I only look at what is actually printed or stated, I do not fill in what I think should be there, or what I think they meant. They said what they meant.

For instance, Here is a LED headlight bulb that is rated 50 watt because it actually is 50 watts and draws 50 watts of power.

http://www.hidvisioncanada.com/led-1800lm-H4-H7-H11-9005-9006-headlights.html

Here they list all of the specifications and hide nothing.

But notice that honest power has a price tag.

If you look at true High power LEDs you will see a common theme, big heat sinks and/or cooling fans.

For instance, Here is a LED headlight bulb that is rated 50 watt because it actually is 50 watts and draws 50 watts of power.

http://www.hidvisioncanada.com/led-1800lm-H4-H7-H11-9005-9006-headlights.html

Here they list all of the specifications and hide nothing.

But notice that honest power has a price tag.

Those are the same bulbs I bought from Cnd Cruiser Customizing and provided the link to them in my previous post above. Cheaper there too but have not installed it yet. You can buy individual or a set. Got a set so I have a spare for future.:canada:

Those are the same bulbs I bought from Cnd Cruiser Customizing and provided the link to them in my previous post above. Cheaper there too but have not installed it yet. You can buy individual or a set. Got a set so I have a spare for future.:canada:

That sure do look like the same bulbs.

I'll be curious as to how they work compared to both the stock bulb and HID.