IGNORED

Bringing an 83 back to the street (hopefully)

I traded for an 84 with 25K miles that doesn't have a title and has been left neglected uncovered in a carport for about a year. It was one of those it ran when I parked it kind of thing. looks like most of the pieces are intact, although some of the body work is cracked here and there, but nothing serious. my goal is to make it road worthy and safe to be able to take on some short trips. if we like that sort of thing then upgrade to a newer model somewhere along the way.

started tearing pieces off of the frame to get an idea where all the key components are located not to mention reading a lot of posts on here for vital information. looks like somehow the PO blew the main fuse, swapped that out for an inline style from NAPA, filled and charged the battery and turned the key and it appears all the main switches function: turn signals, horn, lights, as well as the digital display. that is a good start anyway.

checked fluids and the oil is really clean, looks almost new. has coolant nice and green, smell gas in the tank but pretty sure it is nasty, the fuel gauge showed 1/4 tank. put some oil down the cylinders and hit the start button but apparently the battery isn't strong enough as it just clicks the solenoid. not that I wanted it to start just yet, but see if it cranked anyway.

next step is to drain the gas tank and put fresh gas in it along with some seafoam in the carbs and let it soak, get a good jump from a decent battery and check everything else out functionally. and then try starting it. I don't have much hope of it actually starting and running decent without some serious carb cleaning but if it cranks and tries to start I am ok with that!

Edited by mcgyverit

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You could bypass the fuel system for a short start test by using starting fluid sprayed into the airbox.

Regarding using a jump start, DO NOT JUMP START FROM A RUNNING VEHICLE. Jump start from a known good battery only. Damage to the voltage regulator can occur if jump started from a running car/truck.

-Pete, in Tacoma WA USA

On your title issue, did the previous owner loose the title or never have one? What is the deal in MO on getting a title on a 30 year old vehicle? In some states, on a vehicle that old, all you need is a bill of sale.

Welcome to the group and don't be shy. We can all learn from your questions and answers given. Once you get all the bugs worked out, you may want to take some longer trips. Many of us with way over 100,000 miles don't think anything about jumping on our bikes and making trips 2,000 miles and more.

RandyA

Welcome to the site and good luck with the new to you old bike.

You might want to clean the "block" ground from the battery it located in the right front of the engine. The 83 I worked over after setting about 3 years needed cleaning. Also , if it turns over slowly you might want to invest in a starter motor off a 2 nd gen with 4 brushes, makes a big difference in starting.

Make sure you have good battery. If the voltage is low it will crank alot but won't fire up.

You may want to pull the small round cover on the left side (sitting on the bike), and use a wrench to turn the engine over by hand just to make sure its free.

There is a great group of knowlegable people here that are willing to give great advice. If you have a problem ask.

Good luck and post pictures.

here are a couple pics the day I picked it up

PO had a BOS from the PPO but that was it. as far as the title goes, not really a big deal, there is a form to fill out and you have to get it notarized and then they will send you a new title with the current owner of record, then pay all the taxes and fees and 2=3 weeks later you have a title in your name. although I am not sure what I put down for the purchase price since I traded a rifle for it..... worry about that when the time comes

Edited by mcgyverit

mine hadn't run in years when I got it. 2 years ago. last year we drove it down to Huston mo area. we loved it, plan on riding some distance this year also. if you think its stuck put in gear and rock it back and forth. I have about 2000 in mine now. all new parts. yours shouldn't be any way near that much. not to bad to work on and there is a wealth of knowledge here.

Steve,

If that's the original paint, you have an 84 standard and not a 83. If so, the bike probabaly has all of the recall issues of the 83 already made.

Good luck,

Rick

here are a couple pics the day I picked it up

PO had a BOS from the PPO but that was it. as far as the title goes, not really a big deal, there is a form to fill out and you have to get it notarized and then they will send you a new title with the current owner of record, then pay all the taxes and fees and 2=3 weeks later you have a title in your name. although I am not sure what I put down for the purchase price since I traded a rifle for it..... worry about that when the time comes

Bongobob - windshield is pretty much toast as you called it. is this typical of that year/vintage bike? if I put a new one in I would hope that this wouldn't happen again.

Pete - the seat cover is toast already, so a recover is in order. mostly a belt and suspenders kind of thing. I have heard firsthand how bikes ended up on their sides during transport due to improperly securing them and wasn't wanting that to happen.

Rick - the color is faded, but maroon or burgundy. anyone know if there is a VIN check list somewhere that could tell me for certain what year it is? at least before I get the title sorted out.

good news today with a temp of 0, I did get it to crank very slowly, part of which was due to the temp I think and partly because the battery is probably toast. but this means I need to keep going and will begin the steps to get it running. then going and stopping.

if its not already done you will want to relocate your tci to above the air box and yo may want to open it up and replace the 8 diodes in it unless they are already toast if thats the case get in touch with member dingy he may still have a ignatech tci all plug and play and as bob said the winshield looks like toast with only 25k on the clock its not even broke in yet check the last 4 of the vin if im not mistaken 1411 and earlier has the 2nd gear issue which requires splitting the case to fix keep us posted on your progress you will indeed love the bike

The last 4 digits are 1663 so if I understand it right it should be good on the tranny

Yes, at that number, the trans should have had the upgraded harder thrust washer, so your trans should not have the 2nd gear problem.

No, that is the last four for 1985 that was fixed...

Bob, it sounds like you are saying.........no, scratch that, I'm not real sure what you are telling him. :stirthepot:

RandyA

thanks for the correction i dont know what i was thinking but those are my last 4 on the vin so im going to have that problem i just hope its not for another 20+ k down the road they dont like to be babied but i am babying mine in 2nd now 1st 3rd 4th and 5th are a different story :322: